Ratebeer Readers discussion

twilight

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Probiere (new)

Probiere | 5 comments Almost every woman I know is excited about this movie. Apparently there was a book as well? I had never heard of it before last week.

message 2: by Muzzlehatch (last edited Nov 20, 2008 06:52AM) (new)

Muzzlehatch | 168 comments Most popular young-adult book series since Harry Potter though unlike HP it seems to be mostly a US phenomenon. The author is a conservative Mormon in her 30s and the books take a very unorthodox look at vampires -- no sex whatsoever, and very little violence apparently. Seems more like a romance with a bit of the supernatural aimed explicitly at conservative godfearing teen girls. At least, that's my impression. What I've read about it makes me think it would be absolutely godawful -- advance reviews of the film have been quite poor as well -- but the film will undoubtedly be a monster hit.

message 3: by William (new)

William (acknud) My wife read the first book in the series. I think she liked it but shooed me away from it. No blood, sex or violence. What kind of vampire book is that?

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason | 39 comments The movie looks as bad as a WB series.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3 comments actually there is blood sex and violence. well there is "playful" areas where they come close to having sex but it never happens until the last book edward makes her wait.

message 6: by Probiere (new)

Probiere | 5 comments Ah yes, muzzle, what else could women POSSIBLY want but a chaste romance with some magic thrown in? Your description gave me the lulz.

message 7: by Muzzlehatch (new)

Muzzlehatch | 168 comments I'm surprised that women you know would be into this, Emily, unless you hang around a lot of women who are very different from yourself -- or who will go for anything at all with the word "vampire" attached. Read some of the 1-star reviews of the book here, good for some laughs...