Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Reading on the Run

Comments (showing 1-13)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1 comments Audiobooks help everything pass quicker. I love lost an audiobooks.

message 12: by Alan (new)

Alan (AlanMintaka) | 178 comments I'm a daily walker too. I'm also semi-retired, so I can afford to spend enough time to walk 3-4 miles every day. I started to listen to audiobooks during my morning commutes before I retired, so when I switched to walking, the books followed. Now I have the same feeling about listening while walking that others have expressed in this thread: without a book (or music sometimes) to listen to, the walks just aren't the same.

I use non-noise cancelling exercise headphones during the warm seasons (Sennheiser). In Winter I use full headphones to combine earmuffs and audio gear (Skull Candy). These too are not noise-cancelling. I don't like the in-ear noise-cancelling phones because I want to hear both traffic and the other sounds on my walks. Since I go through farm country, that last part is very important.

This habit was extended to household chores when I transitioned to snow shoveling after finishing my Winter walks. Later I added listening to woodworking (between power tool sessions), then yard work. It's a fantastic way to enjoy reading and become exposed to more great books every year than I ever was, even back in school daze.

message 11: by Bee (new)

Bee (Benbarian) | 11 comments Terri wrote: "I am tethered to a computer for my full-time job as a designer and my part-time job as a pro photographer. I would barely get any reading done at all if it were not for audiobooks. But I do believe..."

I completely agree. There's so many subtle nuances that escape you when you read, listening to it brings a completely different experience. All my favorites I will both read and listen.

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 19 comments I usually prefer a paper book to an audio book but if I have trouble with a dialect I will sometimes want the audio book. Some excellent examples are:

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston by Zora Neale HurstonZora Neale Hurston read by Ruby Dee

and

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell by David MitchellDavid Mitchell narrated by Scott Brick, Cassandra Campbell, Kim Mai Guest, Kirby Heyborne, John Lee, Richard Matthews

message 9: by Terri (new)

Terri Light | 3 comments I am tethered to a computer for my full-time job as a designer and my part-time job as a pro photographer. I would barely get any reading done at all if it were not for audiobooks. But I do believe that reading and listening give two different flavors of the same text and often I will go to the other format if I really like a book. I love finding details in audiobooks I have overlooked or interpreted differently when reading!

message 8: by Bee (new)

Bee (Benbarian) | 11 comments Thanks for sharing Marje. I completely agree with everything said above. I do every physical chore with my earphones plugged in on the house's hi-fi blaring a story of some kind. In the last 3 years that my Audible account has been active, I must have listened to a few hundred titles. I drive most days traffic with a story, and fall to sleep to the 15min sleep timer on the Audible App for Android.

Audible for the win!

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 116 comments I'm with you, Becky. All chores in my house are done with Shuffle tuned to an audiobook. Ironing, dishwashing, clothes folding, leaf raking, you name it.

Becky wrote: " I have a hard time doing housework (except vacuuming) without my audiobook. (heh) It makes everything cleaner because I keep going longer and how much thinking do I have to do to swab the deck or floors? Sometimes I cook and listen - chop celery. I usually listen to detective novels but sometimes light history or economics. ..."

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 19 comments I have a hard time doing housework (except vacuuming) without my audiobook. (heh) It makes everything cleaner because I keep going longer and how much thinking do I have to do to swab the deck or floors? Sometimes I cook and listen - chop celery. I usually listen to detective novels but sometimes light history or economics.

message 5: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4075 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Thanks for posting, Marje. I feel the same way about listening and walking. A 2+-mile walk along the urban/suburban streets without a book to listen to is not enjoyable for me."

Frankly, I'd be bored out of my skull without an audiobook.

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 116 comments Thanks for posting, Marje. I feel the same way about listening and walking. A 2+-mile walk along the urban/suburban streets without a book to listen to is not enjoyable for me.

message 3: by Chineka (new)

Chineka Williams | 8 comments I enjoyed this read and listening to audio books while exercising is great.

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 314 comments I really enjoyed that, thanks for posting it!

message 1: by Marje (last edited Jan 16, 2012 06:52AM) (new)

Marje | 13 comments Good article: Reading on the Run
http://nydn.us/xCwfoB

This is my favorite line: "I’ve heard the objection that audiobooks aren’t “really reading,” but I find myself far less distracted while listening on a run than I do while reading on my Kindle or iPhone, both of which provide far too many diversions if they are connected to the Internet..."

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Their Eyes Were Watching God (other topics)
Cloud Atlas (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Mitchell (other topics)
Zora Neale Hurston (other topics)