Short Story lovers discussion

Do any of you read prose poems?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

David | 29 comments Mod
Just wondering. I have an excellent book called Great American Prose Poems, and it makes me think a lot about the line between fiction and poetry. You?

message 2: by Kathy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

Kathy (kathyfish) | 4 comments Yes, I love prose poetry! I should read the collection you mentioned. The literary journal, Cranky, publishes some prose poetry and I believe there's a lit journal actually called Prose Poetry or The Prose Poem. I write it sometimes, too, but I don't think I'm especially good at it. But I love writing that blurs that line.

message 3: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 6 comments I have the opposite opinion -- I dislike prose poems unless they're in French. There doesn't seem to be much point in English to writing a so-called prose poem. It comes out as neither fish to fowl and they make for a frustrating experience for me.

message 4: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

David | 29 comments Mod
Now, that's interesting, Laura -- I mean, I know we get the prose poem tradition from France, but why does that mean for you that they can't be written in English? I'm willing to be convinced.

message 5: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Rob McMonigal | 4 comments It depends---I read a wonderful set of prose poems that were almost essay like: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22...

And that I liked quite a bit. Other times, I feel as though it would have been better to be short fiction. I really think it's in the eye of the reader.

-Rob

message 6: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 6 comments The French language is unaccented, so there's a meter to French prose poems, and thus, they make some sort of sense schematically. There's also a reason for their being: the author is trying to overcome the strictures inherent in the French language. English is a less constricted language than French in a bunch of ways, including the accents, so I really don't see much raison d'etre (ha ha, I slay me) for an English prose poem. More than that, I don't think I've ever read a prose poem I've liked, not even by James Wright -- most of them come across to me as sort of twee or forced or both.

message 7: by Kathy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Kathy (kathyfish) | 4 comments Another good journal for prose poetry, published in Canada, is "Sentence: A Journal of Prose Poetry."

message 8: by Don (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Don (donfoolery) | 1 comments I got Great American Prose Poems a few months ago, and dug it immediately. I'd never read anything by Charles Simic before, and decided (before he was named Poet Laureate) that I'd get his Pulitzer Prize winning The World Doesn't End, which I finally did a few days ago. So far, it's been worth every penny.