THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

James Mason Fun Stuff! > Books choice

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manugw (new)

Manugw Choosing a future book, you follow editorial reviews or people reviews and ratings ?

message 2: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 101 comments I'll have a look at reviews and ratings etc but in the end make up my own mind!

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 77 comments When a woman asked what the New York Times Book Review had to say about "The Widow's Walk League," I explained I flew under their radar. I suggested she read the book which had been receiving good reviews and see what she thought. Her response was, "Oh, I can't tell if I like a book by reading it. I rely on NYT book reviews to know if I like a book."

message 4: by Boyd (new)

Boyd Lemon (Goodreadscomboydlemon) | 142 comments OMG. Unbelievable!

message 5: by Boyd (new)

Boyd Lemon (Goodreadscomboydlemon) | 142 comments I look at reviews only to find out more about the book, not to go with somebody else's opinion.

By the way, 2 of my books are FREE as a part of the Kindle Free Book Promotion until midnight Tuesday. Download on your Kindle or Kindle app (which you can download for free on your computer, tablet or smartphone) "Digging Deep: A Writer Uncovers His Marriages," and Unexpected Love and Other Stories." Digging Deep has been holding steady as # 3 or 4 in the memoir category. Help me make it # 1 Here are direct links: http://amzn.to/yl6osf and http://amzn.to/zEoplj.

message 6: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Ricord (glenda-r) Nancy wrote: "When a woman asked what the New York Times Book Review had to say about "The Widow's Walk League," I explained I flew under their radar. I suggested she read the book which had been receiving good ..."

Oh my goodness. What an answer. I actually don't pay attention to the NYT reviews. I do read several ratings, both good and bad, to give me an idea of what fellow readers think about the book.

In the end, I decide for myself.

message 7: by Manugw (new)

Manugw In order to be a choice, should a given book be qualified with at least fours stars of more by readers ? And if that book is four stars worth or more, the quantity of readers behind those stars is important ? What do you think ?

message 8: by Jane (new)

Jane | 264 comments I read reviews to check out what's new and then check Amazon for a more in depth synopsis. After that I read the Goodreads reviews then make up my mind if I'm interested. The fewer the stars the more reviews I read to find out what people didn't like about the book.

The quote from the lady that doesn't read the book only the NYT reviews to find out whether she likes the book is - well, I'm speechless!!!

message 9: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Conyngham | 50 comments Nancy wrote: "When a woman asked what the New York Times Book Review had to say about "The Widow's Walk League," I explained I flew under their radar. I suggested she read the book which had been receiving good ..."

Extraordinary - admitting she didn't have a mind of her own!

unread topics | mark unread