The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Girls Gutter Thread!!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 170 comments Seems a lot of you love Alan Rickman! Fave Alan Rickman movies:

Sense and Sensibility - his Colonel Brandon is hot!

HP - No one else could have done justice to Snape.

Truly, Madly, Deeply - Sexy

Galaxy Quest - Funny

Die Hard - Great villain

Who out there loves Alan Rickman?

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) Mmmmmm Snape!

I love Alan Rickman. I think it's his voice! Especially as Snape!

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Nov 20, 2008 12:56PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10109 comments Mod
Oh dear. is this a pine-over-alan thread?????

I liked him in HP - I feel Snape is a role he was born to play. He does the goth, dark and mysterious very well. And is uber handsome with long black hair.

also loved him in Dogma. Another more gothy part for him.

message 4: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I definitely loved him as Snape (I've only seen 2 of those movies, though - but he's fantastic). I also love him in "Love Actually" which is one of my favorite movies ever. Of course, he's a little villainous in that one, too. :)

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments FREE ALAN RICKMAN!

Whahha.

message 6: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) Oh a group movie marathon sounds like so much fun!! What a laugh!

message 7: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) I haven't seen any of his films!! I refuse, but refuse, to see anything (unless it's indiana jones or something like that, but even that is a trial) dubbed into italian... I have to wait til they come to satellite, and they mostly don't...

okay, next trip to the US I'll lock myself in a dark room with 25 DVDs...

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) SQUEE

OMG, I saw the name in the thread and I had to do a double take!!

GAH! I've seen 90% of his movies. There are a few I haven't yet. My favs:

Harry Potter
S&S
Something the Lord Made
Galaxy Quest
The Barchester Chronicles (those of you who haven't seen this, try to find it. Alan is young and so hot. Love it)

I've seen really most of his stuff. The last new movie I saw with him was "Perfume". And he had a small part in Terese Raquin (a BBC Mini).

He's a great actor.

message 9: by Sarenna (new)

Sarenna (djsthree) | 63 comments Add me to the list. Like everyone else I loved him as Snape and thought he was hilarious in Galaxy Quest.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments You can watch Dark Harbor on youtube...That movie was odd. But I liked it.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 170 comments Where is Alan? He needs to see this!

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I thin he does for a minute. There is a shower scene...

message 13: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments love him. He's one of those that I can't put my finger on any one particular thing, and he's not 'traditionally' good-looking, but holy cow, smokin' hot.

message 14: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Here's one I should put in "would you rather..." but seeing as we're almost on the subject. A dear friend of mine and I both have a thing about one of these two actors, and a third friend prefers the other and makes fun of us. I just can't explain... one's got charisma and the other is like a plate of overcooked pasta.

Tom Cruise or Gerard Depardieu?

message 15: by Marsha (new)

Marsha I've got to see Truly, Madly, Deeply. I've heard it's great.

I never noticed him before his role as Snape. Then I saw S & S and fell hard.

message 16: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Green Card, Depardieu and Andie McDowell, very sexy.

Okay T M D goes on the to watch list too.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments Lol, got to agree with Fiona. That was apt...

message 18: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments I don't like Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt. I've never really understood what the big deal was all about. Brad Pitt looks like a monkey.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments Mostly the mouse bit, but without the contrast it isn't as funny. So both ;)

message 20: by Darla (last edited Nov 20, 2008 09:04PM) (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments I second that, Fiona. Johnny Depp is off the charts in the hotness category. He was still hot as Edward Scissorhands, Captain Jack Sparrow, and Sweeney Todd.... What other actor could pull that off? :)

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 170 comments I'll second the Johnny Depp nod as well.

message 22: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments I've only seen Alan Rickman's Love Actually, a nice and sweet romantic comedy.

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Why in the world don't I own Love, Actually? It's a great movie and perfect for this time of year.

As my fiance read this thread over my shoulder last night (and proceeded to make fun of all of us) he wanted to know why no one mentioned Alan as Judge Turpin in Sweeney Todd? Just to hear him sing...I cracked up the first time I heard it but now I confess, when the song comes on my iPod I can't help but sing along!

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments My fiance is big into musicals/plays so of course we had to see the film adaptation of Sweeney Todd. You should see him cringe at some of the notes Johnny Depp hits when he sings!

And OMG, I'm practically rolling on the floor thinking of Snape's Ode to Lily Evans!

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments I'm tone-deaf, my singing is more like screeching/yelling/regular talking, so I saw nothing wrong with it either. Guess I just have to take his word for it.

message 26: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Fiona said: I'm still looking forward to Alice in Wonderland...

Noooo... who's he going to play?

message 27: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Why did I know that already... it's perfect for him.

message 28: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments Haha! Nice posts! Great to see that nost of you liked Love Actually. It's made by the same director who made Notting Hill, again an awesome movie.
Any Hugh Grant fans here by the way?

message 29: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I, too, am glad to see the love for Love Actually. That's one of my all-time favorites. Although admittedly I find Colin Firth yummier than Alan Rickman or Hugh Grant. :)

message 30: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Haha Fiona...I've noticed that too. Actually it's kinda funny - my son's name is Colin, and he, too, is always doing something to get himself soaking wet (like jumping in a fountain fully-clothed...)

message 31: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) It's the passion again... (sorry to harp on that!) All of these actors have passion oozing from every part of them. Brad Pitt was mentioned earlier, but I don't get a sense of passion from him (I wouldn't throw him out of bed for eating crackers, as we used to say at univ.); I much prefer Matt Damon, who I saw on a talk show talking, very passionately, about the Boston Red Sox after they won the World Series. Sounds really trivial, I know, but he was so unselfconsciously "into" his own passion for a baseball team that it swept me away too.

That's really the essence of sexy, isn't it, being unselfconscious about sensual pleasure.

message 32: by Darla (last edited Nov 21, 2008 07:50AM) (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments I like Hugh Grant... but again, he's one of those that I can't tell you why. Just something about him. Same thing with Nicolas Cage. None of these people would probably turn your head if you walked past them on a street. But they open their mouths or make a small gesture and suddenly I swoon... lol

message 33: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments oh yeah. Colin Firth is hot too, but I prefer him in P&P and Love Actually to any others he has made (by a long shot)

message 34: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments lol...can't help it... one gets you thinkin' about others :)

message 35: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) My this thread has grown! lol!

I also don't 'get' Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt or George Clooney ... boring!! I am a little partial to a bit of Johnny Depp though (yum). I haven't seen Sweeney Todd yet though - need to add that to my list!

Oh, and Colin Firth gets my vote too! Especially in P&P and Love Actually, but also in Bridjet Jones' Diary.

message 36: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1098 comments I also love Alan Rickman! I think I first loved him in the spoof Robin Hood with Kevin Costner (who I also love).

message 37: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 170 comments Long live Colin Firth! No one else can touch Mr. Darcy!

It's interesting that these "classically handsome" (Brad, George, etc) men don't seem to do it for any of us. Men like AR are just so much more interesting.

I like Hugh Grant, but have never thought of him as handsome or sexy. I just like the ease of his character, and the way he can totally make fun of himself. I've liked his films. Sense and Sensibility most notably, because of course, Alan Rickman! I also thought he was hilarious in Music and Lyrics.

message 38: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) Oh yes, Music and Lyrics was a great film! I love Drew Barrymore. Again, HG doesn't really do it for me. Nor does Kevin Costner - Dances With Wolves is one of the most boring films I've ever seen, and totally put me off him!

message 39: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) really? I kinda liked the book. Haven't seen the flick, however. Not often that the film is better, is it?

message 40: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) OMG James McAvoy! *swoon*

message 42: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) don't know, found it on the net... I've never heard of him before today.

message 43: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 170 comments Okay, James McAvoy, he's another "not classically handsome" guy that just has some kind of charisma that is very attractive! He's got great eyes! I thought Penelope was a very cute movie and I liked him in it.

message 44: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) Fiona - I'm with you! Much prefer my men lean and toned, not muscley! Have you been watching Last Man Standing on BBC3? I'm in love with Ed!!

I hated Atonement! It was only because of JM that I sat through it!

message 45: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) From BBC website:

"Last Man Standing dares a unique group of western adventurers to accept the challenge of a life-time. To travel the world, and compete against some of the most remote tribes on earth ... on their own turf.
The athletes will encounter wrestling, endurance running, archery, water-buffalo racing and more in the ultimate test of strength, skill and stamina"

Tuesdays at 9! It's fab (and I'm really not into sport or anything like that). I think it's showing in the USA as well. The athletes are 3 from UK and 3 from USA.

Sorry, bit off topic there! But it does involve fit men (though no Alan!)

message 46: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) lol Fair enough!

message 47: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

ooohhh. so the swooning is growing...

I must say,
Johnny Depp is an uber hottie. I would take Jack Sparrow in a heart beat. The hottest, sexiest, dirty pirate I have ever seen.. YUMMY

David Duchoveny as Fox Mulder was DEEEE-Vine... I lived for Sunday nites just to drool over him.

John Cusak... c'mon. total fucked up, wanna date him so i can fix him hottie. Soooo much hotter as he got older. Not talking the 'say anything' days, he was still funny looking back then... but his hottness hit broke the glass top in High Fidelty, Serendipity, Ice Harvest, Identity, Must Love Dogs.... ahhh man...

message 48: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

uhm.
i think i need a cold shower. pronto.

message 49: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments Lori... I so agree on the John Cusak thing. The older he gets the more he does it for me. I also second Fiona's Gary Sinise nod :)

I also like Liam Neeson... but I don't know how much of it has to do with him, or just the sound of his voice...

message 50: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments Love Alan Rickman. I've been a fan since I saw Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves when I was a kid. I mean, let's face it: he stole every scene he was in.

He really is perfect to play Snape. And I think he'd be perfect to play Lord Vetinari if they ever adapted one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels to the big screen. They've done small screen adaptations, and Jeremy Irons was picked to play Vetinari in one of 'em, but Rickman just seems too perfect for the role.

« previous 1