chicago readers discussion

Time Traveler's Wife SPOILER Question

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

Joseph | 3 comments Not bothered at all; I always saw Gomez as being a little in love with Clare and Clare was lonely for the first time since she was 12. Seemed to be perfectly natural for their characters at that point in the narrative.

message 2: by Kristy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:37PM) (new)

Kristy MORE SPOILING, DON'T READ UNLESS YOU'RE DONE WITH THE BOOK!

I'm of two minds about it. Prefacing my comment by saying that I am not a superfan of the book (didn't hate it, but didn't love it either), I saw how Claire's grief would express itself that way, particularly because of how central sex was in Henry and Claire's relationship. That said, I also thought it was kind of obvious. In my head as soon as we meet Gomez in the book, I was like "Wait for it..." I totally knew they'd have sex or SOMETHING at some point.

You're absolutely not the only person who feels the way you do, though! Lots of my friends love this book but have a problem with the brief, furtive hook-up of Claire and Gomez.

message 3: by Clare (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Clare | 9 comments Yeah, it bugged me but the older I get the more I realize it's probably one of the more realistic things any characters in this book do.
Sexuality is one of those things that can take control whenever we let it, and as sad as it is that people cheat on the loves of their lives, it happens because people let a moment override their knowledge of what's right.

Humans are dumber than some animals when it comes to sex.

message 4: by Keith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Keith Betton | 3 comments Just finished myself and read some of the comment concerning the issue. It was expected that Gomez would make a move on her and Clare was in grief. I didn't think it was out of place.