Movies We've Just Watched discussion

December: Director and Film > Nominations for December Movies

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments Please check out December threads and make your nominations for December direcors. I will put the poll up on Friday.

So far,
Ozu
Bergman
Luis Bunuel
Jan Campion
Akira Kurosawa
David Lynch
Speilberg
Francis Coppola
David Lean
Fuller

I will do the netflix check on availabilities and post that too.

Remember nominations close Friday,
Poll will close on Wednesday.

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5438 comments Please. I beg of you all. Not Sam Fuller.

message 3: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments Tom, why don't you like Sam Fuller?

message 4: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments Tom, have you seen WHITE DOG? I just read a review in the latest Film Comment and it seems interesting...and as subtle as a sledgehammer.

message 5: by Tom (last edited Nov 18, 2008 07:34AM) (new)

Tom | 5438 comments I sat through the excruciating SHOCK CORRIDOR a few years back, and the idea of any more Fuller gives me the howling fantods. I might subject myself to the hfs to see WHITE DOG, which does sound interesting, but so many movies sound so interesting, and then turn out to be, well, not.

message 6: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments Yes, Like NAKED KISS. It was on my radar for years: who can pass up a story about a prostitute marrying a child molester? Fuller was able to make this intriguing premise boring with shoddy editing and awkward dialogue. I wrote a review and was highly disappointed. But I do like the remastered BIG RED ONE.

message 7: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10722 comments but what about steel helmet, the baron of arizona, or the man who shot jessie james? they all came out recently in that nice eclipse box (which i picked up as soon as i could)...good stuff, IMO.

(i'm talking about fuller)

message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5438 comments Maybe they are good stuff, maybe I should check them out. Maybe. I don't know, that SHOCK CORRIDOR thing really left a bad taste in my mouth.

message 9: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments STEEL HELMET was good but I haven't seen the other films.

message 10: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10722 comments they are VERY different films. but i'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just giving fuller some cred, which i think he deserves.

message 11: by Ed (last edited Nov 18, 2008 08:17PM) (new)

Ed | 219 comments Mod
hmmm, I vote for Capra and some holiday movies...the Bishop's Wife...Christmas Carol--which one is best (I like the 1950's version but there are many contenders).

message 12: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5438 comments Why not just go ahead and do IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE?

message 13: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments I've seen White Dog, it's excellent. That was years ago, though...

message 14: by Becca (new)

Becca (becca2) | 86 comments I have to nominate the movie that brought my husband and I together: The Shop Around The Corner with Jimmy Stewart and Maragaret Sullavan. It beats It's A Wonderful Life in my book any day.

If you are a kind person, you will not mention any of the remakes of this movie to me. ;-)

message 15: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (grammyellen) | 4 comments oh, i love the shop around the corner. we watched it when it was on tcm. then they had in the good old summertime after it. i enjoy that version too.