75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2009 Completed) > Margaret's 2009 List

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments I haven't a clue off the top of my head how many books I have read during 2008, but let go count (this is why my blog and goodreads are valuable to me).

http://cherryblossommj.blogspot.com/ is Creative Madness my blog, btw...

wow. Unless I missed something, I read 109 books in 2008 (so far!) I know I can fit some more in Nov and December as well. Neat! I've never kept count before, an I'm impressed!

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Okay, going backward from now. I am going to try to catch up what I have read in February and January.

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments January = 10
February = 8

message 5: by Karol (new)

Karol Margaret, you're off to a great start. Thanks for all the links, too - makes it easy for us to look at some of the titles we might be interested in.

By the way, I read "Prints Charming" by Rebecca Seitz last year and loved it. I'm glad to see you enjoy her, too.

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Oh yes. Rebeca's Sister's Ink Series is fabulous and she's a great person! I love her dearly.

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Oh, and I agree about the links. Any little effort that I can do to make it easier on other readers I try, because I love it when they make things easier on me. :)

message 9: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments A Lady of Hidden Intent 5/5 and A Lady of Secret Devotion 4/5 both by Tracie Peterson

Bringing March to 3

message 11: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Bittersweet by Cathy Marie Hake 4/5

March 9
2009 27

message 14: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments 8,890 pages for 2009 not including the Audio Bible or parts of the Sanctuary Bible that I finished in early 2009.

30 Books total read so far in 2009, including three in April.

message 15: by Margaret (last edited May 03, 2009 05:30PM) (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Blaggard's Moon by George Bryan Polivka
(Prequel to the Trophy Chase Trilogy)

“This is the story of the great battle between the pirates of the world and the band of merciless men who would purge us from the seas, and make the name Hell’s Gatemen a source of terror to us all.”

Thus begins the tale of love and war told by Ham Drumbone, a pirate storyteller with a gift for dramatic detail. It is recalled by Smith Delaney as he awaits a gruesome death at the hands of ancient beasts called mermonkeys, eager to devour his bones. In the process of remembering, this simple pirate ponders in his always-earnest and often-whimsical way the mysteries of true hearts wronged, noble love gone awry, dark deeds done for the sake of gold, and the sacrifices made for love. For Ham's story is about Damrick Fellows, the great pirate hunter, who works his way ever closer to the great pirate king Conch Imbry, only to find his focus blurred by his love for the pirate's woman, Jenta Stillmithers. By the time the tale ends, Delaney must come face-to-face with himself, with his choices, with the power of love, and with a God who promises him both a hell richly earned and a grace given where none is deserved.

My review

rating: 5 of 5 stars
Smith Delaney is a man who is awaiting his demise. This is a novel, of Delaney remembering a story in vivid detail of how things went from one place to another in the world of vast pirating and pillaging where the townsfolk saw no end of terror. Polivka weaves an intriguing tale as a master storyteller that brings images easily to the mind's eye of a reader and keeps one ceaselessly thirsting for more.

Many a book can grab me and pull with the never-ending page turning drama to a finish. This book is different. I was drawn and curious and could not unravel the tale fast enough, but the way the story was told in vivid detail and description causes one to take the tale at a leisurely pace. As a scene unfolds, it is almost necessary to full let it soak in from the words on the page to the reader's eye and then the synapses of the brain. Each section brings a mini story and intrigues a bit further.

An adventure of pirates, murder, fights, romance, true love, revenge, and justice prevail. All through out, the story is enticing and pulls a reader to one way of thinking and then changes your mind to another. Mixed in the story in a very non-nagging manner is a fabulous undertone of what is coming... Where are your actions taking you and how will they affect the outcome of your life?

It is a thrilling ride filled with the sounds of splashing waves and crying gulls with the scent of salt water to one's nose and I recommend it to many for a leisurely yet full of adventure ride. I am grateful that I was able to start my reading adventures of the Nearing Vast world through this prequel to the Trophy Chase trilogy. Now I am even more grateful that I have the first and third of the trilogy on my shelves waiting for me, and now must find a way to acquire the second novel. Then my adventure will be complete!

Blaggard's Moon (Prequel to the Trophy Chase Trilogy) by George Bryan Polivka

9,263 pages for 2009
31 Books for 2009
May count - 1

message 16: by Karol (new)

Karol Margaret wrote: "8,890 pages for 2009 not including the Audio Bible or parts of the Sanctuary Bible that I finished in early 2009.

30 Books total read so far in 2009, including three in April. "

WOW! You go, Margaret!

Hmmm, maybe there should be a "Number of pages read" challenge for next year. I've read quite a few titles, but many have been books you could read in 4 hours or less. Now, I'm reading an epic (643 pages of smaller type) so my count has slowed to a crawl.

message 17: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Thanks Kay, I needed to hear that enthusiasm. I was feeling down, because I usually read so much more. *sigh* Another side effect of pregnancy, but I know this little girl will be worth it all, even the heart burn!

message 18: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Nightmare's Edge (Echoes from the Edge, #3) by Bryan Davis 3/5

Nathan Shepherd, in the company of his restored mother and two mysterious beings called supplicants, searches for his father in the land of dreams. With the collapse of the entire cosmos at hand, only his father holds the answers to what Nathan must do to save billions of lives and only God can help him..

MY REVIEW:
In complete honesty, I liked the other books in this trilogy better, but I still enjoyed this one overall. On the low points, I felt this one dragged a bit, until the last one hundred pages or so, which seemed to absolute fly by. the other point was that I felt confused through parts of the book trying to remember features and events that had happened to the characters previously in the other two books.

Overall, the series is an incredible use of imagination and imagery. It takes you into a realm of reality that is different from anything a reader has experienced before, and then through out in bits and pieces, the reader is offered a deeper meaning to the entire story. It is creative and leaves one open to ask the right kinds of questions to learn about the ultimate adventure.

I definitely suggest reading the series in order. If you attempt to just read this book, you will be quite lost.

[image error]

9,615 page for 2009
32 books for 2009
May count 2

message 19: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments A Passion Denied by Julie Lessman 5/5

Young Elizabeth O'Connor is the little sister John Brady always longed for. But she wants much more than that from her spiritual mentor. As she blossoms into a beautiful young woman intent on loving John, he must push back the very real attraction he feels for her. His past just won't let him go there. Unfortunately, Lizzie won't let him go anywhere else--until she discovers he is not all that he seems. Can true love survive such revelations? Full of the romance and relationships Lessman readers have come to love, A Passion Denied is the final book in the popular Daughters of Boston series.

My Review:

I cannot tell you how much I love Julie as a friend and an author. Her writing is incredible and touching and it gets under your skin and into your heart. I cannot highly recommend her books strongly enough

When I first had the opportunity to read the first book in this series "A Passion Most Pure", I was in love with the writing and the story life of the characters that became quickly so dear to me. Upon reading the second book, "A Passion Redeemed", I was enamored. It was shocking how characters that were so real, so flawed, and so human, were capable of getting so deep into my heart and emotions. Now, after having finished reading the third book in this series, "A Passion Denied", it is unrealistic for me to tell you that I am excited about the next series that will have three more books continuing the lives of these fictional characters that are as real to me as if I were a neighbor or friend down the street.

Overall, this book could, I say lightly, could be read alone, but I strongly suggest reading the prequels in order to really understand the personalities and intimacy of the characters. "A Passion Denied" appears to be a title that is understood right off the bat if you have read the back cover or know the characters. It is not until you actually read the story that you can comprehend just what that title means and so much more than you would have assumed.

Previously, Beth was just a young teen with her nose stuck in romance novels, as she becomes a young woman in the 1920's you realize there is so much more to her and heart than that. This is a journey to follow along with her to see where it is her heart really should belong. Full of romance, and of course passion, a thirst for understanding, and a hunger for the will of God to be fulfilled. This book is completely packed with page turn after turn of heart wrenching, palpitation forming emotion and action.

As for recommendations of reading, I would definitely state this book and series for the young woman and older, not a teen really, but the young woman who is learning in her faith daily and not afraid to see what God will show her in the power of words. If you have heard anything about these books, you know that they are not your typical inspirational romance, but they contain some heated moments. Passion is a powerful thing and even more so when put in the right place with the right center.

[image error]

10,079 pages for 2009
33 books for 2009
May count 3

message 20: by Margaret (last edited May 17, 2009 01:17PM) (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Beloved Counterfeit by Kathleen Y'Barbo 4/5

When the less-than-reputable Ruby O'Shea washes up on the shores of Fairweather Key, she's determined to bury her past and make a new life for herself and her three nieces. But doing so will entail secrecy and deception. Is that any way to start anew? When Micah Take, a wrecker, widoer and soon-to-be preacher, falls for Ruby, it seems a wedding is certain and her past uninportant. But as Ruby's secrets are uncovered, Micah finds himself falling short of the grace of forgiveness. Will Micah abandon the heart that God has won? Or will he stand by his woman against all odds?

My review

When I was in college, I had a conversation with a friend about how I knew God had forgiven me for my sins, but for some things it would take me longer to forgive myself. He responded that by refusing to forgive myself once God had forgiven me was as if I were saying that God's forgiveness was not enough. That is something that has stuck with me for many years, and probably will for years to come. The point in that message of forgiveness and moving forward with a clean slate is what "Beloved Counterfeit" is all about using the key scripture of Isaiah 1:18

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be of scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

This book is the third in the Fairweather Key series. It can be read alone, or as I did out of order, and when you go back to read the others it will be like learning deeper into a character's heart and past. Having read one, as a reader one will definitely want to experience the others. The main characters have a lot to learn about each other as well as themselves. This is a story about forgiveness, real forgive and forget forgiveness and going forward in life. It may be a message easily taught, but an even more difficult one to live.

I highly recommend this series and cannot wait to read more from Barbour and especially Kathleen Y'Barbo in the future.

Beloved Counterfeit (Fairweather Keys, Book 3) by Kathleen Y'Barbo

10,398 pages for 2009
34 books for 2009
May count 4

message 21: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Reading Update:

Read Gold of Kings A Novel [image error] by Davis Bunn 4/5

- Have not yet reviewed.

Read also [image error] Jillian Dare A Novel by Melanie M. Jeschke 4/5

My review:
Jillian Dare is a fabulous contemporary adaptation of the classic story of Jane Eyre and I enjoyed it thoroughly. In the authors letter at the end of the book, Melanie tells us that she wrote this book not for the Bronte purists, but for three different types of people: those that love romantic suspense, those that have yet to read Jane Eyre and now will want to, and the category I fit in - those that have read the story and love to find the comparisons between the two stores and make conjectures as to how the contemporary twist plot will unfold. I have to admit, with each turn of the page I was fascinated by how in the world could the next main scene unfold.

Other things that I really enjoyed in this book were the bits and pieces that alluded to the personal life of the author as well as to her previous book "Evasions". It made me smile quite often. Also, the brought in pieces of Dickens literature as well as references to Broadway plays that I am familiar with such as "The Woman in White". As a reader, I am not one that usually leans toward reading and enjoying a story of contemporary fiction. But Melanie does more than that, she ties the bits and bobs of history in that make it worthwhile, page-turning, and fun.

In the last quarter of the book, there was a topic brought up that has been in theological debate as long as their has been theology and although at first it was a good point, after a few chapters I tired of it. But other than that slight imperfection, I heartily the entire book and could hardly bare to put it down until completion. I had to wait too many years before this for more fabulous fiction from Melanie Jeschke, and I do hope to read more from her in the future sooner rather than later. Although, I will wait quite impatiently for later if need be. *wink*

11,022 pages for 2009
36 books for 2009
May count 6

message 22: by Margaret (last edited Jun 03, 2009 10:29AM) (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Gold of Kings: A Novel Gold of Kings: A Novel by Davis Bunn

Will she decipher the mysteries leading to the sacred relic, or be defeated by the foes racing to claim it and destroy her?

A dealer in art and antiquities, Storm Syrrell arranges her life as she does her work -- into neat, orderly categories. But when her grandfather is murdered, all certainties are crushingly replaced by suspicions. She struggles to understand his death -- and decipher the frayed leather journal she finds hidden in his vault. Storm soon realizes that, far from being simply a discreet art broker, Sean Syrrell was a trusted go-between in the highest ranks of business and government in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East.

But not all of Sean's associates were quite so lofty. Enter Harry Bennett, a scruffy professional treasure hunter just released from a Caribbean jail, followed by Emma Webb, a US government lawyer with links to Interpol. Storm pushes her doubts aside, locks the door to her Palm Beach art gallery, and opens herself to the quest begun by her grandfather.

Their trail leads them ever farther afield -- London, France, Istanbul, Cyprus -- and ever deeper into danger. The thrill of the search is haunted by Storm's determination to bring Sean's murderers to justice. Storm and Harry in turn are targeted by an unknown assassin and saved from death only by Harry's split-second reactions.

Their quest hones in on the Copper Scroll of Qumran and controversial claims made by the Jewish historian Josephus. Hidden beneath the dust and mysteries of two thousand years lies the reason behind Sean Syrrell's murder and the find of a lifetime: a fortune in gold of great historical significance. Storm begins to grasp the potential magnitude such artifacts will have on contemporary religion and politics -- especially the competing historical claims to Jerusalem. Some seek to claim the gold for the treasure it represents; others are determined to destroy it. With the tangled motives of greed and power now in focus, old allies become new enemies. Through this, something unexpected tugs at Storm. The sacred relics represent a formidable metaphor to an ancient faith; will her search include a renewal of her own faith?

My review

rating: 4 of 5 stars
Now this was a fun book! "Gold of Kings" is quite adventurous and easily can be visualized as an action film much like National Treasure or the Da Vinci Code films in theory. The reading of this book gives off a similar vibe to Matt Bronleewe's August Adams series, although it is not quite as cool in my opinion as I just loved those books, but really like this one.

There are really three main characters that you are following through out the book in their physical, mental, and spiritual battles. The adventure is laid out for the reader to enjoy right along with the characters. The only flaw points that draw me back are the parts where a character figures something out, but it is hidden from the reader. That makes me feel like an outsider, and I love the stories that are as if you are right along side them, and not viewing from a window, you know?

One of the best parts about this book are the historical facts and images that are brought to life and explained through out. As the characters are learning some historical pieces of the puzzle the explanations are given to the reader as well in an intriguing manner. Maybe it is because I have a Bachelor of Arts in Religious Studies and this is just my thing, but over all I was thoroughly impressed and plan to look for more titles like this from Davis Bunn in the future.

11,022 pages for 2009
36 books for 2009
May count 6

[image error]

message 23: by Margaret (last edited Jun 09, 2009 02:17PM) (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments This has been a good historical fiction week for me, more reviews to come..

A Bride in the Bargain A Bride in the Bargain by Deeanne Gist

In 1860s Seattle, redwoods were plentiful but women scarce. Yet a man with a wife could secure himself 640 acres of timberland for free.

Joe Denton doesn't have a wife, though. His died before she could follow him to Seattle and now the local judge is threatening to take away his claim. In desperation, he buys himself a Mercer bride -- eastern widows and orphans brought to the Territory by entrepreneur Asa Mercer.

Anna Ivey's journey west with Asa Mercer's girls is an escape from the aftermath of the Civil War. She signed on to become a cook -- not a bride. When she's handed over to Denton, her stubborn refusal to wed jeopardizes his land. With only a few months before he loses all he holds dear, can he convince this provoking, but beguiling, easterner to be his lawfully wedded wife?
My review

On the east coast, then around the horn to the west coast this book spans the United States shortly after the Civil War. Being a southern girl through and through it was interesting for me to really feel for a character who could not be more devoted to her Union ties. Starting with nothing but loss and a past that is haunted by guilt not earned our heroine learns to get up and go on with life. The matter is she has to open her life to where God leads and not to where she is determined to be. Our hero is set and knows what he wants, but does not necessarily like what he has to do to get it. Until he accepts his fate and realizes that quite possibly God has a better plan that he. A bargain is made and if all goes well there might be a bride, but which one and will it be in time for everything else to be saved?

The preface of the book is set on a historically accurate fact that a man did take it upon himself to go to the east coast to find wives (orphans - not in the children sense you think of, but girls old enough to marry with no family or other options and widows - women who were left alone with either children or not after the Civil War stole them of their husbands) for the men on the west coast. If you've read much historical fiction, you know many men went west for the land, the mining, and this case the lumberjacking as well. The man who was the "entrepreneur" was not an honest man, but he was not evil in the sense of some characters as well. He was just a man who did not always tell the whole truth.

Other than just knowing that the women who were invited to participate in the exodus were from categories such as widows and orphans, there is no real emphasis on the fact or details of the past lives. So there is no dwelling sadness there as one might assume.

In a way, I would very much relate a partial idea of the story to A Bride Most Begrudging. The location is completely different. The characters are completely different. The plot is completely different. But in a similar fashion there is a woman who the last thing on her mind was getting married, who finds out that it might not be up to her with her plans of what she once thought.

How does that sound?

View all my reviews.

11,387 pages for 2009 (reviewed)
37 books for 2009 (reviewed)
June count 1 (reviewed)

message 24: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Deceptive Promises (Delaware Brides Series #3) (Heartsong Presents #823) Deceptive Promises by Amber Miller

Margret wants to believe Samuel’s promises. Is deception fair in wartime? Margret Scott must deal with this question as she finds herself attracted to the enigmatic Samuel Lowe. As the tensions grow between the colonists and the British soldiers and loyalists, Margret cannot always tell where Samuel’s loyalties lie. Samuel’s duties have him working for both sides of this war, and he often finds himself torn between what is right and what is wrong. He promises Margret she can trust him, and Margret promises him she does.

But can promises born in deception be trusted? Can a relationship built in uncertainty survive? "If I have walked with vanity, or if my foot hath hasted to deceit; Let me be weighed in an even balance that God may know mine integrity." Job 31:5-6
My review

Deceptive Promises is probably my favorite of the three Delaware Brides Series. Maybe it because authors get better with time or just deeper into you heart. Maybe it is because the Revolutionary War is my favorite period of American history. Maybe it is because I cannot imagine falling in love and then being separated for months on end and want to know how the characters can possibly survive it! Either way, this book is fabulous and I loved it.

Margret is not a half bad character name either, if you know what I mean. *grin* The only negative thing I have to say at all is that I do not like the cover. Their position seems so unnatural and she almost looks uncomfortable and as if she wants to run. Yet again, maybe that is just me. Plus I am not a fan of mass markets, but anything from this author Amber Miller, soon to be published as Amber Stockton is worth it.

This is a story that delves into history and tells details of some of my favorite historical players. This is almost a history lesson with some romance thrown in. To really understand some of the other characters I would suggest reading the entire trilogy, but it is very capable of being read alone as well, and highly recommended as a novel as well.

View all my reviews.

11,563 pages for 2009 (reviewed)
38 books for 2009 (reviewed)
June count 2 (reviewed)

message 25: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Love's Pursuit Love's Pursuit by Siri L. Mitchell

My review
rating: 3 of 5 stars
This is an uncomfortable read. It is fabulous story telling, and the themes are ones that need to be told. But it is not warm and fuzzy, and nor does it need to be to be told well. Siri Mitchell is an incredible author and her writing is good. She delves into the harder sides of characters lives and deals with stories that need to be told in a manner where many would just walk away from the pain and hardships.

However this book is not all prickles and stings, there are the shimmers of light one needs to grab onto to keep on going. One must grab them though and not let them pass on by. In my opinion, this is one of those stories where after reading it, you do not just get up and go back into a loud world, but you sit and contemplate and let what has been experienced soak in.

Love's Pursuit is a perfect title for this book. Through out you assume things to be one way, yet reading the back cover blurb another, and then as plot thickens and other things change you assume another. Yet to me, in reality, the title is meant in a different frame of view entirely. The first half of this book was a bit for me to trudge through, but I am so glad that I did and I do recommend the book. I recommend when you get to parts that you might want to put it down, that you keep on going, because the gift that you are given by accomplishing this read are well worth your effort.

View all my reviews.

11,883 pages for 2009 (reviewed)
39 books for 2009 (reviewed)
June count 3 (reviewed)

message 26: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments No Place for a Lady (Heart of the West, #1) No Place for a Lady (Heart of the West, #1) by Maggie Brendan

Crystal Clark arrives in Colorado's Yampa Valley amid the splendor of a high country June in 1892. After the death of her father, Crystal is relieved to be leaving the troubles of her Georgia life behind to visit her aunt Kate's cattle ranch. Despite being raised as a proper Southern belle, Crystal is determined to hold her own in this wild land--even if a certain handsome foreman doubts her abilities. Just when she thinks she's getting a handle on the constant male attention from the cowhands and the catty barbs from some of the local young women, tragedy strikes the ranch. Crystal will have to tap all of her resolve to save the ranch from a greedy neighboring landowner. Can she rise to the challenge? Or will she head back to Georgia defeated? Book one in the Heart of the West series, No Place for a Lady is full of adventure, romance, and the indomitable human spirit. Readers will fall in love with the Colorado setting and the spunky Southern belle who wants to claim it as her own.
My review

Having a plot line that starts and grows with tragedy, this is a novel that grabs your heart and makes you silently or even sometimes verbally cheer on the heroine to succeed at her current goal. Maggie Brendan has done well with her first novel and I definitely look forward to more. This is easily one of those stories where you are screaming for the characters to see what you as a reader are seeing. There are times where I thought something would come out differently, but with the story coming to a close I could not have imagined anything better than the way it was itself. I cannot wait for the next book in the series!!

View all my reviews.

Paperback: 304 pages Publisher: Revell (February 1, 2009) Language: English ISBN-10: 0800733355 ISBN-13: 978-0800733353

12,187 pages for 2009 (reviewed)
40 books for 2009 (reviewed)
June count 4 (reviewed)

message 27: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments [image error] Breathe: A Novel of Colorado by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Devastated by the loss of four sons to tuberculosis and his wife in childbirth, a Philadelphia patriarch sends his three living children west in 1883 to make a new life in the clean mountain air of Colorado Springs. Odessa is struggling to survive consumption; Moira is beautiful and dangerously headstrong; and pugnacious Dominic is charged with establishing a new arm of the family business-a business he doesn't want. Readers will love The Homeward Trilogy, in which the St. Clair siblings struggle to follow where the heavenly Father leads them.
In Breathe, Odessa arrives at a famous sanitarium seeking a cure for the disease that killed her brothers. While Moira and Nic establish themselves in Colorado Springs society, Dessa inches her way back to health... and into love with a softspoken fellow patient, rancher Bryce McAllan. When she witnesses a murder - in the very hospital where she is recuperating - and other patients begin to die, Dessa struggles to breathe again. She'd always expected to die young, but now that she has a reason to live, can she hold on to her fragile health to solve the mystery?
My review

Breathe is more than just a prairie romance, it is an edge of your seat page turning mystery. This book is deeper than most historical fiction books that you will find and it really makes you think. There is a darker side of things, but not too dark to survive without God on your side.

In this novel, instead of following one character with various side characters in the background, the reader really follows the three different St. Clair siblings on their individual adventures. Having one story come to a content closure in this book, I really look forward to the next two books in the series to find out just how their journeys continue.

View all my reviews.

12,587 pages for 2009
41 books for 2009
June count 5

message 28: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments The Postpartum Survival Guide Everything You Need to Know about Postpartum Depression [image error]

Eighty percent of all pregnant women struggle with depression during or after their child’s birth. But there is good news about postpartum mood disorders—they are almost 100% treatable. In the definitive guide to postpartum depression, written from a Christian perspective by a team of experts including best-selling author and popular psychologist Dr. Paul Meier (Happiness Is a Choice), The Postpartum Survival Guide explains why this depression occurs, who’s at risk, how to treat it, and where to find God in it all. Coauthor Lynne Johnson, RN, provides a woman’s perspective on the issues of motherhood and depression. Using real-life stories and practical advice from medical professionals, The Postpartum Survival Guide offers hope-filled solutions that will help new mothers enjoy this special time in their lives. Plus, it also contains helpful resource for fathers, family members, friends, pastors, counselors, and medical practitioners.
My review

What an incredible resource. This book is written to pregnancy soon to be mothers, fathers, other friends and family of pregnant mothers and more. Coming from so many different angles this is a book that shows that some postpartum depression can be completely normal and it is how you handle it (and not ignore it) that really matters. In my opinion there are some things that I am hesitant to agree with in manners of breast feeding and such, but I can understand where the authors are coming from in making their point. I have also found that where some things I was adamant about my decision, from reading their psychological medical point of view, I can now see how a different decision or an open minded scenario might be preferable to every one's health. I truly feel that reading this book has been a benefit to my pregnancy and suggest it to others to read as well.

View all my reviews.

Click on the label "The Postpartum Survival Guide" to see another post with a complete first chapter for you to read...

* Paperback: 192 pages
* Publisher: Tyndale House Publishers (May 6, 2009)
* Language: English
* ISBN-10: 1414312830
* ISBN-13: 978-1414312835
* Product Dimensions: 8.1 x 5.4 x 0.6 inches

12,779 pages for 2009
42 books for 2009
June count 6

message 29: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Montana Rose (Montana Marriages Series #1) Montana Rose by Mary Connealy

Fire up your love of romance with Montana Rose , where Cassie Griffin, a seemingly spoiled pregnant woman, is widowed one day and wedded the next. Marrying handyman Red Dawson seems the only alternative to Cassie’s being hitched to a brutal rancher. But can this “China doll” bear exchanging smooth silk for coarse calico? Red was reluctant to be yoked to an unbeliever, but sometimes a man has no choice. Will Red change Cassie’s heart by changing her name? Wade Sawyer is obsessed with saving Cassie from a marriage of convenience. How far will he go make her his own?
My review
Every time that I pick up and read a book from Mary Connealy I am in awe at the topics and issues that are addressed in such a loving and in depth manner. This specific book deals with marriage, courage, abuse, healing, strength, and new faith. The lives of the characters are so real and so easily comparable to real life that it is extremely difficult to remember that it supposedly just a fictitious story in novel format.

Cassie is a woman who was brought up in a closed environment where she was unable to think or be for herself. She was then thrust into a life where the static existence that she formerly knew was practically ripped to shreds as piece by piece she learned to think for herself. Belle is a wounded woman who has endured so much pain at the form of broken hearts in marriage that any hope she once had has dwindled. It is now time for her to either accept the painful defeat of life or find hope in an attempt of grace in action. This book tells the story of Cassie and gets a good foot in the door of the tale behind Belle's life. (Cannot wait for another book in the series to find out more!!)

Many people know and think about abuse and how it is a physical pain, but often they forget about the emotional and spiritual scars that are endured as well. Within this tale, various characters find ways of adapting and moving forward in life from years of proverbial abuse. Some make the right decisions and some do not. Watching these characters and their mistakes and correct actions can cause a reader to grow as well.

This book is filled to the brim with situations where a reader can learn through someone's pain instead of their own. Also in the style of Mary Connealy, conversations and events fill a reader full to giggling whether they want to or not. Their were points where I'm not sure if I should blame my own pregnancy or not for the giggles brought me to tears. For me personally, another best part of this book was reading about two characters and their own experiences with pregnancy. This is the first book with a birth that I have been blessed to read that was more than she's pregnant and in the last chapter has the babe. I was enthralled by the experiences and interactions that it proved to provide with neighbors and spouses.

And now, I impatiently wait for the next book in the series or other from the imaginations of Mary Connealy!!

View all my reviews.

13,099 pages for 2009
43 books for 2009
July count 1

message 30: by Margaret (last edited Jul 09, 2009 05:38PM) (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments [image error] Ransome's Honor by Kaye Dacus

The Ransome Trilogy from exciting new author Kaye Dacus combines the wit, romance, and social commentary of Jane Austen with the sea-faring adventure of Horatio Hornblower.

July 1814. The war with France has ended, and Captain William Ransome, known for never letting women aboard his ship, has returned to Portsmouth, England. Julia Witherington, considered an old-maid at 29, discovers that she must marry immediately to receive a large dowry. Julia knows that the only man she doesn’t want to marry is William Ransome. And the only man her father will approve of is…William Ransome.

When the couple strikes a financial deal to feign marriage for one year, the adventure begins. These stubborn people face humorous and hard situations that reveal what else they have in common—a growing affection for one another. This intriguing tale of faith and loyalty is a wonderful new offering for readers of all genres.

My review rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh my! This is the best book that I have read in a while with no exaggeration. In a way it is Persuasion with some Pride and Prejudice as well as a bit of Sense and Sensibility put within. Action, adventure, intrigue, romance, rescue, and true love, edge of the seat, page turning, not able to read fast enough thrills throughout. This novel has all of the great qualities of a fabulous read and reminds me of other stories I have read and loved. Without a doubt this is one for the permanent keeper shelf and I cannot wait for more from the series. This is my first Kaye Dacus, but not my last. I plan to read some of her contemporary series next.
As far as a recommendation for who would like this book... Well it's regency, and deals with the King's Navy. I would relate the adventure and feeling of reading that that of when I read a book by MaryLu Tyndall or Kathleen Y'Barbo. In my opinion, set some time aside when you plan to start this book, because you will be in pain to attempt to set it down and walk away from what happens next! Highly recommended!!!

View all my reviews.

13,451 pages for 2009
44 books for 2009
July count 2

message 31: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Stand-In Groom (Brides of Bonneterre, Book #1) Stand-In Groom by Kaye Dacus

Get ready to attend the quirkiest wedding ever in this delightful romance by Kaye Dacus, a new voice in women's contemporary fiction. When wedding planner Anne Hawthorne first meets George Laurence, she thinks she's found the man of her dreams. But when she discovers he's a client, she knows planning his wedding will be no honeymoon. Can Anne remain professional while falling for the groom? Or will she risk her heart, her values, and her career in the midst of planning the wedding of the century?
My review
This is quite the romance. Some could call it predictable, but I would not necessarily say that because one could not foresee all the twists and turns that are to occur before the outcome. I only think people will predict how they want it to end and just assume they will get it right. As I have said dozens of times before, I am not much a fan of contemporary romances, but I liked this one. That said, I did not necessarily love it. But I think that is because my heart is just stronger in the realm of historical fiction. (Definitely recommend Kaye Dacus' historical series The Ransome Trilogy!!)

Some elements of a large family and good food were parts of this story that I am not used to reading in a book that I quite enjoyed. As well as imagining the scenes and hearing the British or Southern accents play through in the characters vernacular. This is my first contemporary experience with reading this author and it will not be my last. I do recommend this book, and look forward to reading the sequel soon in a few days.

Things happen in life to get you where you need to be, and the hardest part is dealing with a painful event and believing that you will get past it. God knows what he is doing, and the part to remember is that things are best in his time and not in our own. I feel very uplifted from this book and the characters experiences. It makes me think over things from my own past and see more of God in them than I ever would have realized at the time.

View all my reviews.

13,739 pages for 2009
45 books for 2009
July count 3

message 32: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Menu for Romance (Brides of Bonneterre, #2) Menu for Romance by Kaye Dacus

After eight years of unrequited love, Meredith Guidry makes a New Year’s resolution to find someone new and end her single status before the year’s over. Executive Chef Major O’Hara has foresworn relationships, knowing he could never saddle the woman he loves with a family situation like his. But when it seems he’s about to lose Meredith Guidry to another man, he realizes he must concoct a MENU FOR ROMANCE to win her back.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What an enjoyable contemporary romance read! This is a sequel, but easily could be read and loved alone, but if you skip to this one it will make you eager to go back and read the first novel as well. The characters are real and fast to fill into your heart and bring you along on their journey. The story is told from the point of view of two separate characters that each have a bit of personal and spiritual growth that they must go through before they are ready to know what is capable of coming next in life. I strongly recommend this read for the romantic at heart, whether single or not it is an enjoyable and strengthening read.

View all my reviews >>

Paperback: 320 pages Publisher: Barbour Publishing, Inc (July 1, 2009) Language: English ISBN-10: 160260455X ISBN-13: 978-1602604551 Product Dimensions: 7.9 x 5.1 x 1 inches
Click here, to go back and read my review of Book #1, Stand-In Groom.

14,059 pages for 2009
46 books for 2009
July count 4

message 33: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments [image error] My Everyday Promise Bible by Phil Smouse

How can parents teach their kids about God’s faithfulness? Give them My Everyday Promise Bible, from the creator of Jesus Wants All of Me! This brand-new book for kids ages 3 to 5 is packed with age-appropriate Bible promises, devotional thoughts, and fun, colorful illustrations. It features 365 daily readings on a promise of scripture, carefully written so that kids can understand. Author and illustrator Phil Smouse has created an engaging way to introduce youngsters to the unchanging goodness of God.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
*These are my thoughts of an ARC Excerpt copy*

What a delightful little devotional for 3-5 year-old children! Before a child is able to read on their own they could enjoy this as a caregiver reads to them and/or just enjoy the pictures through out. Each page is filled with a verse, a sentence explanation in understandable terms and an image that shows what the word of God is portraying in that verse. I cannot wait to get a copy of this to share my little gal and I suggest that you look into it for you and yours! Coming, September 2009.

View all my reviews >>

14,101 pages for 2009
47 books for 2009
July count 5

message 34: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments [image error] Pirate Hunter by Tom Morrisey

From the blue waters of the Caribbean and the Florida Keys to the wind-swept wilds of the Outer Banks, Pirate Hunter combines the romantic popularity of a pirate tale with an inspirational story of modern-day treasure hunters.

Following a captured slave who's been freed by the sixteenth-century pirate who takes his ship, the novel weaves a rollicking tale of adventure. Paralleling this story in the present are the treasure hunters seeking the gold--and stories--of the past. Greg Rhode--a preacher's kid who has become a marine archaeologist--hires on to participate in Phil Rackham's salvage operation in the Florida Keys. He is hoping that Rackham will make him rich, not suspecting the true riches he'll eventually confront.

This novel is not incredible, but very enjoyable. Each page and chapter keeps a reader thirsting for what comes next. In a way this is both a contemporary novel and a historical. Just about every other chapter is in two different stories that are very different, but at the same time similar in theory and lesson. The characters are easy to come to admire and appreciate even the proverbial "bad guys". At times in some chapters there were parts where I felt that I was overrun with information, but then in the next part of the story I felt those two page of words were necessary after all even though while reading through them I slightly lost interest. One of the best skills as a writer that I enjoyed while reading my first novel from Tom Morrisey was the way that he opened a next chapter going from one century to another and truly weaving the stories together in a way that fit perfectly. Over all this is a pretty great book that really gets a reader into the world of contemporary treasure hunters and opens a port hole of insight into the world of repentant pirates. I recommend it.

View all my reviews >>

Paperback: 352 pages Publisher: Bethany House; 1 edition (July 1, 2009) Language: English ISBN-10: 0764203487 ISBN-13: 978-0764203480 Product Dimensions: 8.2 x 5.4 x 1 inches

14,453 pages for 2009
48 books for 2009
July count 6

message 35: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Expecting: Praying for Your Child's Development-Body and Soul Expecting: Praying for Your Child's Development-Body and Soul by Marla Taviano

Wrap Your New Baby in Prayer
Just as the heart of your baby begins to beat and as little ears take shape, speak words of prayer asking for a heart that beats for God and for ears that listen for His leading. This beautiful prayer book will guide you as you pray for your child's physical growth as well as his or her spiritual growth. The precious forty weeks of creation will become even more meaningful as you reflect on the illustrations that depict your baby's development.

Each week you will be blessed with:

- A prayer for your child's body and soul

- A devotional message

- A carefully selected scripture

- An inspirational quote

- A "body and soul" reflection for mom

- A space for you to journal your own thoughts and prayersCreate a keepsake you and your child will cherish forever.

As I close the cover of this little book I have a few tears in my eyes. I could easily blame it on the pregnancy hormones, but that would only be half true. The idea of imagining that it is really only days if not weeks that I will be able to meet my little girl is unreal. What is funny to me is the part that I read at the last chapter that really gave me tears was the mention that as the mother I will not be the only one with tears, but Daddy will have them too. *grin* I never much think of my husband crying, or having tears run down his cheeks. But it was he that had tears of joy at our wedding and I was too astonished to have any myself. I just could not help but smile at him. How appropriate is it, that the idea of my first child being born reminds me wedding day. *sigh*

Taviano really has a way with prayer and words through out this little devotional and I look forward to looking into some of her other books such as Changing Your World One Diaper at a Time A Reflective Journey Through Your Child's First Years. This book goes for 40 weeks to follow each week of pregnancy with tips and prayers.

Each week chapter consists of:
a prayer for your child's body and soul a devotional message a carefully selected scripture an inspirational quote a "body and soul" reflection for mom a space for you to journal your own thoughts and prayers.

Without a doubt I would recommend this to every Mama who is expecting. It is a fabulous devotional for her own growth and would make a great gift. My only qualm was that I did not get a copy of it until after I was 20 weeks pregnant, I wish I had started earlier, but I still enjoyed going back and catching up where I missed.

View all my reviews >>

14,661 pages for 2009
49 books for 2009
July count 7

message 36: by Karol (new)

Karol Margaret wrote: " Pirate Hunter by Tom Morrisey

From the blue waters of the Caribbean and the Florida Keys to the wind-swept wilds of the Outer Banks, Pirate Hunter combines the romantic popularity of a pirate tal..."

Margaret, thanks for sharing your comments on all your books - very enjoyable to read. As for this particular book, it is officially added to my "To Read" list.

message 37: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments New Mom's Guide to Dealing with Dad, The (The New Mom's Guides) New Mom's Guide to Dealing with Dad, The by Susan Besze Wallace

New moms run into a host of new challenges once baby arrives, including getting back into shape, developing a parenting style, readjusting schedules, and interacting with their husbands in new ways. With compassion and humor--and always the privilege of motherhood in mind--The New Mom's Guides go straight to the heart of these matters, offering moms guidance and encouragement in this new season of life. Each of the four books in the series offers real advice from women who have been there, done that, and want other moms to benefit from their trials and triumphs. A perfect gift for baby showers, Mother's Day, or any day, these small volumes are compact enough to take along in an overstuffed diaper bag and designed for the mom who can only find a few minutes of peace each day to read.

What a fabulous resource this is! Not just for new mom's, but for moms of many, and one-day-to-be-moms. This is not just about little book about dealing with dad, as one more thing to be tackled when there is a new baby, but really a useful device for all around good tips for marriage in a family. Each chapter and every page is filled with quotes and tips and tidbits from experienced moms and dads who share their mistakes and breakthroughs with readers. Learn from their mistakes, instead of making them yourself! I highly recommend this little book and I cannot wait to dive into some of the other titles available through MOPS from Susan Besze Wallace and Monica Reed.

View all my reviews >>

14,821 pages for 2009
50 books for 2009
July count 8

message 38: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments

In the category of pregnancy reads, I would say this is one of my favorites and most useful books. In the category of weekly updates of what is most likely happening in your pregnancy, this is by far the best book of it's kind. I had so many recommendations to read a different book that has been around, but I am so glad that I found this one, in comparison the "other" book has nothing on this one. When curious about this book in it's republication, I found several negative reviews that talked about how it could cause a person to become neurotic knowing all the possible things that can go wrong. Really, what I can tell you from reading this cover to cover, is that it definitely has information on a bit of everything, most plausible diseases and complications. When I was reading this, if I came to a section on smoking mothers, it obviously did not apply to me, so I skipped over it. Same with other categories such as ethnic specific diseases and so on.

I find that this book is a wealth of information. Reading through can tell you plausible things to go wrong, but it also tells you all the miracles that are occurring step by step along the way. There are drawings that show about what the development looks like for your babies stage. There are fabulous exercise suggestions for each week and I would easily say that this is medically current and a comprehensive guide. With my background in nursing I would suggest this book highly.

View all my reviews >>

* Paperback: 664 pages
* Publisher: Da Capo Press; 6 Rev Upd edition (December 3, 2007)
* Language: English
* ISBN-10: 0738211095
* ISBN-13: 978-0738211091
* Product Dimensions: 8.9 x 6 x 1.5 inches

15,469 pages for 2009
51 books for 2009
July count 9

message 39: by Margaret (last edited Jul 22, 2009 12:33PM) (new)

message 40: by Angie H (new)

Angie H Margaret wrote: " Expecting: Praying for Your Child's Development-Body and Soul by Marla Taviano

Wrap Your New Baby in Prayer
Just as the heart of your baby begins to beat and as little ears take shape, speak word..."

Sounds like a truly beautiful book!

message 41: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Angie - It really is, I highly recommend it.

message 42: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments The Pregnancy Journal, Revised Edition: A Day-to-Day Guide to a Healthy and Happy Pregnancy The Pregnancy Journal, Revised Edition: A Day-to-Day Guide to a Healthy and Happy Pregnancy by A. Christine Harris

Since its publication in 1996, this definitive journal for expectant families has sold over a million copies. Author A. Christine Harris brings a revised and thoroughly updated edition to today’s parents-to-be. Still featuring daily entries, a personalized timeline, and pregnancy glossary, the revised edition provides a clearer picture of the baby's in-utero development and the latest advice about giving a growing baby every advantage prior to birth.

My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Early on, when I first got a copy of this journal I was so excited about the idea of keeping a journal of notes and thoughts through out my entire pregnancy. Honestly, this specific journal was not the best choice for me. The places to actually "journal" are sporatic at best and usually at pages and sections when I just feel like I have nothing to write. Then when I have many thoughts to write, there are no journal lines. It was a bit irritating. The other thing that was odd was the way that you personalize the dates of the journal. Their counting system was off from every other system I have heard of, and there are instructions, but they do not quite add up to what they say either. Next time around, I'm going to look more specifically for a journal to journal in. This I would not really have titled a journal, but a day by day guide to what's going on with you and your baby during pregnancy. The facts especially the cultural anthropological world details are really neat. I also enjoyed hearing about measurement averages and changes from an average day to day. But overall, I cannot really recommend this as being my cup of tea.

View all my reviews >>

# Spiral-bound: 206 pages
# Publisher: Chronicle Books; Revised edition (January 20, 2005)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0811846970
# ISBN-13: 978-0811846974
# Product Dimensions: 9.9 x 7.3 x 1 inches

15,979 pages for 2009
53 books for 2009
July count 11

message 43: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments [image error] The Complete Illustrated Pregnancy Companion: A Week-by-Week Guide to Everything You Need To Do for a Healthy Pregnancy by Robin Elise Weiss

At this point I think I own a copy of every pregnancy book that goes weekly out there including journals and this one is the best by far. It does not go into all the medical jargon as to what can possibly go wrong as some other books, but give tips and specific notes on what changes are occurring in your your body and your baby's body this week. My only down note was that I did not discover this until my third trimester. IF you are looking for a more medically inclined book I strongly suggest Your Pregnancy Week by Week, it is absolutely fabulous in that aspect.

This book gives you the "crash course" of what's going on in a checklist format, and then throughout a chapter goes into more detail, so you can immediately find pieces you are curious about, and skip things you are not so intrigue about or rather come back to them later. The coloring and changing of fonts with various sections as well as the images and pictures through out really makes this a beautiful and esthetically pleasing to the eye book. It is a big book as in wide and tall like a text book, but it is a fabulous resource that I recommend for every pregnant woman to have around.

View all my reviews >>

16,299 pages for 2009
54 books for 2009
July count 12

message 44: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments What to Expect When You're Expecting (Revised Edition) What to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff

My rating: 1 of 5 stars
I did not like this one. So many others I can recommend are better. Especially since this is broken into trimesters, you almost forget to read the next section along and along. I highly recommend Weekly books such as Your Pregnancy Week by Week and newly published The Complete Illustrated Pregnancy Companion A Week-by-Week Guide to Everything You Need To Do for a Healthy Pregnancy. I know it's a classic and recommended by many over the years, but there is just so much better available now. Sorry.

View all my reviews >>

16,753 pages for 2009
55 books for 2009
July count 13

message 45: by Karol (new)

Karol Margaret, I think your comments are so interesting and valuable for moms-to-be! When I was expecting 10 years ago, "What to Expect" was all I had. I learned a lot from it, but it's great to see that there are a lot of other titles out there! I think you've done a great job summarizing them.

message 46: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Kay wrote: "Margaret, I think your comments are so interesting and valuable for moms-to-be! When I was expecting 10 years ago, "What to Expect" was all I had. I learned a lot from it, but it's great to see t..."

Thanks Kay. I'm trying, with some it's easy to rave about what's great in them. With others I really have to put for effort to describe them. lol

message 47: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Deadly Intent (Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense) Deadly Intent by Camy Tang

Deadly Intent was a very enjoyable read for me as far as mysteries go. I was amazed and completely shocked that I really had no clue as to who the culprit was until late in the game. Usually authors give it away so easily, I loved how Camy really gave you so many different factors that the surprise really is there. I recommend this read easily, and I cannot wait to share it with my mom, because I know she'll love it. The mystery is great, the romantic elements are perfectly appropriate, and the Christian tones are exactly what is needed with the plot line. I love it.

View all my reviews >>

16,977 pages for 2009
56 books for 2009
July count 14

message 48: by Margaret (last edited Aug 08, 2009 05:19PM) (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Your Pregnancy Quick Guide: Pospartum Wellness, What you need to know about recovering from childbirth, enjoying your newborn and becoming a family (Your Pregnancy Series) Your Pregnancy Quick Guide: Pospartum Wellness, What you need to know about recovering from childbirth, enjoying your newborn and becoming a family by Glade B. Curtis

By the best-selling authors of the Your Pregnancy series, medically sound and succinct information for the pregnant woman who needs detailed information on a specific concern

What you need to know about recovering from childbirth and enjoying your newborn

Tips for recovering from childbirth and regaining strength and vitality

How to tell if your baby is getting enough breast milk or formula

Nutritional information and recommended exercises to help you get back in shape

Creative ways to set aside time for you and your spouse to be alone together

Questions to ask at baby's first visit to the pediatrician and your first post-delivery check-up

Coping advice for adjusting to the changing dynamics in the household

Information on selecting childcare, if you're returning to work

I received this book at the perfect time, it arrived the day before I delivered my first child, a daughter. The wisdom in this book is exactly what I needed to read and hear. The quick guide is not overwhelming with information, but provides enough to give advice and reassure the new mother (or other person affected by a recent family addition) in a time of drastic change. Reading this book over a week, just snippets here and there when a break from new baby care occurred was just what I needed. I cannot wait to read more of the Quick Guides from the "Your Pregnancy" series and I highly recommend them to others.

View all my reviews >>

17,209 pages for 2009
57 books for 2009
August count 1

message 49: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Your Pregnancy Quick Guide: Labor and Delivery, What You Need to Know about Childbirth (Your Pregnancy Quick Guides) Your Pregnancy Quick Guide: Labor and Delivery, What You Need to Know about Childbirth by Glade B. Curtis

From the authors of the best-selling Your Pregnancy series, medically sound and succinct guides for the pregnant woman who needs detailed information on a specific concern:

Tips for preparing mentally and physically for the big day

How to recognize the onset of labor

When to go to the hospital after labor begins

Guidance on choosing between natural childbirth and one with medical intervention

What you need to know about Cesarean delivery

Information on the different pain relief options

Advice for your partner or labor coach

An overview of the tests you'll go through during and after delivery

I wish I had read this before my labor and delivery, but even reading it in the days afterward was very useful. It was reassuring to read about normalcy and have answers to questions about things that occurred and would occur in the days soon to come. This book answers many of the questions that a new mom has and may not think to ask her doctor. Questions can be answered or prompted from this little quick guide. It is short enough to read in snippets and enjoy the information gained. I recommend it and look forward to other Quick Guides from the "Your Pregnancy" series.

View all my reviews >>

17,378 pages for 2009
58 books for 2009
August count 2

message 50: by Margaret (last edited Aug 18, 2009 02:50PM) (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments A Dream to Call My Own 5/5

TSI The Gabon Virus 5/5

18,082 pages for 2009
60 books for 2009
August count 4

« previous 1