The Trench discussion

The U.N. remedy or waste of time/money?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Servius  Heiner  | 360 comments Mod
I had a debate some time ago with Donna, about the merits of the U.N.; And tried to explore the idea that we should withdraw financial support from that institution.

Donna, didn't care for my idea, brought up a lot of counter points. All of which in my mind were wiped away with one line.

"It doesn't matter what small successes the U.N.has enjoyed, because they fail completely when dealing with their charters stated purpose." As peace keepers I think they are a complete failure, and I don't believe it is something the U.S. taxpayer should shoulder.

message 2: by Varmint (new)

Varmint | 208 comments the world health/ disease fighting arms have had some success. mostly because polio and smallpox did not have a reliable block of votes in the general assembly.
dictatorships, from communist to islamo nazi to just plain nuts are able to game the system. they regularly out vote or out maneuver the western democracies. the U.N. will never be a force for peace and freedom because a significant number of the member states do not want it to be.

My point spot on Varmint. I.E. I think we should stop funding it. Even when they do engage in "peace" keeping missions they either fail or it is with the overwhelming support of U.S. forces. So if we are going to deploy anyway, why not just funnel those moneys into our own military?

message 4: by Varmint (new)

Varmint | 208 comments i think "circle jerk" doesn't quite work as a description for the U.N. the word just doesn't convey enough evil.

i can see no reason to continue the farce.

message 5: by Varmint (new)

Varmint | 208 comments i did a cartoon a few years back. too lazy to find it again. three panels. a french peace keeper is lamenting his sad lot. long hours, bad food,little pay, in the final shot, he grabs a small girl orphan and says "i'd quit if not for the pussy".

Heh!

message 7: by Varmint (new)

Varmint | 208 comments they should relocate to the site of one of their peacekeeping successes. like haiti, or the sudan.

message 8: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 467 comments The UN is dead. It's a mafia racket now. Kick it off US soil, and start again with The League of Democracies. Membership requires responisible membership among the community of nations, otherwise dictatorships will be told to "pound sand".