The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Young Adult fiction anyone?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Chrystal (new)

Chrystal | 144 comments Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I was just wondering if there were any other adults out there who enjoy reading "young adult" fiction? I have read Twilight and love it. I found myself picking up the Gossip Girl books from the library because I enjoy watching the show. And now I'm reading a book by Sarah Dessen. Is 31 too old to enjoy a little lighter reading on occasion???

message 2: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Chrystal - I'm 29, and I love YA fiction :) I think there's nothing to be ashamed of by reading it...books don't have an age limit in my opinion! I just finished Twilight last night, actually. I really liked it...probably not as much as my friend who begged me to read it hoped I would like it, but I still enjoyed. I also still adore Judy Blume's books, and I loved the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. Are you liking the Sarah Dessen book? I just found out she's from my hometown, so I ordered a couple of hers from PaperbackSwap.

message 3: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (malfoyfangirl) | 22 comments I am in your age range and I very much enjoy young adult books. I love the Twilight saga, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings. Right now I am reading The Princess Diaries series and am on the most current book, Princess Mia.
I like to read the lighter stories in between reading some heavy-duty stories, or taking a break from an intense book to enjoy the younger crowd.

message 4: by Sarenna (new)

Sarenna (djsthree) | 63 comments I love YA as well. I just got Inkdeath from the library and can't wait to finish off the trilogy. About a month back I read some of my old childhood books (Winnie the Pooh, James and the Giant Peach, Alice in Wonderland). It was so comforting to remember some of the books from my childhood and all the memories that went with them.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 5 comments My youngest daughter used to get very annoyed with me for borrowing her required reading books before she had a chance to read them. Well - she usually *didn't* read them. My 2 older kids have inherited my love of immersing myself in book adventures, but my youngest does not enjoy it. In fact, my (now grown) son and I exchange books quite often. I borrowed the Gunslinger series from him, and he got hooked on Neil Gaiman through my loan of American Gods and Neverwhere to him last time he was over.
But as to youth oriented books - loved The Golden Compass series, and there have been many, many through the years.

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber (poetryeclipse) | 19 comments I am 24 and I loved reading the Twilight Series, I am trying to get my hands on some Sarah Dessen and Judy Blume books at my local library but so far I haven't had any luck. I read James and the Giant Peach right before I went to see the movie and I love Winnie the Pooh. I really enjoying reading YA because it makes me remember my youth and how different life was back then.

message 7: by Chrystal (new)

Chrystal | 144 comments Jen - I LOVED the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series.....I still haven't read the fourth one though so I need to get on the list for that one at the library. I am reading "Just Listen" by Sarah Dessen....I'm about 100 pages in and it's good so far. I really enjoyed Judy Blume so I may pick those up as a re-read. Also just finished "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Picoult....I highly recommend it to anyone....it's about a school shooting, and it was just a great read. I actually shed some tears over that one!!!

message 8: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 338 comments I'm 32 and I love quite a bit of YA fiction as well. I am looking forward to reading Inkdeath as well when I can pry it out of the library. I took a tour through the YA section at Borders today and saw quite a few things that I would be interested in (alas, my hands were already full...why can't they make shopping carts for bookstores?).

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments I also love reading YA books...I guess maybe it makes me feel young again...=D

message 10: by Jed (last edited Nov 21, 2008 02:40PM) (new)

Jed (specklebang) I'm Jed and I'm 65 (much to my shock and horror) and I thought The Uglies, Pretties, Specials and Extras series was one of the best things I ever read.

I have The Hunger Game on order from the library and I think that there is a lot more great stuff in YA, now that I discovered it.

Uglies Pretties Specials Extras

message 11: by Chrystal (new)

Chrystal | 144 comments Hi Jed! I haven't read the Uglies series.....who is the author? I will definitely have to see if my library has them.

message 12: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 22 comments Hey Jed--

I'm 63 (shock and horror also) and just discovering YA. Kind of funny, but a lot of it is darn good. Started out with the Harry Potter series, just read "Twilight" and will probably finish the series, and I have "Holes" in my stack to read. I like a lot of variety in my reading and this genre helps me understand what my grandkids are talking about.

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I like YA and I'm 27. For me it provides me with a great escape, since most YA I prefer is fantasy. I think the genre can be deceptive though, meaning that you think it's a light read but it actually has deeper meaning and thoughts. For example, The Golden Compass was so much more than a little girl trying to solve a mystery of disappearing children. The same for Harry Potter. These books are light and engrossing, but they deal with adult issues.

Cheryl if you like Holes then you should check out the movie. It's one of the few movies that does justice to the book.

message 14: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments Cheryl... My Grandmother has read (and enjoyed) the entire Harry Potter Series. She just turned 84 in august. Goes to show you that age doesn't matter when it comes to a good book :)

message 15: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Mcwilliams | 28 comments I'm in my late 40's and I really enjoy YA books. I read Just Listen by Sarah Dessen last month. I really liked it. I plan on reading more by her.

message 16: by Chrystal (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:39AM) (new)

Chrystal | 144 comments Tricia - I am reading Just Listen by Sarah Dessen as we speak. I like it so far, and will definitely read more by her. I hope to finish it tonight so I can start New Moon!

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 510 comments I, too, love YA books. I have so many favorites, but to add to the endorsement of some already mentioned, I thoroughly enjoyed the Twilight series and the Harry Potter series. I belong to a couple of YA reading groups on Goodreads in which I've discussed more about this subject.

message 18: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I also like to read YA, but it is a recent experience for me because I thought it would be strange to read a book intended for a younger audience and I am 30. I am not ashamed anymore! A good book is a good book :)

message 19: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I think Fiona post a threat about this somewhere else, well she did do that....maybe you can find many recommendations also there.

message 20: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Wasn't there one where we talked a lot about YA and children books? I know I asked a lot there about what falls under YA....

message 21: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments h fiona, you know my letters constantly get mixed up! And especialy now on this laptop I never used before!!!! But you see there is one...and you might do that, yes:-)

message 22: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1098 comments LOL Jed, I am 57 today (but still 39 in Jack Benny years). Last time I subbed in a middle school, I looked at "The Uglies" series and it does look very good. A lot of the girls were checking them out so it caught my eye. I will probably get them from the public library soon.

Yesterday when my daughter took me to see "Twilight" there was a line in the movie where Bella asks Edward how old he is. He says 17. She asks how long he's been 17 and I lean over to my daughter and tell her "longer than I've been 39"!! LOL

message 23: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1098 comments I started two recently that I will get from the public library soon.

The Lightning Thief - Riordon
The Seer of Shadows - Avi

Both of these started out good.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 170 comments I have always read YA but I especially love it now that I have teenagers and we can read the same books! The Wednesday Wars is a recent one we all loved.

Paula, my kids love that Lightning Thief series! I haven't read The Seer of Shadows, but I've loved everything I've read by Avi!!

Fiona, Howl's Moving Castle was a fun read aloud for me and my kids too!

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 170 comments You're never too old to be read to!! I have not read any more Howl series, I'll have to!

message 26: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Mcwilliams | 28 comments chrystal- I don't recall how far in the book you are. Has Owen showed up yet? I liked his character.

I have Twilight but probably wait a couple of weeks to read it. I know I'm probably in a minority here but I've never been able to get into the Harry Potter series and I usually like YA books.

message 27: by Robin (last edited Nov 23, 2008 04:44AM) (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments I LOVE reading YA - I find it makes for a much "quicker" and easy read - tends to be more plot driven and not so tied up in making every sentence a work of art - I find I'm carried away more by storeis that are YA.

Oh -- and I'm 47

--
Wife of fantasy author: Michael J. Sullivan
The Crown Conspiracy (Oct 2008)
Avempartha (April 2009)

message 28: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments I did like Twilight - read it voraciously - but can't understand why - the writing really wasn't all that great and the characters not a big deal either - but still there was something that kept me captivated. I just finished New Moon and sorry to say I was disappointed. Trying to decide if I do eclipse.

--
Avempartha (April 2009)

message 29: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 510 comments Michelle, it is so great that you are enjoying books with your teens. It was a wonderful time in my life, too. Don't worry, with the groundwork you've established, you will continue to share books as they become adults, too. You might not read the same ones at the same time, but sharing titles and books continues with my daughter, who is soon to be 25, and my son, who is 21.

I have seen The Wednesday Wars, and with your hearty endorsement, I will put it on my to-read list.

message 30: by Chrystal (new)

Chrystal | 144 comments Tricia-I finished Just Listen last night. I thought it was great. I will definitely read more of her's in the future. I loved Owen's character.

message 31: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 253 comments Happy Birthday Paula!! Happy Birthday to you....Happy Birthday to you....cha cha cha!!

I also love YA books; one of my favorites is Because of Winn Dixie which I believe is classified YA.

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 170 comments Kathy, that's nice to hear, thanks. I'm glad you have a family of readers too!

message 33: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Robin, I totally agree with your assessment of Twilight. I did feel Eclipse was much better than New Moon. I liked Twilight and Eclipse the best.

message 34: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Mcwilliams | 28 comments chrystal-my daughter read Just Listen after I finished it. She loved it also. I think what I like about Owen the most was his honesty and that he had learned to control his emotions and reactions to others behavior. Well at least most of the time. And that he loved music not sure about his taste there tho lol

At the moment I'm reading Guilty as Sin by Tami Hoag. This is one of those hard to put down books. If you like mystery, mixed with suspense and a liitle romance that is.

message 35: by Robin (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:18AM) (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Hey Vicki,
I just got home from the Movie Twilight earlier today - with a face2face book club. I'm really on the fence about going to Eclipse - One woman who read the books due to proding from her students (she teaches 8th grade) ... who said.... "Ms. xyz you just have to "solider thorugh it". That made me laugh but was also a bit sad since these seem to be books that instead of being "love to hate" are "hate to love". Did you read Breaking Dawn? Maybe if that is good I can go through Eclipse to get to it. I'm so very much on the fence on this.

--
Avempartha (April 2009)

message 36: by Vicki (last edited Nov 24, 2008 01:17PM) (new)

Vicki Robin, I read them all, and actually because of my students too! I felt I needed to keep going, but I really lost speed by Breaking Dawn. It sat for a month and I only finished it right before school because I didn't want to hear my students talk about it and not have read it.

Honestly, I personally did not love Breaking Dawn. I thought it was drawn out and a bit typical of the patterns the book was falling into. A lot of my friends felt the same way. (But I am sure many would disagree) Though the additional vampires were interesting characters.

PS. Just saw the movie too. What did you think?

message 37: by Corrie (new)

Corrie (corrieleigh) I love reading young adult fiction! I am trying to stock my library with books that I loved as a child and young adult, so that I can have them there for my kids (when I have them, if I have them).

I nanny for a girl who is 13 years old, so usually during the summer when we go to the pool and I forgot my book I would borrow hers! That is actually how I started reading Twilight! Claire and I also tried to stay together during the last Harry Potter book. She loves the 'gossip girl' book, but she is a bit mature for her age so I am guessing she will grow out of them anyday now.

I read Sarah Dresson's The Truth About Forever, and I really really enjoyed this one! Does anyone have any reccomendations for a very mature 13 year old? (I got her to read "The Glass Castle" and she loved it!) Maybe even something her and I could read together? I would love some ideas! :)

(p.s. this is the best group ever)

message 38: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) If it helps hun, I am 33 yrs old and I actually go to my local library and read YA books (which makes up most of my readin lists for the year lol) incase I get headaches from readin too much of my own books here lol.

message 39: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Well Vicki,
About the movie - I can't say that I'm too complimentary. I went to go see the movie on Sunday and wow! - I thought it had the worse production values of any movie I've seen. Strange for a "big event" movie like this. The biggest problem was no background music for most of the movie and then when there was music it seemed "amatur" which is strange since I heard the sound track is like #1. The lighting made it look like an "afterschool special" of the 70's. Oh - and the "running" up the tree and mountain - it reminded me of the claymation "Santa Claus is coming to town". Am I the only one that felt this way?

The good thing was it was not packed - which really surprised me.
--
Avempartha (April 2009)

message 40: by Jamie (last edited Nov 25, 2008 08:40AM) (new)

Jamie Robin - I also thought the effects in Twilight were laughable. Additionally, it was uncomfortable to watch some of Edward and Jasper's facial expressions in a few scenes.

I disagree with you about the soundtrack, though. I really like it. Well...except for the fact that the lyrics of Rob's 2 songs are nearly unintelligible. I didn't mind the fact that there wasn't more music. In fact, I thought it enhanced parts of the movie. During Edward and Bella's first kiss, for example, you could've heard a pin drop in the theater - it was pretty intense!

message 41: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1098 comments Thank you Cindy!! I liked the cha cha cha part!!! LOL

I liked Winn Dixie also. Very heartwarming story.

message 42: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1098 comments Robin, I loved "Eclipse" but "Breaking Dawn" was a let down. I found it bizarre in some places and anti climatic in others. I'm glad I finished the series so there was at least closure on the story.

message 43: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Corrie, I enjoyed Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle Trilogy if she liked some of the other books you mentioned.

Robin, sorry you didn't like the movie. I agree about some of the effects, especially the up the tree part. I thought Jasper was a bit weird, but Rosalie was exactly as I pictured her. Have you decided to venture into Eclipse. I am glad I finished the series and I did enjoy Eclipse, unfortunately as I said before Breaking Dawn was not my favorite.

message 44: by Jane (new)

Jane (jane_jones) | 51 comments I like YA -- Harry Potter series was very good. I'm reading Twilight now - not sure what all the hype is about. Oh and CS Lewis is good and the Hobbit

message 45: by Anna (new)

Anna (wife228) I"ve read some YA fiction and likes it. Harry Potters books and some stuff by Cathy Hopkins and Meg Cabot.

message 46: by Anna (new)

Anna (wife228) I"ve read some YA fiction and likes it. Harry Potters books and some stuff by Cathy Hopkins and Meg Cabot.

message 47: by Jen (new)

Jen (nekokitty) | 110 comments I just turned 30 in November, and I still have to satisfy my inner 15 year old self. I am currently reading Twilight. It's relaxing and nice to read YA fiction sometimes! My current problem is that I am obsessed with trying to read the Twilight series, but I have so many others that I want to read. Why can't there be 26 hours in a day?

message 48: by Corrie (new)

Corrie (corrieleigh) Vicki- thank you for the suggestion! I think I might see if she wants to venture out in search of those books today!

message 49: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Hey everyone! I also love to read YA fiction. I read alot of books that my boys recommend or have to read for school (I always read whatever they have to read for school with them), and I admit theres alot of books that I pick up on my own. I work at a local independent bookstore and I'm always seeing books that look good. Who cares that it's not for my "age group". I've recently read and loved:

The Percy Jackson and the Olympian Series by Rick Riordan
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Richard C. O'Brien
Gentlehands by M.E. Kerr
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Misfits by James Howe

We would miss out on too many books if we worried about what was too young for us!

message 50: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments OMG!! I totally forgot about Mrs. Frisby - What a great book !! -- And there was a very cool catoon of it many years back - Very well done.

The Crown Conspiracy (Oct 2008) - Fantasy Book Critic Review | Avempartha (April 2009)

« previous 1