The Classics discussion

December Book - Themed?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by theduckthief (new)

theduckthief | 269 comments Mod
Hi guys

I'm just wondering if you wanted to do a themed pick for December's book or do you just want a few themed titles to pick from for next month? Let me know. Thanks.

message 2: by S. Kay (new)

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 27 comments I enjoy themed books a lot and wouldn't mind another for December.

message 3: by Sadie (new)

Sadie Theme books are fun and there are only 2 holidays really that you can do that with. "A Christmas Carol" is always good, but may be a little overdone. I haven't read any of Dickens other christmas tales.

message 4: by theduckthief (new)

Alright so if you have a themed choice for December, just post it on here and by through random number generator I'll pick two.

message 5: by Sadie (new)

Sadie 1. A Christmas Carol - Dickens
2. The Cricket on the Hearth - Dickens
3. The Chimes - Dickens

I don't know of any other "classics" that are christmas tales. Maybe I'll look them up.

message 6: by Cat (new)

Cat Fletcher (auramorganna) i'm pretty open as I havent read any Christmas or Holiday themed books :)

message 7: by Sadie (new)

Sadie There's also "The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry

message 8: by S. Kay (new)

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 27 comments I'm really, really interested in reading Gift of the Magi! That's been on my list for ages.

message 9: by Sadie (new)

Sadie I've never read "The Gift of the Magi" either. I'm not sure how long it is, but maybe a shorter book wouldn't be so bad considering all the stuff going on during the holidays.

message 10: by theduckthief (last edited Nov 19, 2008 12:00PM) (new)

Alright guys I've used the random number generator at Random.org.

I thought we could vote on two themed books and two books from the Master List. Random.org gave me 1 and 4 for the themed books, meaning "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens and "The Gift of the Magi" by O Henry. It also gave me 1 and 24 for the Master Book List, meaning "Little Men" by Louisa May Alcott and "Silas Marner" by George Eliot.

Here's the poll. It starts today and ends next Sunday to give you a week to get the book.

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/41...

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelliveshere) | 7 comments So, it looks like a tie between Silas Marner and Christmas Carol. What should we do?

message 12: by theduckthief (new)

In the unlikely event that a tie should occur, (though strangely enough it's happened before) I'll make the deciding vote.

Sorry guys but I really want a themed book for December. "A Christmas Carol" it is then. You still have a week to get the book so no rush.

message 13: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) So what is the December book that we're going to discuss?

message 14: by theduckthief (new)

Hi jzhunagev. We're reading "A Christmas Carol".