The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Gilmore Girls Discussions > Gilmore Girls Convention

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments We can plan our own convention! (Fantasy, but hey, ya never know!)

message 2: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments So, as Megan mentioned on another thread, a great event at a GG convention would be enacting a Living Art display!

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) And a 24 hour dance marathon. And Miss Patty's Founder's Day Punch. And a Firelight Festival. And a movie night with the Gilmore girls and all their junk food. And Hep Alien should play.

message 4: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Meghan Yep. I want a real theater. With Kirk as the ticket taker and concessionier!

message 5: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Meghan I want that festival about the couple who founded stars hollow (or how it got its name). I love all the twinkly lights.

message 6: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Meghan But do we have to do a knitting marathon?

Oh, and is Mrs. Kim tofu-egg salad sandwiches going to be on the menu? heh

And Luke's won't have a Monte Cristo on his menu. It wasn't popular. I wonder if due to arguments from Lorelai, Rory, & Lane, it was returned?

message 7: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Meghan Ooohh...speaking of purses...will the gift shop (do conventions have gift shops? I'm still on the whole amusement park idea. sorry) carry Lorelai's wardrobe. She had the BEST clothes. For a single mom on a budget the lady knew how to put together an outfit!

message 8: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Tiffany I want a Mrs. Kim antiques corner. I always wanted to browse through that shop!

message 9: by Megan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Megan | 118 comments There could be a Yale Daily Newsroom and numerous coffee carts. Life and Death Brigade activities as well as some DAR dinners. And who wouldn't want a party where you are the only single woman in a sea of eligible wealthy men.

message 10: by Megan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Megan | 118 comments oh and we can't forget the Stars Hollow Museum- they had crew t-shirts- the gift shop could carry some of those as well as some of Liz's jewelry.

message 11: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Meghan Ooohhh..and cotillion! A must. And a Miss Patty's...little girls in tutus...it would be too sweet!

message 12: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Oh, the coffee at that convention would be so good... Everyone always said Luke made the best coffee.

Yeah, Meghan, I'm not sure what Lorelai's "single mom budget" was, because most of her clothes were Diane von Furstenberg.

And no Lulu. Because Kirk is mine.

message 13: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Oh, and no Taylor. Because he's annoying and I kind of hate him.

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Ooh! And an arcade with that dancing game that Kirk rocks at. And mock town meetings. (OK, I guess for that, we need Taylor. But only if we can have a Michel to yell at him.) And Westin's cupcakes.

message 15: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments Wow, I am really craving a Luke's Burger right about now! Sorry, didn't have breakfast! I bet we could get Sally Struthers to come! And speaking of Lorelai's single mother budget, I mean with the eating out and all, you would think she could have put Rory through college herself if they ate at home, but then we wouldn't have seen Luke so much. I was amazed when I read that Luke was only supposed to be in a couple episodes at first. Good thing they realized what they had before they lost it!

message 16: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments Ok, I say we have the Red & White theater, but it has to play Pippy Lockingstocking! I love when Rory has that manic moment screaming "PIPPY!PIPPY!". That was hilarious!

message 17: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I love when the Girls are singing the theme song.

message 18: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Meghan I love the ep where Kirk is making out with Lulu at the theater and is neglecting his duties! heh

message 19: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yep, that was the Pippi episode! Because pippi is a great make out movie! LOL.

message 20: by Megan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Megan | 118 comments There should also be a section with Babette's house from when Rory was Donna Reed. That is probably the only full meal that either of the GG's made on that show.

message 21: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Meghan And pop tarts. There should be pop tart stands everywhere!

message 22: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Meghan Right next to the coffee carts

message 23: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments Ah Pop Tarts, I loved when Lorelai did the pop tart hor d'ouvres (sp?) for Rory and the girls from Chilton when they came over to study! With the apple in the center. She is my kinda host!

message 24: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yeah, and Lorelai's post-Palladino obsessing over whether she really likes Pop Tarts or if she just thinks she likes them. (Ooh, reminds me of Clare wondering if she really likes her coffee that way)

message 25: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments Nice parallel!

message 26: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Meghan Okay, I have to butt in with a complaint though. What was up with post-Palladino GG and Rory not knowing who her female hero was? HELLO? Did the writers NOT watch the show? I hate that inconsistency. It would never have happened during the Amy years.

message 27: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Oh, I KNOW!! That line bugged me SO much. And I also can't understand why Alexis didn't say to the director, "Um, really? This line? Not so much. Because Rory's hero has been Christianne Amanpour since the second episode." They could have changed the line to something else, you know?

There were some continuity problems during the Amy years, though, but they were less glaring< like Kirk's backstory. And like Dean and the motorcycle.

Lorelai: She's not going on your motorcycle.
Dean: I don't have a motorcycle.
Lorelai: She's not going on your motorcycle.

Then, in a later episode, when Christopher comes to town, he and Dean are talking about their motorcycles. Now, I suppose that can be explained by saying Dean recently got one, but then why didn't he have a line like "yeah, I just got it."

message 28: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Meghan The thing that always got me was that originally Dean was the bad boyfriend because he was from Chicago and kind of "rough." That always made me laugh. I suppose that's Rory's influence, but I never could quite believe that Dean was a tough guy. Jess I totally got as being a potential bad influence. But Dean? Come on. After Rory kissed him at his truck at Chilton, he became a big ol' softie. What tough guy would stand for two hours and let their girlfriend book browse when they themselves were bored bonkers?

message 29: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Poor Dean! I haven't seen the last season, but did they ever talk of Dean's fate? Did he stay married to Lindsey after she found out he slept with Rory? And how do you get transferred from Chicago to Stars Hollow? What could his dad have possibly done for a living?

message 30: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Who knows... when Jared Padelecki (Paledecki?) got the Supernatural show, Dean just disappeared.

Wow... two margaritas and already I can't type...

Which reminds me (and this is paraphrased because I don't remember the exact lines):

Lorelai: How many margaritas is too many margaritas?

Rory: When you can't find the living room.

message 31: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Meghan GG SPOILERS...

Dean did divorce Lindsey and started dating Rory. Dean later drove off into the distance after catching Rory drunk at her grandparent's house hanging out with about 20 Yale boys. Not that he was upset she was the only girl amongst said boys, but rather that he realized these were the type of boys she was going to end up with (because she was one of them rather than like him).

I never did buy the whole "poor" Dean thing. Rory was poor growing up (hello, she LIVED at the inn most of her childhood). Now if he got mad because she was intellectually his superior, I would have got that. But as Dean had better plans playing Ghost Whisperer or whatever, I suppose it all worked out for everyone in the end.

But I kind of feel bad for Logan. No tv show for him yet. (Dean has Supernaturals and Jess has Heroes...even Christian has One Tree Hill!)

message 32: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Thanks for the update. I guess I did get as far with the show as they carried his character...because I remember that scene.

I just kind of felt sorry for Dean in that he loved Rory so much, but I don't think she always made the best choices in regard to his feelings. But, it's all part of growing up, and that was a great thing about the show...even our beloved heroine was flawed.

message 33: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) Hi,I think it actually worked for the show that Rory and Dean broke up-it would have been to saccarine sweet if they`d got together and that was that.I mean I know it happens like that sometimes but...where would all the fun have been?I thought that Jess was really quite good for her-shook her out of her comfort zone a bit.Don`t we all need at least one bad boy in our past?Ooops am I giving away to much?