Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > What is new?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

HI Everyone!
I have been a bit AWOL lately!

I have been away from home... 7 weeks out of the last 14! I have been super busy when I have been at home!

I did a course in October to present a workshop. I had a consultant on island to certify me to teach the course, in the middle of it.. about 3/4 the way through it, everyone had to leave because we were under a hurricane warning! It was unbelieveable! The hurricane came upon us so fast we had no real time to prepare!

We got through it OK, unfortunately one of the smaller islands did not! We are doing what we can to help them!

I feel a bit out of chicks on lit! I had a quick read through but wanted to ask..

How is everyone?
Anything new? Exciting?
OR just ordinary that you want to share?

Katie

message 2: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyh) I've been kind of out of it as well, no participating in the group as much as I'd like to... but I have big news to share!

I got a new job! And I wasn't even looking for one!

I realize how totally lucky I am in this situation, but I really just want to share. I start this new job two weeks from today.

I was recruited via a networking website. I'm going to be doing PR for a department store that is heaquartered here in Wisconsin. I'm so excited! I'm sad to leave the non-profit I've been working for... but so excited for this new opportunity.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep up with my running schedule though. I've had the luxury of being able to work-out at work for the last year. I'd like to run several 5Ks next year... but only if I can properly train for them.

Hope things are going well for everyone else!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Congratulations on the new Job Sydney!

It sounds like a great opportunity!

Good luck with the running. I wish I enjoyed running!
Katie

message 4: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 258 comments Congrats, Sydney!
That is very exciting!

Katie~ here is what I "enjoy" about running...it is FREE, it works into my schedule whenever I am free, and it gives that killer adrenaline rush when the legs burn! LOL

message 5: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Congrats on the new job Sydney.
I'm glad you made it through the hurricane Katie. I was worried about you and loved being able to follow you on facebook through it.

I am trying to find balance in my life. My never ending struggle so in the midst of all of it I decide to paint my kitchen?!?! Painted it. Hated it. Painting it again tonight.

Got my hair cut.
keeping busy with the family and their school stuff and church stuff and I was crazy enough to have a pampered chef party and I have a scentsy order going out this week (email me if you want a link) and trying to catch up on my reading this month. Inlaws coming next week and my mom coming in 3 weeks.

So pretty much same same here. ;)

message 6: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments Sydney - congrats on the new job! PR....I'm jealous.

Katie - glad to hear you made it through the hurricane. I'm also glad you started this thread. I've been hear but been doing more skim-lurking then anything lately.

Thanksgiving is a busy week for us. Plus the weather finally started getting cooler here, well until we had a day that was 68, so we've been couped up inside for weeks. I've started trying to tick through the house-to-do list again. At least the inside stuff. Fixing our heaters, getting runner for the stairs, new bed for my son, looking for a bed for us....
All basic stuff, nothing very exciting.

message 7: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyh) Katie... so glad you guys survived the hurricane. What type of course were you getting certified to teach?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Sydney, Tera, Roxy this last one was probably the scariest we have been through definately the closest call we have had in the 4 years we lived here!

Sydney.. I am a trainer, I work in the tourism industry and the course was a train the trainer for hands on practical training! I really like the course and now that I am certified I am excited to make it my own!

However I am hitting some strong resistance from my co-workers... that is another thread!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Tera,
What colour did you give up on.. and what is your new colour?

Roxy sounds like fun! I miss cooler weather.. we were in Miami this weekend and yesterday it was really cool.. it would have been perfect if I had brought a sweat shirt with me. I had to buy one at the airport as it was freezing and our flight was delayed!

What is everyone else up too?

Maybe I should start a what's for Thanksgiving thread??

message 10: by Tera, First Chick (last edited Nov 17, 2008 08:40PM) (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
the color as of Saturday night was an orange color. It was supposed to be burnt orange but it ended up looking very pumpkiny to me. My living room bleeds into my kitchen and eating area. My living room I want to paint a buttery yellow and my hall and foyer area is an almond color at the moment.
I went to bed Saturday night with the image of and orange kitchen, a yellow living room and an almond foyer/hall and all I could think was 'I will be living inside a piece of candy corn!'
Not only that but if you live anywhere close to this area of Texas burnt orange is the color of UT and thus UT football and you cant walk through texas without understanding that there are 3 things Texans love -
God
Football
Country
Quite possibly in that order. So the last thing I needed/wanted were people coming in my house raising the sign and shouting "Hook 'Em Horns!"
We painted again tonight... its more of a cinnamon raisen color. More in the red family which suits me fine i love the color red more than any color. Still needs some touch ups atm but my husband bought the wrong touch up brushes so that will have to wait till morning.

message 11: by Christeena (new)

Christeena (kissmeteena) | 22 comments Katie - Praise God you made it through the hurricane. I've never been through one but they scare me.

Sydney - Congrats on the new job!

Tera - One year my mother in law spent the whole year painting and repainting the house we lived in at the time. She had so many buckets of paint in the garage we could of started our own supply store. Although it was fun painting my room. I painted it leopard print by using sponge cut outs.

I just finished an economics class then realized I didn't need it for my degree. The way I look at it though...it was very valuable information that I can use in future decisions. It seems like finals are just around the corner...oh wait they are, yikes! I also just found out today that I've been invited to a leadership conference with my church all expenses paid for the first weekend in Dec. I'm really excited about that. I didn't even know I was being considered for a leadership role. I'm really enjoying this group and haven't even read a book with you all yet.

message 12: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 258 comments LOL at the painting in the middle of a hectic life, tera.....

we need to see hte finish color!

ANd "Hook 'em, HOrns'...not beign from Texas...that also made me laugh!

I had 5 kids playing soccer on various teams this Fall..from Boston to our home town. I feel like life is really much calmer now that I dont' need to worry about getting everyone where they need to be!

Maybe I will paint!

message 13: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyh) Teri - Oh, I'll never have thin legs or a skinny butt! But what I've got is definitely more toned. Yes, I did start off slowly. I started on a treadmill. Walking for a long stretch, then slowly adding running. (walk 7 minutes, run 3 walk 7, run 3, etc.) eventually I got to the point where I was running (slowly) more than walking... and now I've been able to gradually increase both my speed and distance.

I hated running at first... but I'm starting to get over the hate and I actually like the way I feel when I'm done running.

Katie- That training to train other people sounds interesting! And it's great that you're so excited about it. As for the resistance from others, change is always scary... they'll get over it, especially if you've bought into the training and are excited and enthusiastic about it!

message 14: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Teri: I was at a wedding a few weeks ago and Christine Kane sung for us. she has an amazing voice, it was some wedding.

Alas, I will always have big legs and a big butt. I think there is a song about men loving big butts (thank goodness!)

5 papers to go and my course is over. I think my life will come back then. I can't wait.

I am going to Texas, Houston for thanksgiving to visit my boys. Anyone live there for a quick get together?

message 15: by Holli (new)

Holli I loved reading this thread Katie. Thanks so much for starting it and I am so glad you survived the hurricane and that you are helping out the other not so fortunate island.

Sydney....I don't run. Not at all. Even before the heart attack ;) So I do commend you for your perserverance and your running enthusiasm. Congrats on the job....I know you will do wonderfully at it.

Tera.....seriously dying laughing over here about your paint color and not wanting anyone to think you are a diehard Longhorns fan, Totally get that over here in "Buckeye Country". Oh my god these people in Ohio are FANATICS about their college team. Insanity I swear.

Christeena.....join in on a book read. You'll love it :) and thanks for sharing about yourself!!

Teri....I would love to do the personality test. Your retreat sounds awesome and like something I'd love to do. I am following her blog now and really identified with the post today. Glad you got some much needed rest and "me" time there!!! How was North Carolina? Beautiful?

Oh how I wish I were going to Houston Meg.....one of my best friends just moved back there though so I'll be going there at some point next year to see her. We'll need to coordinate our trips huh?

message 16: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) | 1586 comments "Fat Bottomed Girls" by Queen is my anthem. If any of you know a song celebrating women with cankles, please let me know! We may as well embrace our flaws, right?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Teri...

I train people in the tourism industry, hotels, restaurants, attractions, water sports... how to train their staff, how to train them to maintain their standards through on going on the job 15 minute training sessions.

And your weekend sounds cool!

Marsha... you and me... too funny! I love it!

Tera,
I can't wait to see your finished job! I love to paint and can not believe I have lived in this house for 3 years with white walls. It is seriously driving me crazy!

message 18: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 258 comments LOL this thread makes me smile!

Happy trails, Meg!

HOlli~ how is the snow in Ohio this morning?

tera~ paint update, please?

Sydney~ Have you run this week yet? I took the dogs out for the easy 1 mile loop around oru neighborhood.

Teri~ YOur job sounds like it is FUN! I work in the guest services department at a ski area int eh winter time!

message 19: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristen120378) I'll speak for Holli, Cyn and tell you that the weather here in OHIO sucks. But then again, I noticed you live in Vermont so it's nothing to you!!!! But it's way too early for snow here - seriously. I'm used to it coming the first weekend of December, but not now.

message 20: by Holli (new)

Holli I will back Kristen up on that....it SUCKS here in Ohio. No new snow today. Still some lingering a bit on the ground from yesterday and it is not even 30 degrees out there yet at 9:15am. Ridiculous.

Kristen....opened my blinds this morning to my back porch and came face to face with a deer standing on it looking at me thru the window. Ooookkkkk..... totally random!!!!

message 21: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristen120378) Yes, deers, deers, everywhere this time of year. My parents live in a very wooded area in PA and they have tons in their backyards, and squirrels and chipmunks, and rabbits, etc. My mom and dad feed them, they are like their pets they keep outside.

message 22: by Holli (last edited Nov 19, 2008 06:35AM) (new)

Holli We have a semi-wooded area behind our house with a stream that runs through it and I have seen all kinds of strange animals come out of there now. Groundhogs (had never seen one of those before), rabbits, possums, raccoons, chipmunks, squirrels, but never a deer! Its not that wooded!! LOL So that was a shock this morning...but a cute one.

The groundhogs tormented my cat all summer. They would stand up on their hind legs in our yard and stare at her on the porch. And sway. And they would do this until I would let her in. (as she is plastered up against the screen howling trying to get me to let her in!!) It was hilarious!

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments "And sway."

I can just picture this!

Teri, your retreat sounds neat!

Tera - what's up w/the paint now? Candy corn, that's so funny. Well, tis the season to have fall colors. I like the sound of raisin / cinnamon even better tho.

message 24: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 66 comments I live in a rural area and I love seeing the "critters". The canadian geese are flying south and there are a lot of wild turkeys around right now. I love watching the deer but there are none to be seen now 'cause it's deer season. They know where to hide.LOL

message 25: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyh) We've got a pair of wild turkeys that live in the wooded parkway across from our house. They stroll up and down the half mile stretch... it's kind of funny. They're inseparable. We've also got a coyote that hangs out in the neighborhood... odd considering we're in busy suburban area... but there's a river and wooded area nearby... and a golf course.