I "heart" Morelli discussion

Stephanie Plum books > Plum Spooky

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie Looks like Plum Spooky will be out Jan 6th. Very exciting!

http://www.evanovich.com/

message 2: by Angie (new)

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie The First Full Length Stephanie Plum Between-the-Numbers Novel from #1 Bestselling Author Janet Evanovich.
Turn on all the lights and check under your bed. Things are about to get spooky in Trenton, New Jersey. According to legend, the Jersey Devil prowls the Pine Barrens and soars above the treetops in the dark of night. As eerie as this might seem, there are things in the Barrens that are even more frightening and dangerous. And there are monkeys. Lots of monkeys. Wulf Grimoire is a world wanderer and an opportunist who can kill without remorse and disappear like smoke. He’s chosen Martin Munch, boy genius, as his new business partner, and he’s chosen the Barrens as his new playground. Munch received his doctorate degree in quantum physics when he was twenty-two. He’s now twenty-four, and while his brain is large, his body hasn’t made it out of the boys’ department at Macy’s. Anyone who says good things come in small packages hasn’t met Munch. Wulf Grimoire is looking for world domination. Martin Munch would be happy if he could just get a woman naked and tied to a tree. Bounty hunter Stephanie Plum has Munch on her most-wanted list for failure to appear in court. Plum is the all-American girl stuck in an uncomfortable job, succeeding on luck and tenacity. Usually she gets her man. This time she gets a monkey. She also gets a big guy named Diesel. Diesel pops in and out of Plum’s life like birthday cake – delicious to look at and taste, not especially healthy as a steady diet, gone by the end of the week if not sooner. He’s an über bounty hunter with special skills when it comes to tracking men and pleasing women. He’s after Grimoire, and now he’s also after Munch. And if truth were told, he wouldn’t mind setting Stephanie Plum in his crosshairs. Diesel and Plum hunt down Munch and Grimoire, following them into the Barrens, surviving cranberry bogs, the Jersey Devil, a hair-raising experience, sand in their underwear, and, of course . . . monkeys.

message 4: by MJ, Mrs. Joseph Morelli (new)

MJ | 541 comments Mod
Thanks Angie

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie There is another excerpt on her website from this book! Check it out!

message 6: by Angie (new)

Angie Anyone picking this up this week?

message 7: by MJ, Mrs. Joseph Morelli (new)

MJ | 541 comments Mod
A friend of mine preordered for my as a Christmas gift so I am waiting for it to arrive. I can hardly wait

message 8: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I downloaded the audio book yesterday and have listened to over half of it already. It is a very good between the numbers book.

Lots of monkey business going on....

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie Don't forget you can get discounts at B&N. And if you buy it from there and like it you may want to write some reviews. Most reviews at B&n.com are bad. People say that it is a rip off for the price of the book vs the length of the book. I thought I would copy a review and post it here, it is from anonymous so I can't give the person credit:

January 09, 2009: I could have overlooked the monkeys and the fart jokes, if there had been fewer of them. ('Monkey' and 'fart' appear more than any other noun in the book.)

I could have dealt with the lack of Ranger (he has only a few scenes), since this is a between-the-numbers novel. Even when Evanovich started copying Ranger scenes right out of books 11 and 12 and giving them to Diesel, I was tolerant.

But I will no longer tolerate her obsession with glorifying violence towards women.

In the past, I have been more lenient with Evanovich, because not everyone has the same sense of humor. But making light of domestic abuse isn't funny. Angie Morelli taking back her cheating, abusive husband Anthony because she has five kids to feed isn't funny. Stephanie asking Angie to take him back because Joe is sick of dealing with him isn't funny, either.

And implying that this is the way it should be, because "good wives" put up with that crap, cuts to the bone.

If you're a new reader of the series, take some advice and stop at 12. Stop before the characters start farting and belching, before a video-game-playing monkey becomes the only thing you can say about the plot, and before Stephanie Plum becomes someone you no longer like, let alone respect.

It's a shame it's come to this, but what's done is done.

message 10: by MJ, Mrs. Joseph Morelli (new)

MJ | 541 comments Mod
Okay so I read the book in one day and I laughed and laughed. It is the best between the #s book so far.

message 11: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tammymerlot) | 53 comments Wow! That's a pretty harsh review. I'm about half-way through the book and I'm certainly not picking up on the implications that the anonymous reviewer refers too. (Keep in mind I'm a strong advocate on domestic violence issues too!)

I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read the book, but at one point in the book Stephanie does make a funny crack about Anthony beating his wife and kids with a gravy ladle. But it is meant only to be a joke!

So far, so good IMO.

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen SPOILERS!
I didn't like this book. I don't know, it fell flat to me. I didn't expect my man, Ranger, to be a main character in a holiday book. But I also didn't expect a monkey to be a main character, either. It reminded me of Jar Jar Binks, who I didn't like, either. Usually her books are funny without having to introduce such a ridiculous character that forces humor on us.
I am still looking forward to book #15. I hope it is better than #14 and Plum Spooky.

message 13: by Mahlet (new)

Mahlet (ethiopiansiren) | 15 comments haven't read it yet, which is rare for me. I'm usually AT THE STORE when Plum books come out. But I was so upset with Fearless Fourteen's characterization of my beloved Ranger that I went on strike...eerrr, well, at least for a few more weeks. I'm on the library's waitlist ;)

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie I know how you feel about waiting on the library list. I get all my books from the library and so I am always on the list for this or that!

message 15: by Mahlet (new)

Mahlet (ethiopiansiren) | 15 comments Now, I love my library waitlist, but I still won't do it for the actual full-length Plum books that feature Morelli & Ranger - I need to add the hardcovers to my collection! :) I've still got my fingers crossed that Evanovich will make it up to BABEcakes like myself in #15....

message 16: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessahaunani) | 6 comments i loved this one! it was definately a little more "out there" than some of the other between-the-numbers. but the book is good! and it made me laugh which is the purpose of evanovich's work. i already pre-ordered fifteen i cant wait!....

message 17: by Angie (last edited Jul 23, 2009 07:47PM) (new)

Angie I don''t know what to think of these in between the number books. This one had a lot of monkey in it. ALOT. Plus what the hell? It's like the in between novels are like fantasy books. When I heard the title Plum Spooky I thought for sure this was going to take place during Halloween and I was so excited. But there was really no holiday associated with this book. BOO! A halloween Plum house might be crazy. I was glad Ranger was more involved in this book.

message 18: by Cynthiaj (new)

Cynthiaj | 27 comments What a great idea! I would definitely be waiting in line for a between the numbers set at Halloween. Just think how Diesel might "dress up"!

message 19: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) (giggling helplessly) Wow Cyn, the possibilities are ENDLESS for who/what Diesel would dress up as. Frankenstein's monster? Vin Diesel? I know--he'll dress up as the Blue Beast. roflol

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy | 26 comments Mod
I know all you paperback lovers are excited! Plum spooky is available in paperback today.

message 21: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) I already got it in hb. All my "between the numbers" are in hb. I guess I'm just too impatient to wait for them to come out in pb. :o)