Wideacre  (The Wideacre Trilogy, #1) Wideacre discussion

Rubbish!

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Katie this book is rubbish!

Gennie I liked it.

Janie waste of paper

Darla I really liked this book! I read it in my teens and I must say that it was the book that made me want to start reading as a hobby! :)

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara I'll confess that it's pretty over the top sometimes, but I thought it was pretty engrossing. The sequels weren't bad, either.

Kramersmama It was very much over the top and it's one of those rare books where I HAD to stop reading...

Shannon I also had a really hard time reading this one. I was hoping for Scarlet O'Hara and got Flowers in the Attic. I quit reading it and sent it to a friend. I can't wait to hear her opinion.

Adrienne hated this book!!! i couldn't even finish it...i jsut didn't like the main character... very dissapointed!

Madeline This was one of the worst books that I have ever read and it's a shame because I normally love the author.

Martha This was an awful book. I stopped reading, and just skimmed it so that it could be over more quickly. It's a bodice ripper, but not even a good one at that. Take a pass folks!

Marsha I did not like this book. I kept wondering if I was really reading what I was reading - I like the earlier reference to Flowers in the Attic. Don't waste your time.

MIRANDA I highly disagree with the people calling this book rubbish. IMO, the same people calling Wideacre rubbish are probably the same people who think Twilight is a masterpiece. Gregory does an amazing job with this book, I couldn't put it down. I'm on the second book of the trilogy now and it's great too. I agree you do have to "toughen up your stomach" for the whole incest story-line. However, it isn't any different than the many Greek tragedies and stories in the Bible that contain incest. So, don't close you're mind b/c of the taboo topic, it's a great book. IMO, The Other Boleyn Girl pales in comparison to this novel.

Martha No, I certainly don't think 'Twilight' is a masterpiece. Far from it, in fact. It's okay for people to have differing opinions, and for me the problem wasn't the incest story line. It was the lousy writing. Rarely have I read such overblown nonsense. Character development was pretty weak, the writer never really bothered to develop them, to make them complicated or interesting. They were left cartoonish. This was my problem with the book, not the storyline itself.

MIRANDA Martha wrote: "No, I certainly don't think 'Twilight' is a masterpiece. Far from it, in fact. It's okay for people to have differing opinions, and for me the problem wasn't the incest story line. It was the lousy..."

Alright, like you said it's a discussion. However, I completely disagree with you. I find the writing excellent and I think she does a wonderful job with character development. I read all genres and I have a good grasp of "how to write." I think Gregory is a great writer. Anyway, at least we're on the same page about Twilight,lol.

message 15: by Susan (new) - rated it 1 star

Susan I know this is an old conversation, but I just had to add something. I am struggling with this book. I love historical fiction and am a fan of The Other Boleyn Girl and The Boleyn Inheritance. In those novels the author brought the story and the time period to life for me. I was able to relate to the characters and understand their choices within the context of their era. I am frustrated by this novel because the author isn't delivering the same engaging read for me. I think it is the character that keeps me at bay. Her personality isn't annoying enough to hate and isn't interesting enough to like. So I am just not that into her story.

MIRANDA Susan wrote: "I know this is an old conversation, but I just had to add something. I am struggling with this book. I love historical fiction and am a fan of The Other Boleyn Girl and The Boleyn Inheritance. In..."

That's funny, I'm just the opposite of you. I read Wideacre first and had a hard time reading The other Boleyn Girl. I don't know how far you are into the book, but get ready to really hate Beatrice. She is a completely despicable character, I don't think the author meant for us to like her. However, I really loved the book. I think it just depends on if you can deal with an unlikeable main character. I can understand why the distracts some people from the rest of the novel. My favorite character of that whole trilogy is Ralph. I love his character and unfortunately, we don't get enough of him. Anyway, I hope you can continue on with the story and maybe it will pick up for you. You might even like the second book better, the main character is alot more likable. Happy reading=D

message 17: by N.C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

N.C. Madigan I loved this book and all the other books in the series. I also have read six of her other books, and have others I have yet to read. I love her writing style. I love her take on history, which as we all know, can't have a true interpretation. Besides, she's never come out and said "THIS BOOK IS 100% TRUE!" That's why she's a writer. She has license to change things as she sees fit in order to write a good story.

I do agree that not everyone would like Wideacre though, because the content is pretty odd, but I loved the main character's craziness. But if you don't like, don't read it and go find something "safe" to read.

message 18: by Lori (new) - rated it 1 star

Lori Baldi I've never been a fan. I read Wideacre many years ago. Did NOT like it but I did finish it. So it kept my interest long enough to hook me into completing. I tried the author again with The Other Boleyn Girl. Gregory had gained quite a fan base and the book was a huge hit. I thought maybe I had missed something or there had been improvement. I could not finish it and will not try her again. Not my cup of tea. Since it was so many years ago it's hard to put a finger on exactly what the sticking point was for me. I didn't like the plot of Wideacre & found the writing annoyingly juvenile. And, no, I'm NOT a fan of the vampire novels!

Lady Domino I read Wideacre and the 2 sequels many years ago. But recently I picked up a copy from my local library, read 10 pages and then returned it to the library - couldn't get on with it. Just shows how our tastes change.

Rachel Wideacre was a little over the top for me, and I think the other books in the series are much better, especially the last one (Meridon). The protagonist is much more believable in Meridon. HOWEVER, in order to have a full understanding of Meridon, you really should read Wideacre.

Karen I read all three and while I did rather enjoy them, I certainly wouldn't call them great literature. Not quite total rubbish, but close.

Patsy Collins It's not my favourite of hers, but I did quite enjoy it.

Lizzie Bissett Not rubbish atall! Different from any other period book I've read - racey, exciting and a good story!

message 25: by Linda (new) - rated it 1 star

Linda Coulombe KT wrote: "this book is rubbish!"

I couldn't agree with you more!! I liked the Other Boleyn Girl but have found the rest of her books to be either trashy (this one especially) or not well written.

Natalie Gibson I loved this book. I understood the main characters love/need for the family land. She did what she had to keep it. I believed each and every character would choose exactly as they did on every page. Each one acted 'in character'. I thought it was genius.
I liked the Other Boleyn Girl too. This series was second only to that one. That is just an opinion. My opinion.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I wouldnt call it rubbish. It has uncomfortable subject matter. I liked it and hope to get the other books to this series. It certainly isnt something you read every day.

Ashley I enjoyed it. It's a character that you love to hate and the other books in the series are quite good as well. Meridon is probably one of my faves.

message 29: by Nicky (new) - rated it 1 star

Nicky Hmm.. terrible! I agree with Janie. Waste of paper! Seriously what a disgusting book!

message 30: by Jade (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jade no matter how horrible beatrice is and what methods shd uses to complete her plan i have to admire her for her bravery and courage in her determination to stand up for herself and the future women in her family.
i found her character easy to relate to and rooted for her throughout the entire book, in fact i was so into her character that i couldnt read the book in its entirety more than once as i couldnt stand reliving her fall from power. i felt the two characters from the sequel (juliet and meridon i think) were nowhere near as interesting as they didnt have as much passion as beatrice had for her land, and neither was as strong as her.
all in all, i found it a very good book, cant really see how it can be thought otherwise...

message 31: by Emily (last edited Jul 01, 2012 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Emily I didn't like this one either! I almost NEVER give up on a book before I finish it, but I disliked the main character so much in this book that I couldn't bear to hear her story anymore. The entire story evolves from one horrible decision that she makes, which is not a decision that any girl would make who supposedly loves and idolizes her father as much as she does. I felt that the whole plot stood on a weak premise, and I had no sympathy for her. Glad to hear I'm not alone in this opinion.
I was really disappointed by it, since I loved The Other Boleyn Girl and The White Queen.

Kayleigh Slater I love this book so much and I can't wait to read others by this author. The main character made me so frustrated because of the terrible things she did, yet she was easily relate able because of her drive to get what she wanted.

Michele Rachel wrote: "Wideacre was a little over the top for me, and I think the other books in the series are much better, especially the last one (Meridon). The protagonist is much more believable in Meridon. HOWEVER,..."

I picked up Meridon at my local library, such a good read, I didn't realize until I was half way through the book that it was the third of a trilogy. I had to reluctantly put it down and find Wideacre and The Favored Child. I absolutely love Wideacre and couldn't wait to see what horrible thing Beatrice would do next all for the "love of the land". I'm almost finished with The Favored Child and can't wait to find out how it all pans out in Meridon.

Gillian i have just finished the last book of the wideacre series and enjoyed reading it a lot although i must admit it took me a while to get started into it as it just seem to start in a odd place yes she gave her child up to gypsies but a small part before that was missing the lead up to it i feel should have been included for me it would have set the pace of the story
her mothers ending and her daughters beginning was lacking too just from her mid teen years were included is it just me or am i expecting a fuller story line ? other than that a great story line

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I also just finished the last book. I liked it best. @ Gillian yes I would have liked a little more mentioned about her childhood than the bits that alluded to it I feel she gave enough hints to where you could use your imagination. But it wasnt quite as maybe dark as the others.

Sarah I liked the first one because I like a villian as the main character. Nothing ruins a book for me quicker than a "perfect" lead. Barf. I got about halfway through the second book and had to quit though. Not only was I really sick of reading long winded descriptions about Wideacre (enough already!) but I felt like I was re-reading the first book with different characters.

message 37: by Sonia (new) - rated it 1 star

Sonia I read this series out of order, with this (the true first) book as the last one I read. After falling in love with the subsequent characters and storylines, I was completely disgusted by this female lead. All the incest, murder, and complete lack of any idea of normal relationships made me sad to the point where I wished I had never read it in the first place. Eww was my main reaction. It made me feel creepy around family members of my own.

I love so many of Philippa Gregory's other books, and I am so happy she worked out her other storylines in her other books that she didn't create another character quite as gross. Many awful personalities, but no one quite like her.

Tarra You aren't supposed to like the main character. You aren't supposed to be sad when people in the books die. It is not about liking the character but being taken for a ride through their dark obsessions. I just finished the second book and even though I got frustrated with the MC and hoped she would die, I loved how it ended. Things get so screwy and crazy. I love that she held no bar and went over the top or out of nowhere.

Meghan Beverly I couldn't get through it. It dragged so bad for me in the beginning I couldn't slog through to the "over the top" parts.

Michelle Jordan I really liked the entire trilogy. It was OTT but, like all of Gregory's books, she provided an insight into how women were viewed in a man's world at this time. Beatrice became a monster but it was the patriarchal society in which she lived that created that monster.

Anita Anderson Weird, strange, dark, crazy, sick, passionate.... I had to finish it regardless.

Monique Vala Körner olafsson A women got to do what a women got to do ,to get power back in that time,but to what price....it was good,weird,sick, but still somehow,i dont really know what to say about it...