Ratebeer Readers discussion

First bottle of this season's Exped Stout

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dodd (new)

Dodd | 127 comments Not especially hot.

Very nice coffee/chocolate bitterness.

Last Friday I had a bottle of Old Raspy with a roasted duck dinner followed by splitting a second bottle with my chocolate desert at a favorite neighborhood restaurant.

My enthusiasm for the pairings led me to take four bottles of Expedition 05-06 season to a dinner party Saturday where I suffered the disappointment of four friends who really should be able to like this stuff. Two are serious wine drinkers and all are adventurous eaters.

Damn, it's hard to evangelize for good beer sometimes. I hate being the Jehova's Witness getting the door slammed in his face.

message 2: by Muzzlehatch (new)

Muzzlehatch | 168 comments It's sad. Preconceived notions are very powerful in most people. I suspect they're powerful in nearly everybody, regarding some things: it's hard for me to imagine myself ever believing seriously in God for example, getting to really like tequile/gin/vodka, or becoming a devotee of cop shows. Then again, I'm not completely unwilling to explore any of those things at least a little bit (well, except for the God thing maybe).

message 3: by William (new)

William (acknud) I have given up on trying to turn people on to good beer. It is useless in most cases.

Barry, you need to give premium liquors a try. They are way different that high production varieties.

Cabo Wabo Tequila
Grey Goose Vodka
Tanqueray Sapphire Gin

message 4: by Muzzlehatch (new)

Muzzlehatch | 168 comments Like I said, I'm not unwilling -- but $$ are very limited now, and I've found that I'm really liking trying new bourbons - and even the cheapest bourbons are usually worth drinking. There are probably 50 bourbons I can get for under $25 a bottle that I haven't had, and some are going to be fantastic. Doubt the same is true for most other liquors...

Someday when I'm a famous novelist...

message 5: by Claude S (new)

Claude S | 200 comments yeah it's hard to get people to like stuff.

especially good old boy types that love their bud.

message 6: by William (new)

William (acknud) I went to Deer camp the other night and got laughed at for drinking PBR.

message 7: by Probiere (new)

Probiere | 5 comments Really? I have gotten most of my friends at least marginally into it by now, at least to the point where they will pick up something decent for themselves even if they don't actively seek new brews. And a couple of those hated beer to begin with.

message 8: by Dodd (new)

Dodd | 127 comments Actually I have turned a number of people on to beers like Two Hearted and Surly Furious.

Problem is that I have tended to most favor Imp Stouts and sours and those are very hard beers for most to warm up to.

I guess that I'm a still disappointed that I blew some aged beer on a crowd that didn't like it.

Oh well, they are all good friends and may still come around......