What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED!: chapter children's or YA, blizzard, NYC, time travel, elevator [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cherie (new)

Cherie I read this book when I was younger. It was categorized as a Children's Chapter book at my library, but could also probably have been a YA book.

So all I remember -- this family rents (or it might be a family house) an old fancy house or huge apt in New York. There's two brothers -- and I believe the story is from the middle brother's POV -- and an older sister who is upset to go on this vacation and she brings all her romance novels. Anyway, they hear ghosts, and it turns out, these people in house died in the old elevator that's like a cage b/c they froze when the electricity went out during a snowstorm. Somehow, when the sister dresses up in these old dresses, she can go back in time to these dances. She falls in love with someone when she's time traveling (and throws away all her romance novels). Her brothers are trying to go back in time to prevent these people from dying in the elevator.

It's really patchy, but that's all I can remember. Anyone have any advice?

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily (emmy1066) | 49 comments Was it "Voices after Midnight" by Richard Peck?

message 3: by Cherie (new)

Cherie YES!!!!! You are the best librarian ever! Thank you!

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments I don't mind editing the title and subject heading, but original posters: please do so when you've found your book(s) and feel free to ask for instructions if needed. Thanks!