Banned Books Club discussion

Time to Choose February's Book!

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Satia (new)

Satia Hello everyone!

I hope you're new year has started off as wonderfully as you had hoped.

It's that time of the month again for us to discuss what books we would like to see in the poll which I'll create next month.

We didn't have a poll for January's book because nobody suggested any books so let's not let another month go by without any books/poll at all. We started out the year with a whimper; now let's end the first month with a real bang!

message 2: by Serena (new)

Serena Huang (MarryKateBush) | 259 comments What are the selections? I can't find the poll and I'd like to vote! :)

message 3: by Satia (new)

Satia It's that time of the month again for us to discuss what books we would like to see in the poll which I'll create next month.

I created a poll for everyone in case they preferred to just use a poll instead of discussing the choices. However, nobody has voted in the poll and you're the first to add a comment to this thread so, if there are no suggestions for books to add to the poll, I'll choose a book for February.

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (BarbaraSC) | 168 comments Great!!! I just listed a handful of suggestions for nominations, but I'm using my Smart Phone (which is NOT very smart) and after putting down some interesting suggestions (well, I thought they were interesting!!!), I accidentally touched the screen and my entire note disappeared.

OK, I am going to wait until I'm on my laptop tomorrow (Saturday) to share some books I'd like to nominate.

I do have one question -- was Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose ever banned??? It's a book I would love to read with this group, because we do have interesting discussions here, and I've heard it could be a difficult read, so I'd love to read it with an untelligent group, such as this one.

Actually, this Smart Phone gives me very little access on Goodreads. I can't see polls, bookshelves, or upcoming reads. Basically, I can only read posts and comments.

I'll be back tomorrow (Saturday) once I'm on my laptop, to suggest some nominations.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (BarbaraSC) | 168 comments LOL!!! In my previous post, I referred to this group as "untelligent" !!!!! Another problem with the Smart Phone on Goodreads -- you cannot review what you wrote before you hit "Submit" and you have a tiny window to type in, so you just have to hope there are no typos!!! Obviously, I meant to write INTELLIGENT -- not untelligent (which isn't even a word!!!) So much for technology!!!

message 6: by Satia (new)

Satia Barbara,

On the group's homepage, in the top box is a link to a website. I put the American Library Association's banned books site there. However, bearing in mind that this only lists books banned in the US, a book not listed there may very well have been banned in another country. To save you some time, I can already tell you that it is not listed on the ALA site but if you want to see if The Name of the Rose has been banned in another country, wikipedia has several lists by countries and there are other websites that list these things as well. But as far as I can see, the answer is that it has not been challenged/banned.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (BarbaraSC) | 168 comments Here are some books I'd like to nominate (or suggest for nomination) --

1984 byGeorge Orwell -- I read it a few months ago with a different group, but I think the discussion would be more interesting here. Plus, I never completely finished it, believe it or not. I still have around 40 pages left, but I do think we would have a good discussion here.

Ulysses by James Joyce

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D.
Salinger

Is anyone else interested in any of these books???

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (BarbaraSC) | 168 comments A few more suggestions which I found while researching banned/challenged books on the internet:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was banned in China. They were offended that animals spoke like humans. I would love to reread this book and discuss it here.

The Appointment by Herta Muller is only one of Muller's books that was banned in some eastern European countries. she was exiled from her home country of Romania for some of her literary work, and The Appointment was banned on political grounds. I think The Appointment would be a fantastic book to discuss here.

I found many plays that were banned/challenged/burned. King Lear, Salome, Lysistrata, many others.

But i thought we could read 2 or 3 playes (in one month) by Henrick Isben, which I believe could lead to fascinating discussions. Three plays of his were banned/challenged for being scandalous -- Doll's House, Hedda Gabler, and Ghosts.

I can put all these suggestions into links later (Sunday) or Monday, when I'm back on my laptop.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (BarbaraSC) | 168 comments Sorry about the typos in previous post. (Yes, I'm using Smart Phone again, so can't see what I wrote until after it's posted.

Henrik Ibsen -- NOT Henrick Isben!!!

plays -- NOT playes

Sorry!!!!

message 10: by Satia (last edited Jan 22, 2012 03:27AM) (new)

Satia Barbara, I usually ask anyone who suggests more than one book to narrow it down to one choice to be fair to everyone else who has a suggestion. I'm making the poll today because I usually try to have the poll finished before the end of the month. Albeit nobody else has suggested a book, would you like to pick two or three books you would like to see in the poll? I had pretty much given up on anyone suggesting one book, let alone as many as you have, and already decided that I would announce a book I myself chose. But now we have all of the books you've suggested so if you would choose two or three and then I added my one book that would be a good enough poll for us to have some options.

But I need to make the poll by this evening, when I plan to be back online, so I'm going to cross my fingers that you read and respond to this before tonight. Good thing I won't be doing a lot of typing between then and now. It's very difficult to type with fingers crossed.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Duffy Thomas (Kathy_Duffy_Thomas) | 30 comments I am new, and don't know what you've read recently. I suggest The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, partly because I want to read it before I see the new movie.

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (BarbaraSC) | 168 comments Hi Satia, I'm sorry that I can't put my choices into links. I haven't been feeling well & I don't have internet in my home, so I have to go to a wi-fi spot, & can't get to one right now (and this Smart Phone is limited, so I can't create links with it.)

OK, here are my three choices:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Three Plays by Henrik Ibsen -- A Doll's House, Hedda Gabler, and Ghosts

1984 by George Orwell

If Ibsen's plays are our monthly read, I would suggest setting up four discussions -- one for each play, and a discussion on Ibsen & all three plays and how their themes are similar and/or different. Personally, Ibsen's plays are my first choice. There is SO MUCH to discuss about these plays.

I would like to nominate all three -- 1984, Alice, & Ibsen, but if you would like to narrow it down to one or two of my choices (in case more group members enter nominations), I would like to ask you, Satia, to choose one or two of my nominations (if you want to keep the poll smaller.)

Thanks!!!

message 13: by Satia (new)

Satia Okay. The poll is up. I sent an email to all members but I think that there's a problem with goodreads sending the poll announcements. If you receive an announcement about the poll, please tell me. I'm trying to work with the goodreads team to figure out why we're having this problem. I mean, we have 130 members so it only stands to reason we would have more than a few votes but maybe not if nobody is aware of each new poll.

Barbara, I was unable to find "Three Plays" by Ibsen but I did find four so I picked that volume. (I actually found several "four plays" collections and didn't have time to keep sorting through the lists of Ibsen books to see if there would ever be only three. We can always skip the fourth play or read one a week. We'll figure it out when we get there.)

Okay. I'm off to get some studying done. And take a shower. And all the other fun things someone does on a Sunday evening.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (BarbaraSC) | 168 comments Satia, the volume of four plays by Ibsen that you chose (for the poll) is PERFECT!!! Thank you for finding a volume which includes my three suggestions -- A Doll's House, Hedda Gabler, and Ghosts!!! There are so many different compilations of his plays, but you really picked a great one. The 4th play in this volume, The Master Builder, is another great play of his.

I'm not sure if The Master Builder caused as much controversy when it was first performed, but if Ibsen wins in the poll we can figure all of that out when/if it wins.

Thanks Satia!!!!

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie S. I haven't been on GR in a few days, but when I logged on today, I had a notification of the poll and an inbox message about it. So if there was a problem with sending out poll announcements, I'd assume that it's fixed by now. And, of course, I voted.

message 16: by Larisa (new)

Larisa Roberts (melodicgrace) | 1 comments I am so glad we chose 1984. I was already reading it. =) Haha. Freebie for me this month.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Duffy Thomas (Kathy_Duffy_Thomas) | 30 comments I thought I had it somewhere. As I sort through the boxes of books deciding what to donate to the St Michael and All Angels book sale, I thought I'd run across it. Oh well, I suppose I can get it & read it tomorrow. Hmmm, maybe my sister has a copy...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Catcher in the Rye (other topics)
1984 (other topics)
Ulysses (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Joyce (other topics)
George Orwell (other topics)
J.D. Salinger (other topics)