Runs with scissors discussion

general topic > Banned books and Censorship

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (last edited Nov 25, 2008 08:22AM) (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 629 comments Mod
Do you feel that if a book makes the banned list, you are more apt to read it? I know that if a book is considered "dirty" or contraversial, I am more apt to read it to find out what the big honking deal is. For the most part, I usually don't see what all the flap is or was about. In my high school, the building was connected to the Jr. High, so we shared the cafeteria and library. There were books on a restricted shelf that only the high school kids could check out due to the fact that they had been banned by other schools or that the material was considered too "old" for the under 14 crowd.

I made it my mission to read every single one. Most of them had been banned at one time or another. "Lady Chaterly's Lover" , " The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test",were among the titles I can recall. Maybe these were right to be restricted, some of the others not so much. The irony of it all was and is, the local library branch is right next door, and any one regardless of age, could have checked those books out at any time, so really the school was protecing only thenselves from angry parents.

I guess it is human nature to control what you can and fear the rest. History shows that new ideas have been met with fear. "Farenhieht 451" isn't that hard to belive, especialy with modern soceity's determination to kill the written word. 24 hour news, constant updates, the internet on all the time....information is efemeral. A book is permanent, therefore making it dangerous? Or is it just human nature to force your ideas on others even if you have to use blunt force trauma?

message 2: by A. (new)

A. | 59 comments What I would like to know is who has given authority to ban something to anyone? If it offends you, don't read it. No one is forcing anyone to read anything. Let me make up my mind if I wish to read something. Granted, some material isn't appropriate for every age, but the child's parents should make that decision not a law making body or the government.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I agree with you Kim, if it's a "bad" thing, I am more likely to take notice and read it than if they had just kept their gums still about it. Case in point, "The DaVinci Code"

message 3: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 629 comments Mod
I agree. Who has the right to decide what anyone else may read or not based on what they "feel" is moraly correct or some such. Not everyone's moral compass is as tightly wound as others. If you want to police your own children based on your beliefs then you should, but don't tell me that I can't or shouldn't just because you don't like the book's ideas or one word offends you. In cases of historical works, like "Tom Sawyer" there is a word that in our society is offensive. Read the word in the context it was used and use that as launching point for why we don't use this word now instead of acting like the word does not exist.

Albus Dumbledore put it best when he told Harry that fear of a name gives it power. So does fear of an idea or a word.