Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers and Readers discussion

MOVIES :) (Only sci-fi/fantasy) > What are your favorite Science Fiction movies?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (farwyn) | 2 comments On a lighter side of SciFi - Galaxy Quest!

Also, Evolution is hilarious too. Listening to Orlando Bloom scream like a girl always makes me laugh.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Galaxy Quest (latest addition)
The Day The Earth Stood Still (1958)
Forbidden Planet (1958)
War of The Worlds (1953)
War of The Worlds (2005)
This Island Earth
The Time Machine (1960)

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  (cunningfox) | 4 comments Riddick and the Matrix stuff always and I giggle all through Evolution everytime. Right now my favorite is Serenity.

message 4: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 8 comments Saved By Grace wrote: "What are Evolution and Serenity? I've never heard of those movies ...
"

Evolution is a semi-comedy about a life form that came to Earth on a meteor that runs through its evolution at an incredible speed, and the scientists that discover it. Serenity is the follow-up to the Firefly TV show, intended to tie up most of the loose ends after the show was (stupidly) canceled.

I liked Matrix over any of its sequels, Pitch Black over Riddick. Equilibrium, Deep Impact, Wall-E, Slither (if you like Evolution you might like this, more of a horror flick, though), Galaxy Quest, Terminator 1 & 2. Most of the movies on my shelf are fantasy-related.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  (cunningfox) | 4 comments Yep, there's a love story there. I can't wait to see the fourth. I really enjoyed Wall-E too. I need to see it again.

message 6: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 8 comments The Terminator series went down hill with number three. I had a story idea that could have ended the war before it started and wound up all the time paradoxes at the same time, and I'm sure they could have come up with something better than they did with just a little thought. But the people who made it wanted the war, and foisted off on us a travesty that completely reversed the tone of the first two movies. If I do watch the fourth it'll be because of Christian Bale and no other reason. We've got an endless war now, we don't need one in the movies too.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  (cunningfox) | 4 comments Movies, even the bad ones, have always been a barometer for the things happening in our society. As long as we have wars there will be movies about them. That and the fact that hollywood is going for the lowest common denominator (cash) and violence is what people want to see. This year is already shaping up to be incredibly violent (tanks lining up at the Gaza Strip and bombers popping up everywhere). Hopefully these new movies will help people see the senseless waste of life wars bring. If not I will vote with my wallet.

message 8: by F.J. (new)

F.J. Hansen (fjhansen) | 16 comments Flight of the Navigator
Star Trek (all of them, but The Voyage Home and Insurrection are my 2 top favorites)
Short Circuit
Battle For Terra
Back to the Future trilogy

Really, I'll watch just about anything science fiction.