The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > "Twilight": The Movie

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Nov 22, 2008 07:02AM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Since Twilight is shaping up to be an "event" movie, I thought I'd start a new thread. Feel free to copy/paste thoughts from other threads.

I could go on & on about Twilight, but I know people like short posts. :)

POSSIBLE VAGUE SPOILERS: BEWARE:

I have to say...it started a bit rough for me. When the Cullens are first introduced, and for a good part of the first part of the movie, I couldn't look at them, especially Edward. I just kept cracking up at his pasty face and his crazy ("Edward Scissorhands" as my husband called it) expression. Jasper was the worst. But it got better for me.

As a whole, I thought it was a sweet, entertaining movie. Dissected frame by frame, there were some cheesy moments, some cool moments, some sweet moments. I thought the director made the most of the natural scenery to create a brooding, other-worldly atmosphere. As a whole, not a waste of my money.

My favorite part: When the Cullens are first introduced at the school, everyone in my (packed out--and it was showing on 3 screens) theater was kind of holding their breath (where the heck is Edward? I just spent $18). So then Edward walks out, and a lot of the girls start howling at the screen. One girl lets out this big growl. Then everybody laughed. I love that stuff.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) i went to the premiere at midnight..who would have known that all of the crazy 13 year old girls would have been allowed to go that late on a school night!! I thought maybe i would bypass some of that by going that late. well..i didn't..they screamed and screamed. haha and i was by far the oldest person there. besides some poor parents who were dragged there. the movie was ok..i mean..im glad i saw it..but i wasn't really impressed..but then again i didn't go with high expectations for it. my sister went with me and she never read the books and she didn't care for it either but she is now interested enough to read the books...and i agree..they overdid the pale thing! they could have gone like one shade darker and i think we would have all gotten the point that he was pale. haha.

message 3: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I was stuck in theater full of little girls last night...the one I sat next to said the lines before the characters said them and I had to yell at her to shut up.
I thought the movie was a little cheesy, especially special effects wise. And I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be so unintentionally funny or not. With all the interviews and everything I've been reading for months I expected a lot more. I did enjoy it, and I'll probably go see it again by myself - without a moping boyfriend.

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Justine - I had a very similar experience. As far as the little girls go, they giggled and talked a lot, but I was happy that we didn't have any screamers there last night. My DH didn't mope though. Instead, he laughed through the whole thing - mostly due to the effects (Road Runneresque running and the sparkle). I was in agreement with him on the effects, which was disappointing, and I thought some of Edward's facial expressions were stranger than necessary, but I actually enjoyed the movie overall. I'm thinking of taking a couple of my kids to see it someday soon.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

The movie will be coming out in January in Germany, so they are still showing trailers and stuff.
I went to the movies last night with a friend and he's really not into romance-type movies. While we were waiting in the foyer he realized a Twilight-poster and asked if I knew what sort of a movie that was going to be so I summed the story up a bit and said how disappointed I was with how it flattened out already halfway through the first book.
When the trailer was on, then, he was laughing the whole trailer long, all the 2 minutes. Afterwards he said if I hadn't told him that it was mainly a love story, he would have probably gone to see it because he would have thought it is a vampire/mystery movie.

I am still really curious to see it, especially after your reviews : )

message 6: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments Saw the movie this morning. Thought it did a really good job following the book. Though I would've liked to have seen Jacob a little more!

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 23, 2008 01:47PM) (new)

Twilight is already a record-breaking movie.. It already brought in over 70.6 million dollars, that's more than double the Bond movie on its first weekend (27.4 million).
Thought you'd find that as interesting as I did : )

message 8: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Angie: There will be plenty of Jacob in the next movie. And very little of Edward. :( Jacob (the actor) looks so good in photos, but I didn't think he looked good in the movie. I don't know if it was the long hair or what. Maybe he'll get a make-over by Eclipse. :)

Does anyone have the soundtrack?

message 9: by kate (new)

kate (kadence) | 15 comments alison, i agree about the jacob hair. it didn't work out for me at all. it felt weird looking at him, especially since he looks so much better with short hair. i think he gets a haircut in the second book, but i could be wrong.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, he gets a haircut.. It's got something to do with the phasing, if I remember correctly.
Does anyone know when the next movie is going to come out?

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmascout) I still need to read Twilight. And I hope I get to it soon! By the way, if anyone here likes Jon and Kate Plus 8. I have a fan club and would LOVE more members!!

message 12: by Jamie (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:39AM) (new)

Jamie Alison - I have the Twilight soundtrack and I really like it. There are only a couple of songs on it that I don't really listen to. Unfortunately, the songs that Rob sings don't sound very good because his voice isn't very clear. Apparently, he recorded them himself, which is a bit disappointing.

Marion - According to IMDb, the next movies should be out in 2010, 2012, and 2013. They just announced that they will be making New Moon, but more info should be coming out soon.

message 13: by Grace (new)

Grace | 17 comments i loved that movie it was amazing

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashphil) | 10 comments That movie was far from amazing. It was awful. The makeup, the effects, the direction of the actors -- all terrible. I was actually embarrassed for Robert Pattison with all the ridiculous closeups of his eyes.

If they're making New Moon, I can only hope they drop Hardwick, who has to be one of the worst directors ever.

message 15: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments The close ups were kinda funny after a while.

message 16: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

I'm not sure about Hardwick getting dropped--considering it was the highest movie debut for a female director ever. But possibly. I have a feeling the movies will get better as they go--if the writers/director are able to learn from the mistakes of the first one. I was kind of hoping they'd combine books 2 & 3--and just do a trilogy. By 2013, Pattinson's going to be in his late 20's and not looking much like an eternal 17 year old.

message 17: by Arctic (last edited Nov 26, 2008 11:13AM) (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Hardwick is far from one of the worst directors - check out her film Thirteen - you'll be blown away. She didn't have much of a budget to work with here and the story itself doesn't really have much depth to it in all honesty. Fortunately, because this one did so well at the box office, it looks like the sequels will probably be given bigger budgets. that said, I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'll just be quiet now.

Alison, they could do the popular thing these days and shoot the sequels back to back. LOTR did that.

and the reason I came into this thread: you fellow gilmore girls fans might be interested in reading about what might have been if Alexis Bledel had been cast as Bella . There's even a redubbed version of clips from GG with Milo (Jess) cast as Edward...

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, Alexis Beldel as Bella?
That sounds interesting. Although I have to admit that I do consider the current actress a good fit, probably also better than Alexis.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Uhm... the site also says that there might be 5 movies. How should that be?
I mean I know that Twilight is most of all about commerce and merchandise, but I am still disgusted every time I hear something like that.
(Similar to the rumors that Rowling was going to write a Harry Potter 8)

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 9 comments I was prepared to be disappointed, but I actually enjoyed the movie. I do agree with some of the facial expressions criticism, and, like you, Alison, Jasper was the worst. I know they were going for him looking like he was struggling with controlling himself, but he looked more constipated than anything else.

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments Okay, so I haven't read the books yet, but I'm growing increasingly curious. Since I haven't read the books, I'm also not reading the previous posts - so please forgive me if someone already asked this (but, trying to avoid spoilers, etc.). SO, does anyone have an opinion as to if it's better to see the movie first, or read the book first? Thanks for the insight!
(or, if this has already been addressed, just tell me and I'll take a peek at the previous comments ;>)

message 22: by Jamie (last edited Nov 28, 2008 05:58PM) (new)

Jamie I'd definitely read the book first. As in most situations, I think the book is so much better than the movie and it would be nice not to have the book spoiled by the movie. I enjoyed both (I just got back from seeing the movie for the second time, actually), but I think there were some aspects of the movie that really could've been improved.

message 23: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments Okay. Thanks so much Jamie!:D

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura Kealey | 5 comments Definitely read the books first. I know there is a lot of dissension about their literary value and I really understand both sides. However I really enjoyed reading all of the books, its easy to fall into the world Meyer created and be attached to the characters.
The movie butchered the story, the effects were laugh out loud ridiculous, the casting was totally off and the worst part was that they only scratched the surface of the characters. Edward especially is so multi dimensional and that doesn't come across at all in the movie. I would also suggest (if you a huge nerd like me) to read the partial draft of Midnight Sun on Meyer's website which is Twilight from Edward's perspective. I thought it was fascinating!

message 25: by Synova (new)

Synova | 20 comments See I would go the other way from Jamie and Laura Leigh... I adored the books in the way that a 16 year old girl does. being 30 it was like a time warp back to my teens to be obsessive crazy about something.

The movie was fun enough, but I would see it first because the books are so much better. it may be a better movie if you don't know what you're missing. when you've read the books there are certain scenes you expect or you get annoyed with some of the adaptations. (you know, I can't believe they left X scene out...)

then you can read the books and learn the whole story.

actually, if anyone has seen the movie and not read the books I'd love your perspective...

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

So, I've finally seen the movie. I liked it overall, I thought Charlie and Bella were really well casted, they really suited my imagination of them. I didn't like the vampires that much, I though Esme and Carlisle didn't fit at all, Rosalie simple wasn't beautiful enough (she seemed pretty, but so much "done" - I know that Rosalie's supposed to look like she cares about her appearance, but I still thought she also was a natural beauty, so for me, it just was a bit too much makeup and too fancy clothes), Jasper was somehow weird and Emmett was different, but ok. Alice was really cute, though, for me she was the closest book-character match.
It were the little details, though, that made the film not quite right for me. Do you remember the scene at the restaurant, when Edward is supposed to be wearing an ivory turtleneck sweater and a beige leather jacket? In the movie he wears a gray-blue long sleeved t-shirt and the gray coat he wears throughout the movie. I was the only one of my friends to notice, but those are the small details that make things seem real to me - if his clothing is important enough to be described in the book, I expect them to put it in the movie as well.
I also thought that there were too little high school and especially Bella with books scenes, as those are important parts of the book.

Oh, but what I liked: The kids' conversation at school was so very real. I thought Jessica and Angela were great casts, and so was Mike (didn't like the other two guys, though). How they were talking and everything, it seemed as if someone had really filmed a high school schoolyard. In most movies, those conversations simply seem made up, I hope you get what I am trying to say.

message 27: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
So here's some comments from someone who hasn't read the books... I saw the movie yesterday and thought it was OK. Some parts were weird, but overall OK. Edward's facial expression was funny cause one moment he looks like he's going to laugh, and then want to puke, constipated or whatever it is you guys mentioned, LOL. Some of the dialogue also felt weird, especially the part when Bella first confronted Edward about his being a vampire. She said "I'm not afraid of you", but I was thinking honey, the word 'afraid' is written all over your face. The whole scene (and the dialogue in that scene) was weird for me, actually, what with Edward jumping from tree to tree and all.

(Does anybody else here thought of Bram Stoker's Count Dracula when seeing Edward crawling up trees?)

But I do think Edward & Bella had great chemistry; some scenes when they're together were really sweet, although the process of falling of love was too quick IMHO. I also liked Jacob and Bella's other friends. The Cullens were fine, except Rosalie, which seems too old for high school. And I didn't expect to like the baseball scene because I heard that it was like a Quidditch-wannabe, but it looked kinda cool -- maybe it's the song (I never liked Muse's Supermassive Black Hole because the music video was creepy but it was great for the scene). So overall it was OK for a weekend movie. I still want to check out the books just out of curiosity.

message 28: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Dec 08, 2008 04:24AM) (new)

Nice comments, Dini. I also liked the baseball scene. They all looked too cute in their baseball clothes. EW said that when Edward first encounters Bella (in Biology lab), "he acts like he's suffering a seizure (or an attack of bad Mexican food)"...which is just so true.

Saw this morning that due to scheduling conflicts, Hardwicke will not direct New Moon, but it will go to another unnamed-yet-director (as it happened with the Harry Potter movies.)

message 29: by Arctic (last edited Dec 20, 2008 11:38PM) (new)

Arctic | 571 comments ok, so I saw this... and I have to say, I wasn't impressed. Pattinson's acting was laughable. or maybe it wasn't his acting so much as his storyline. And I must disagree, the chemistry between the leads seemed almost nonexistent to me, but maybe it's because it was so rushed.

it did make me want to reread the book though, if only to erase to movie from my memory.

my advice to the uninitiated: read the book and skip the movie entirely.

I should also add that I thought the baseball scene was well done too, perhaps one of the best parts of the film. And in general, all of the suspense aspects of the novel came across well and were better handled in the film than in the book. which I guess comes with the format. In the book, the suspense section almost seemed like an afterthought at the end to add plot and direction, whereas in the movie it was much better integrated throughout the story.

message 30: by Ebony (new)

Ebony (venus_chicc) | 2 comments hi im new to the group...umm twilight was AWFUL! I'm one of the people who has known about twilight for a year or so before the movie came out. I believe some people jumped on the band wagon not knowing anything about the book or even disect it enough to say the movie was good.

The makeup made the Cullens not attractive as Meyer describe them. Edward in particular..

You didnt even GET TO KNOW the Cullens! You never understood Emmett, Rosalie, Ailice and especially Jasper. You didnt see the love instiled in the family

The plot was a DISGRACE!! it didnt even follow the book and left the real faithful readers dissappointed

message 31: by Ebony (new)

Ebony (venus_chicc) | 2 comments but i must admit the baseball part was the best part...it was the only part i liked o and wen alice snapped james' head

message 32: by Amira (last edited Dec 24, 2008 07:20AM) (new)

Amira (liightningbolt) I liked the film. I'm probably in the minority when I say I really liked Jasper and Emmett. But of course, in almost 99.5% of cases, the book was better than the film.