You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > Blindness - what did you think?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Nov 21, 2008 11:12AM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Basically I want to keep a record of what the group thinks about each of the books we read.

So what I want from you guys is:

A star rating out of 5 (exactly the same as Goodreads).

and

A brief description of what you thought about the book. Good story? Interesting? Insightful? Would you read some more of the author's work? Did you learn anything from reading it. etc.

At the end of the month I will post our average rating as a group and try to sum up what we all thought.

Hopefully this will work :)

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I'll go first.

3 stars

Wonderful story, unfortunately had quite a disappointing ending. Interesting writing style from the author which I believe added to the confusion of the blindness epidemic. Saramago dealt with some disturbing topics and was quite graphic with his descriptions, this has made me reluctant to read any of his further work :(

message 3: by Mandy (new)

Mandy 4 stars

Great book. Be prepared for long sentences and try not to have distractions around you when you read this book, there is a lack of punctuation but believe me when I say that this actually adds to the journey of the story being told, I felt like I was with the characters every step of the way. An amazing book about how people overcome or don't overcome a truly devastating event, how people can learn to live in situations they wouldn't think they would be put in and how chaos could happen in the blink of an eye. Of course this book is about many more things as well and you will have to read to understand. Keep your eye out for the dog of tears, my favourite character

message 4: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) 3 Stars

It was an ok book. I got into the narrative and enjoyed reading it but like Jenny I was disappointed by the ending. It was thought provoking and made me think about what my individual actions and the society's, as a whole, actions would be in the event of such a global catastrophic event.

message 5: by Jenny (last edited Nov 28, 2008 10:20AM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Any more for any more?

The book has an average rating of 3.5 stars at the moment. I thought I'd round the star total up to the nearest half.

I know that a few more of you have read it so let us know! 2 more days to do so!

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I would give it 4 stars. I was a bit frustrated that some of the questions I had in my head weren't explored properly, but it was an intriguing, interesting book which kept me reading. Some of the characters were a bit two-dimensional, but maybe thats meant to be the point if one of the senses is missing. The ending....yes, was a little disappointing and wrapped things up too quickly.

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo (Jo_Wales) | 62 comments I would rate Blindness as 4 stars. I found it really thought-provoking and ‘different’ in that no names were mentioned. In fact, I think this added positively to the book – we got to know the characters, but yet we didn’t. I think the ending was simple and effective and one assumes that they went on to start a new beginning – hope the dog did too! I intend to read it again as I’m sure I will get even more out of it next time round. A great read!

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 52 comments I gave it 4 stars. Everyone pretty much already summed up what I thought about the book. It was very different from the books I usually read and it was depressing but things seemd to be looking more hopeful at the end.