Independent Question of the Day discussion

Education

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 24 comments This is just to get some closure on our educaton unit. Think back to everything you've learned, all that you've concluded. Keeping in mind your own personal definition of education. Read, ponder, reply!

He who controls education controls the future. So, what is education? How should the young be educated—what is important and what not? Who should control education: the parents, the student, the society or the state? Should a student be taught to think for himself or to adopt the beliefs of the society? Should man be educated to be free and live for his own interests; or to subjugate his desires to serve others or the state?

message 2: by Michael (last edited Nov 19, 2008 12:27AM) (new)

Michael Bouterse | 79 comments Ideally, education ought to be about the individual and not the state since the state ought only exist for the benefit of individuals. The only reason education ought benefit the state is thus to have a beneficial end result for the individual. For instance, the state--or perhaps I ought to replace "state" with "society"--educates us into twinkling young doctors, bankers, teachers, and farmers all so that man can experience the benefits of health, wealth, knowledge, and nourishment, not just for the sheer sake of the state having an armada of these professionals scurrying around in its little enfolds for its own sake.

In a very philosophical sense, I think the goal of education as abstracted from the practical dictates of the state ought specifically be the enabling of the individual to achieve one's purpose. By purpose, I mean that vocation or relationship for which one is meant and which yields fulfillment. (I think I have mine!) Obviously, then, the role of education is to nurture us and guide us toward that lofty goal, making us aware of what that purpose is and then maturing us further and further toward it.

Even if you disagree with education as the path to purpose, in any event I think education is always the means and never the end. Which is fortunate because I certainly know this biology homework is not the meaning of my existence.

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele A delightful question. I believe (and this seems silly since I'm part of the public education system) education should serve to help others understand the beliefs of society, but to concurrently empower people to think for themselves. Education should not determine the way to think, but teach how to think, justify, quantify, qualify, etc. Critical thinking and justification are the most powerful tools we can give to others. Scary, but true.