The Trench discussion

Silencing The Opposition

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Not Bill (last edited Nov 18, 2008 10:02AM) (new)

Not Bill | 467 comments As a blogger, the fight over the Fairness Doctrine is a big concern. As predicted - leftists in the congress and the senate overreached and immediately called for its implementation upon Obama being declared the victor in this year's election. Obama most likely saw this coming too, and correctly guessed the issue would be too divisive. Instead, he proposes a stealthier, more insidious campaign called "Localism"

Here's a snippet from the article:
"On September 20, 2007, Obama submitted a pro-localism written statement to an FCC hearing held at the Chicago headquarters of Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr.'s Operation Push.

Furthermore, the Obama transition team knows all about the potential of localism as a means of silencing conservative dissent. The head of the Obama transition team is John Podesta, President and CEO of the Center for American Progress.

In 2007, the Center for American Progress issued a report, The Structural Imbalance of Political Talk Radio. This report complained that there was too much conservative talk on the radio because of "the absence of localism in American radio markets" and urged the FCC to "[e:]nsure greater local accountability over radio licensing."

Full article is here - read it:

http://www.americanthinker.com/printp...

Coming to a radio station near you. Count on it.

message 2: by Varmint (new)

Varmint | 208 comments i've read parts, where he wants to have local community organizer types appointed to the boards of radio stations, to monitor that the licenses are being used "fairly".

this will amount to having a political "commissar" officer in charge.

message 3: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 467 comments That's a feature, not a bug. In fact, it's at the very heart of localism. I've already brought the subject up with a colleague who as a Russian immigre was raisesd under the Soviet Union. He was clear that this was very much the way the Soviet state operated. He was quite shocked to hear that it is going to pushed here in the US.

Servius  Heiner  | 360 comments Mod
Comrades, I believe you are over reaching when you imply such things, come citizens we have work to do!

;)

message 5: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 467 comments Oh yeah? Well i'll see yer comrade, and raise it 2 commissars.

We shall see. If localism is attempted, most likely it would only be viable in the large cities, many of which are controlled by entrenched liberal govts. Such markets are big revenue sources. Controlling these markets, and the radio stations which serve them would be key. However, the genie got out of the bottle early on this one. but I still expect them to try it out in certain cities.