Herbal Medicine discussion

Favorite herbal medicine books or questions?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jolene (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

Jolene | 1 comments Mod
Anyone have a favorite herbal medicine book that they would like to share? Or questions about herbal therapies that they want to learn more about? Feel free to share your thoughts!

message 2: by Jacksta (new)

Jacksta | 2 comments Currently really loving David Winston's book on Adaptogens... and forever going back to, "The Big Book" of course, that being David Hoffmann's 'Medical Herbalism'(may also be used to prop small children up to dining table) (smile)

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1 comments I'm not energetically pursuing herbalism at this instant, but definitely wanted to lurk about a bit as it's amazing when tidbits of info come in handy. *grin* In the spirit of 'Early Uses.." I enjoy thumbing through and referencing "Leaves: In Myth, Magic & Medicine" by Alice Thoms Vitale.

message 4: by Lane (new)

Lane (lane_zajac) | 1 comments I like Michael Moore's books!

message 5: by Letha (new)

Letha Hadady | 1 comments My book Asian Health Secrets is considered a classic in Asian Herbal medicine. Random is bringing it out as kindle. It contains simple diagnosis -- a must for using herbs. Without diagnosis, we are victim to the latest herbal fad.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda Ash | 16 comments I like Making Plant Medicine by Richo Cech.

message 7: by Rebekah (last edited Mar 03, 2011 09:54AM) (new)

Rebekah (unhappybirthday) | 1 comments These are pretty basic, but have been wonderful references for me:

A Modern Herbal vol. 1 & 2 by Margaret Grieve

Herbs, Natural Healing and Nutrition by Jill Rosemary Davies

Today's Herbal Health for Children by Louise Tenney

Mother Food by Hilary Jacobson

message 8: by Steph (new)

Steph paquette (steffienol) | 1 comments I just go to the library and grab what even book is big and says herbs over a 100 what they do i guess i should read the titles more and authors

message 9: by Sarika (new)

Sarika (ochahime) | 1 comments Linda wrote: "I like Making Plant Medicine by Richo Cech."

It is a great book. I pull it out all the time. Small enough to flip through, but detailed enough to give me the information I need on some of the best and well known herbs.

Mrs. Grieve's books are great for more indepth reading, but for the most part they're sitting on my book shelf for when I'm in serious study mood.

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) The Herbal Medicine Maker's Handbook A Home Manual by James Green is the one I own. I haven't seen any of the other books so I don't know how they compare.

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda Ash | 16 comments @Judy - I'll have to check that one out. I don't think I've seen it before.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Judy wrote: "The Herbal Medicine Maker's Handbook A Home Manual by James Green is the one I own. I haven't seen any of the other books so I don't know how they compare."

I own quite a few herbal books and this one by James Green is definitely one of my favorites!

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda Ash | 16 comments @Judy & Anna - I checked the book out of the library and made my first hydrosol with lavender from my garden using the inverted lid over a pot with ice on it method - thanks for the suggestion!

message 14: by Steven (new)

Steven Horne (stevenhorne) | 5 comments Lane wrote: "I like Michael Moore's books!"

I agree, Michael Moore is fabulous.

message 15: by Steven (new)

Steven Horne (stevenhorne) | 5 comments I own hundreds of herb books and which one's I'd recommend depend a lot on what kind of herbalism you're interested in. I think some of the best authors include: Matthew Wood (who really helps you understand herbalism on a whole new level), Stephen Harrod Buhner (if you really want to understand the deeper spiritual and traditional approach to herbs), Amanda McQuade Crawford (who is an amazing herbalist and teacher), David Winston (good herbal science, very reliable info), David Hoffman (also good herbal science) and Michael and Leslie Tierra. One of my favorite quick references is Andrew Chevallier's Encylopedia of Medicinal Plants.

message 16: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) Linda wrote: "@Judy & Anna - I checked the book out of the library and made my first hydrosol with lavender from my garden using the inverted lid over a pot with ice on it method - thanks for the suggestion!"

Glad your library had it. The directions are easy to follow. The only thing I don't like is that his method recommendations for herbs are limited to the list of his favorite herbs. I have hollyhocks and can't find anything in this book about them.

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim (naturelvr) Judy wrote: "The Herbal Medicine Maker's Handbook A Home Manual by James Green is the one I own. I haven't seen any of the other books so I don't know how they compare."

Wonderful book!

message 18: by Teri (new)

Teri Dluznieski (horsewisevt) | 3 comments I have a selection of books I use as reference with clients. the two I use consitently are Penelope Ody's herbal reference, and Louise Tennye's a Modern herbal health. The two in combination, generally give an excellent cross-reference of usage. I have found them much more user-friendly to/ for the lay audience, straight-forward and the most clearly delineated information.

In Louise Tenney's book, I particularly like the secondary reference, where she goes through ailments, re-lists formulas- but also makes dietary and nutritional recommendations- which none of the other books do.

Teri
http://beingherd.com

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda Ash | 16 comments Hi Teri, I've just put both of those books on hold at my library. Can't wait for them to come in!

message 20: by Teri (new)

Teri Dluznieski (horsewisevt) | 3 comments Linda- I think you'll really be glad you did. there is another book that is a handy reference, although not precisely an herbal book ( it does offer a lot of herbal input) it's called saving yourself from the disease care crisis. another invaluable resource:) let me know what you think of the books;)

message 21: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 1 comments Thanks for the interesting suggestions. I enjoy Wildman Steve Brill's books on wild edible and medicinal plants. I also constantly refer to James Duke's book Green Pharmacy and also Susun Weed's books. My current favorite herb is nettle.

message 22: by Teri (new)

Teri Dluznieski (horsewisevt) | 3 comments oh, add Euell gibbons books to the list- I didn't think of them as herb/ herbal books, since he does more with/ on wildcrafting- but yeah, the granola man is an excellent resource:)

message 23: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (chikpea) | 1 comments Looking through this list I'm suprised no one has mentioned Rosemary Gladstar, she is a wonderful herbalist and her writing is clear and consise as are her instructions for medicine making. I love the way she speaks/writes of connecting to Earth before making/harvesting medicine. Very grounded.

message 24: by April (new)

April | 1 comments I'm considering purchasing, "Wild Cards" by Linda Runyon and wanted to know if anyone has them or has used them. If so, what's your opinion of them?

message 25: by Tristy (new)

Tristy at New World Library (tristyatnewworldlibrary) | 1 comments Hello, everyone! I wanted to share our new book with you all, to see if there is any interest: Be Your Own Herbalist: Essential Herbs for Health, Beauty, and Cooking Thanks!

Be Your Own Herbalist Essential Herbs for Health, Beauty, and Cooking by Michelle Schroffro Cook