The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Do you like Ramen Noodles?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments I'm curious. Seriously!
I have eaten Ramen noodles every night for dinner this week. I find them extremely comforting and tasty. I think I love them also for the emotional reasons...reminds me of my poor, hungover days in college.

Admit it. You love them. And if you don't, what strange food DO you like?

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I do like Ramen noodles, but my favorite strange food is mac and cheese with tomatoes! It is so delicious.

message 3: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments That sounds good!

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments I do love Ramen!

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments I love ramen but its soooooo bad for you!!!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes I do. I put tons of extra garlic salt. Yummy!

Ramen is like the Supernoodles in England.

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1826 comments I used to love ramen (college staple)...don't eat it that much anymore though.

I do love it in this recipe though...

Ingredients

* 2 bags (3-ounce) Ramen Noodle Soup in Oriental (other flavors will work, too)
* 3/4 stick butter
* 1/4 cup slivered almonds
* 2 bags (12-ounce) bags broccoli cole slaw (in the bagged salad section of the grocery store)
* Chopped green onions, for garnish

Dressing Mix:

* 3/4 cup canola oil
* 1/4 cup brown or white sugar
* 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
* 1 ramen noodle seasoning packet

Directions

Put the ramen noodles in a bag and crush them with a rolling pin while melting butter in a large skillet over low/medium heat. Add the crushed noodles and slivered almonds to the skillet and saute, stirring occasionally (keep temperature at low/medium heat). Meanwhile, whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Place the shredded broccoli into bowl and toss with the noodles, almonds, and sunflower seeds. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Garnish with chopped green onions.

Petra in 4 days may have a bf fingers crossed (petra-x) I love ramen. I like it dry and crunchy, I like it in marmite soup, with spaghetti sauce and meatballs but especially with a little olive oil, garlic, freshly shaved parmesan and black pepper. Oh heaven.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I also subsisted primarily on Ramen in college. I used to throw in a boiled egg to shake things up.

Ramen noodles are also the reason I don't understand how anyone can go hungry. You can buy 10 for a dollar sometimes.

message 10: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments I am going to make that recipe!!! That looks yuuummmmY!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Ramen noodles were amazing I still have boxes of them left in my pantry. I sometimes ate them dry like chips but that sometimes was not as yummy as warm noodles. I guess it makes finding food for when I'm in the middle of working on some big project for school or practicing for piano lessons at home I can have noodles that take only 2 mintues to cook. I may have some ramen noodles tonight for I'm now craving them.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Cynthia, my mom makes that same Ramen coleslaw...it is so good!

message 13: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I LOVE ramen!!! it's the ulitmate comfort food for me. My mom used to make it when I was little as a "special" treat...she called it Curley Noodle Soup.

Like Angela I have a strange one involving Mac & Cheese. Mac & Cheese, a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tuna. I love this stuff!!

message 14: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1826 comments I always used to make the noodles - drain the liquid and then just add the flavor packet to the noodles - I never ate it like soup.

message 15: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I do that too sometimes Cynthia.

message 16: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I lived on Ramen when I first lived on my own. I drain out the liquid and melt strips of cheese in the noodles. So good.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I do love Ramen. We do all kinds of things to it change it up a bit. Tuna, mixed vegetables, making it in miso soup paste. One time I think we even made it with chorizo. It's quick and simple, good for when you are in a hurry or feeling a little lazy. We do all the same stuff with mac and cheese too.

message 18: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 314 comments Thanks Carrie! I was wondering what to do for dinner tonight...............looks like Ramen for me.

I have a cookbook called 101 things to do with Ramen noodles, which has a really good recipe for pasta and egg salad. I'll go find it and post here.

Petra in 4 days may have a bf fingers crossed (petra-x) Miso and ramen is wonderful, esp. with some really hot pepper sauce and tiny fried cubes of tofu.

message 20: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments I'll admit it- I'm a recovering Ramen addict. That and mac and cheese were two staples of my college career. The ability to cook them easily on a hot plate was very key. It took me a long time to get over being completely burnt out on them though. I have only recently begun eating either of them again.

Abigail, I'm intrigued by this talk of miso paste. That sounds like it could impart some good flavor to Ramen.

I always used to spice it up with some Sriracha and then drop an egg and some green onions in.

Petra in 4 days may have a bf fingers crossed (petra-x) What's Sriracha? Sounds very hari krishna!

message 22: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 163 comments I used to eat Ramen noodles all the time...and my mom also makes a great slaw like that.

My sisters always thought it was gross but I would make the soup and then put a poached egg w/ it...so good

message 23: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments Here you go, Petra:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha

It's very tasty. I used to put it on everything.

message 24: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 314 comments Wow! What intriguing ideas from everybody!

Here's the Ramen Noodle Pasta Salad recipe. When in doubt, double the recipe (says it serves 4, but that's pushing it!)

2 packages Ramen noodles (only need 1 seasoning packet)
1 C mayo
2T mustard
1T honey
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 C cheddar cheese (I prefer the Kraft crumbles, but you can use shredded)
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped

Cook noodles in water according to directions and drain. Mix mayo, mustard, and honey with 1 seasoning packet. Add noodles, celery, cheese and eggs. Toss gently to coat.

For more recipes, see 101 Things to Do with Ramen Noodles by Toni Patrick, keeping in mind these will not make it on any nutritionist's healthy eats list!!

message 25: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (malfoyfangirl) | 22 comments Yummy. I love ramen. I usually drop an egg in to cook with it. At least it adds a bit of protein.

Sometimes I will add some chopped zucchini or sliced mushrooms, makes a nice soup.

message 26: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Ugh, am I the only one that doesn't like thin noodles? =(

message 27: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments Oh we don't discriminate- I like thick noodles too.

message 28: by Kiwi (new)

Kiwi | 47 comments I like sushi =D. Asian style.

message 29: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments JULIANNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love that book! GOtta have it!

message 30: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments KIWI, don't say SUSHI! It's my absolute FAVE!! I'm too broke to eat it this month!

message 31: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I love sushi too. But for some reason I have an aversion to noodles, particularly thin noodles. Hence, my distaste for ramen and lo mein (sp?). Spaghetti I will eat, but it has to have a lot of sauce and meatballs.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments OOH the rooster sauce!! Haha, I love that stuff. We always called it pepper paste, because the bottles we found at the Asian market had NO English on them. I love that stuff. A scoop of that on anything makes it delicious. Especially scrambled eggs, and even pancakes. MM hot pepper pancakes...*drool

It's weird, I never liked thin noodles as a kid. And when I made my ramen, I used extra water and cooked it over-long so it was all fluffy. Ever had udon? So yummy. Although now I prefer soba because of the taste. I got over my thin-noodle thing.

I finally got a round to trying sardines this year. The taste is good and the texture is not bad, but I couldn't get over how salty they were. Miso is kind of salty too, but sardines are a little too much for me. I just can't stand that much salt, I never salt my food at all.

And don't even get me started on sushi...mmm tamago...

Petra in 4 days may have a bf fingers crossed (petra-x) Thanks Logan. I did know what sriracha was after all. I just didn't know it was called that.

Petra in 4 days may have a bf fingers crossed (petra-x) I used to like sardines but I don't know what but something happened and I just can't stand the crunch of their little backbones any more.