Barbara Delinsky Reading Group and Q&A discussion

Can we talk about Dorothy?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Barbara (barbaradelinsky) | 33 comments Mod
Dorothy surprised me. I created her to be a docile wife who was slightly ditsy. When she ever announced that she had a credit card that her husband didn't know about -- something a woman like her wouldn't automatically do -- I was thrilled.

As the story progressed, Dorothy felt that Eaton was making her choose between her husband and her son. If you were forced into that choice, what would you do?

message 2: by Libby (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Libby Kuntz | 9 comments In some ways I think Dorothy was choosing between loyalty to her husband and doing what she thought was right. She could see that her husband was behaving badly and she chose to not behave badly along with him. I agree with her choice to do the right thing (which in this case was to reach out to Hugh and his family). Standing up for her convictions isn't unloving, nor is saying no to bad behavior. I liked how the book ended with Eaton asking for Dorothy's advice about what to do. His respect showed through. It's been my experience with these types of situation, that growth can happen and deeper respect results.

message 3: by Gretchen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Gretchen | 8 comments I was so glad to see her stand up to her husband, albeit respectfully, and go see her grandbaby! I never saw that she didn't accept Elizabeth for just who she was.

message 4: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Barbara (barbaradelinsky) | 33 comments Mod
I talked with a reading group last week that asked whether Dorothy wouldn't feel something different about her husband, after learning of Lizzie's true heritage. What do you think?