Jodi Picoult Books Reading Group. discussion

Fun and Games > What's your favorite?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 194 (194 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

Kimberly I think my favorite is Plain Truth.

message 2: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) | 75 comments So far I've only read My Sister's Keeper, so thats my favorite so far.

message 3: by Kathy McC (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Kathy McC | 36 comments My favorite is Nineteen Minutes. I have not read Plain Truth and have only read part of My Sister's Keeper.(I love it) The character development of all the major players in Nineteen Minutes is incredible. The plot twists keep interest until the end and feeling the anguish of all characters is heart wrenching.

message 4: by Clare (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Clare | 15 comments I loved, loved, loved Nineteen Minutes. I have heard Jodi Piccoult speak and was not surprised to hear that she had done a lot of research in order to write this book. If I remember correctly she had interviewed some of the Columbine survivors. I thought this book was very realistic.

message 5: by Maggie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Maggie Evans (unsaltysaltines) Hmmmmm…My favorite was probably Nineteen Minutes. Every time I read a chunk of it, I went away feeling shocked. It was amazing!

message 6: by Joanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Joanie | 23 comments I've loved all of the ones I've read but some more than others, like Plain Truth, Perfect Match, and My Sister's Keeper. One that I loved but don't hear many people talk about is Second Glance. It takes a bit to get into but once the pieces all come together it's great.

message 7: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Jessica (netsiren) | 8 comments I have loved the three that I've read. I loved both Plain Truth and Nineteen Minutes. I liked Perfect Match, but I like the other two better.

message 8: by Lauren (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Lauren | 27 comments The first two that come to mind are Perfect Match and My Sister's Keeper. And I have a feeling that Nineteen Minutes will also be up there on my top list.

message 9: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Jessica (netsiren) | 8 comments Ok I just finished My Sister's Keeper and I now have to add that to my favorite.

message 10: by Britta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

Britta (brittaditta) | 24 comments It's so hard to choose! I'm partial to My Sister's Keeper because it was the book that got me hooked on J.P. But I love them all!

message 11: by Kellie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Kellie Daigle (kellierae83) It's hard to choose one... but the Pact was my first Picoult book, so I will always hold that one near and dear. But I think my all time favorite is My Sister's Keeper. It's the only book I've ever read that made me cry. Loved it.

message 12: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) | 75 comments Same with my Britta... After MSK, I got hooked.

message 13: by Abby (new)

Abby | 2 comments I read my first Picoult book over the summer and fell in love with her books. I read My Sisters Keeper and could not put it down. That one along with Nineteen Minutes are my favorites so far. It's funny too because it was an accident that I even got her book. I meant to get Memory Keepers Daughter from the library and somehow put in My Sisters Keeper. I guess it was meant to be.

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin Eastin | 1 comments The first book I read was Plain Truth and that got me hooked. I think it was the best book, however I haven't read Nineteen Minutes yet...haven't had time!

message 15: by Angela (new)

Angela Avery | 15 comments My Sister's Keeper is my all-time favorite book, not just out of Jodi Picoult's books. It really has a surprise ending and is something I'd never have thought to write about. Very interesting topic.

Vanishing Acts is my second favorite of her books, then probably Nineteen Minutes. That last book was so powerful and such an important topic. I work in a school and know all too-well how kids can think of retaliating with acts of violence to those who have taunted them. I believe that book showed the other side of the story, from the shooter's point of view, and I believe that is so important.

message 16: by Rachael (new)

Rachael I think The Pact is my favorite.

message 17: by sarafem (new)

sarafem That is interesting because I think The Pact is my least favorite except for Picture Perfect. I was depressed through the whole thing and the two main characters were just obnoxious to me. I don't think I relate well to melodramatics that make themselves victims.

I think my favorites are The Plain Truth and My Sister's Keeper, and I'm not sure I could pick a favorite. Close runner-up is Keeping Faith. One I loved that I never hear anyone talk about is Songs of the Humpback Whale. What do others think of that one?

One I found totally forgettable was Harvesting the Heart. I didn't necessarily dislike it; I just moved on and didn't care about it. Every time I look for new JP books to read, I pick that one up and have to read the jacket to see if I've read it yet.

This is going to make me sound crazy but the reason I love Keeping Faith is because when I was little I was totally fascinated by stigmata. My family wasn't religious, but my best friend was Catholic and I was completely fascinated with Catholicism. My friend's mom told us a story about stigmata and after that I used to cover my hands in red marker and collapse at my dad's feet and moan like I was in so much pain. Sometimes I tried to recite Scripture but all I could remember was "God is good, God is great..." Depending on his mood my dad would either roll his eyes and walk away or double over with laughter.

message 18: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 74 comments I loved My Sister's Keeper. It's definitely my favorite. It's the first Picoult book I read in it's entirety so maybe that has a little to do with it. Nineteen Minutes is a close second though followed by Plain Truth.

My least favorite is The Pact. I just could not get into the characters like I usually do with Jodi's books and I found the court scenes to be long and arduous to get through for some reason. I actually picked this book up when it first came out, before I had read any other of her books and ended up donating it before I read the whole thing because I just couldn't get into it. The only reason I picked up another of her books was becasue a book club I was in was reading My Sister's Keeper. I had to go out and re-buy The Pact and try again!

I'm currently reading Keeping Faith and was having a hard time with it but I just got to the end of part one and it seems to be getting better. It was very easy for me to put down unlike her other books (other than The Pact). It's funny too because I'm really interested in the role religion plays in society. Hopefully, it continues to get better.....

message 19: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) I agree with you on Picture Perfect. I am almost done with it. I don't like either Alex or Cassie and they make me angry through the whole book.

So far, 19 Minutes is my favorite book.

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan | 10 comments Mod
The first book of hers I read and is still my favorite was "the pact". I enjoyed it because though I am older than the characters in the book, I was amazed at how mature and developed they were. I think many parents and readers take for granted the maturity of teens and Jodi gives them due credit in all her novels.

message 21: by Jacqueline115 (new)

Jacqueline115 I've only read three: Salem Falls, My Sister's Keeper and The Pact....While I think all three were wonderful books, I would probably choose Salem Falls because it was unpredictable.

message 22: by Rachel (last edited Mar 15, 2008 09:39AM) (new)

Rachel (rachelbrandt) I really enjoyed both Perfect Match and Vanishing Acts. They are the two I could see myself rereading in the future.

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Witkowski (rachelwitko) My first "Jodi" book was My Sister's Keeper...and although I LOVE almost all of her books, that is by far my favorite! The Pact and Nineteen Minutes are a very close 2nd and 3rd.

message 24: by Rolana (new)

Rolana | 4 comments My Sister's Keeper is my favorite because it was my first entry into the world of Jodi Picoult, so I think it will always have a special place in my heart.

message 25: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Doctoroff (brandiheather) | 3 comments Oh my goodness, thats extremely difficult. The first book I read by here was The Tenth Circle...which wasn't bad....but my very favorite book has to be My Sister's Keeper. Hands down. If you haven't read it yet...then read it. It will become your favorite as well.

message 26: by alisonwonderland (Alison) (last edited Apr 27, 2008 08:52PM) (new)

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 15 comments i've read 11 of Picoult's 15 novels to this point. My Sister's Keeper was my first, and like Rolana, i have a special place in my heart for it. i think at least three of my other favorites are Vanishing Acts, Salem Falls, and Keeping Faith - although i really have liked them all.

message 27: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 5 comments that would be "my sister's keeper", "vanishing acts", "perfect match", and "the pact".

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (sweetpea) | 7 comments So far my favorite of hers was "The Pact". I rarely cry in books but this one had me bawling the whole way through. I loved the relationship of the teenagers. My 2nd favorite of hers was "Perfect Match". I work for Law Enforcement and have worked for kids. So this book hit close to home. I really enjoyed it.

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (skirt) | 5 comments I am not sure if I have a favorite. I enjoyed The 10th Circle. I also really liked Keeping Faith and the newest book. I am getting ready to read Second Glance and it looks really good! Whatever I am reading at the time is my favorite!

message 30: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (victoriapl) My Sister's Keeper. It was the first I read and still is my favorite. Close second would be The Pact. Followed by Second Glance and Songs of the Humpback Whale.

message 31: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1 comments I'm so surprised that more people haven't mentioned Keeping Faith! It was the JP book I found most difficult to put down. I read it in 2 days and loaned it to one friend that finished it in one day and another who finished it in 3 or 4 days. I wanted so badly to see what was going to happen to Faith! I'm especially surprised because my other faves are all well represented in this thread...Plain Truth, My Sister's Keeper, Perfect Match.

message 32: by Rose Ann (new)

Rose Ann I've only read two so far
Nineteen Minutes and The Tenth Circle...
Nineteen Minutes was incredible!!!

message 33: by Meghann (new)

Meghann | 15 comments My favorite is Salem Falls. It's the first one I read and still is my favorite. I also really enjoyed The Tenth Circle and The Pact.

message 34: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  Twomey (twomshan) | 11 comments DId you guys see that Tenth Circle was made into a movie!! It is premiering on Lifetime Channel on June 28 at 9pm!!!

message 35: by Meghann (new)

Meghann | 15 comments That's exciting. I'm going to have to mark that on my calendar. I can't wait to see it!

message 36: by Corina (new)

Corina (scrapcat0220) | 6 comments oh, I know... did you see the casting for that movie?? PERFECT!

message 37: by Rose Ann (new)

Rose Ann I cant wait to see it either! I just finished the book too...so it will be fun to see how the movie compares

message 38: by Kathy McC (new)

Kathy McC | 36 comments I am 2/3 of the way through Circle. It started slowly for me, but now I am so emotionally invested. Will probably finish it tomorrow and then I can have some emotional "downtime" before watching the movie. I think that JP's ability to intertwine the average life parts into the main story line is what makes her books so real that you feel as if you know the characters personally. She defiitely has a gift for characterization.

message 39: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) | 75 comments I just finished "The Pact" last night and it is now my new favorite.

message 40: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  Twomey (twomshan) | 11 comments Yes they interviewed Kelly Preston on Regis and Kelly the other day!!! I CANT WAIT!

message 41: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (ShanStores) | 11 comments That will be neat to see The Tenth Circle in movie form! It was my favorite book of hers, but I still liked it. My Sister's Keeper is my favorite one and probably always will be. I have also read Second Glance, Vanishing Acts, Plain Truth, and Nineteen Minutes. They were all really great reads. I just started The Pact, just a few pages into it and I like it so far! I can't wait to see where is goes!

message 42: by Meghann (new)

Meghann | 15 comments I didn't see who is the cast for the movie. Can someone tell me who will be in it?

message 43: by Alex (new)

Alex (bookholicxxx) | 3 comments I have read so far six books of jodi and i have to say she is my favorite writer weard of me because i was a sci-fic maniac but she got my in with my sister's keeper (the first one i read,and favorite). in second place i will put plain truth and perfec match. but also love 19'minutes and her new book change of heart. the tenth circle i finished in a plane which was weard and loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it it's going to be a movie i can't wait to see it. it's a tough choice to pick my favorite but i can say the 1 that i hate mercy i just can't get in.

message 44: by Alex (new)

Alex (bookholicxxx) | 3 comments the actors will be kelly preston would play as laura, britt robertson would play as trixie and ron eldard woul play as daniel, remember to see the movie 28/june

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 15 comments Jenny: Keeping Faith is definitely one of my favorites!

message 46: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (shashee71) | 18 comments The Pact is the first JP book that I read and I have to say my favorite... IF I have to pick one! Nineteen Minutes comes in at a very close second to me. Honestly, though they are all wonderful! I have not found one of Jodi's books that I don't absolutely love. As soon as I open the front cover of one, I can't seem to put it down until I get to the end!! I am getting ready to start Harvesting the Heart.

message 47: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I have a few favorites, if that is fair. I love The Pact, Second Glance, My Sister's Keeper and Change of Heart.

message 48: by Anna (new)

Anna | 81 comments I really liked My Sister's Keeper, but I think Nineteen Minutes has stuck with me the most. My daughter is embarking on Middle School next year and I think it brought back all the angst of my own middle school/high school years. I really disliked Tenth Circle--I didn't find one redeeming person in that book.

message 49: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbee) | 8 comments Well, I really liked The Tenth Circle because of the whole Dante's Inferno reference (I adored Dante's Divine Comedy in school); I really liked Change of Heart, though I felt Green Mile-ish, along with others who read it - but still, I was rivited. Now I'm on Salem Falls. Any thoughts?

message 50: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) "My Sister's Keeper" was my 'gateway' Picoult novel. I was totally blown away by the ending and the book as a whole. I judge books by their covers at times, and picked this one up because of the picture and title, then bought it because of the summary. Having 3 younger sisters may have something to do with it.

"Plain Truth" is my second favorite so far. The only others I have read yet are "The Pact" and "The Tenth Circle", both of which I had a hard time finishing and remembering. I just picked up "Harvesting the Heart", and will eventually work through the entire list.

« previous 1 3 4