Goodreads Author Feedback Group discussion

Ask Goodreads > Any authors in the KDP Select Program?

Comments (showing 1484-1533)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 30 31

message 1533: by Jack (new)

Jack Knapp | 646 comments Linda wrote: "I published through Kindle because of Amazon.com. I think just about everyone that shops online shops there at least sometimes. So KDP select was no problem. The only downside is that you only hav..."

That's two more than I got from Apple, B&N, and Kobo.

message 1532: by Pat (new)

Pat Cher (PatCher) | 5 comments Amazon gave me this link to google where you can lodge a complaint...
https://support.google.com/legal/trou...
I've just tried it.
My books are also on Ebay. Not sure if these people are Amazon Associates. One is not he's offering one of my books ads a used book. It's a book that never sold as paperback, only as an ebook...I think this is going to become a major problem for authors.

message 1531: by Jasenn (last edited Oct 03, 2014 12:03PM) (new)

Jasenn Zaejian | 25 comments All 3 of my books showed up at different sites for free and for compensation...which I never received. I don't know how to deal with this other than to accept that at least some people may have benefited

message 1530: by David (new)

David James (goodreadscomdavid_james) | 52 comments You still have a couple of days to win a free copy of The Scholar's Tale on Good Reads.

message 1529: by Pat (new)

Pat Cher (PatCher) | 5 comments Download genie was the one but it did go through Google Docs. Not sure if they belong to a google.

message 1528: by K.J. (new)

K.J. Farnham Pat, something similar happened with my book. I Googled the title three days after publication and found a Wordpress blog that offered a free download link. The link took me to a site called Download Genie. From what I understand, they probably did not have my book but were just trying to get people to sign up for the site and provide credit card info. I issued a DMCA takedown notice to Wordpress, and the next day they shut down the blog. I also signed up for Google alerts - great service. I know this info isn't relevant to the thread, but I figured people might find it useful regardless.

message 1527: by Pat (new)

Pat Cher (PatCher) | 5 comments Beware of copyright infringement !!! I placed my book title on Google Alert and received an alert telling me my book was fFREE Sure enough followed the link and there it was on google docs...
Anyone else ever have this problem.? I only publish on Amazon.
Amazon says they can't do anything about it to contact the people who are offering it free...
No replies yet?
Try your book on google alerts and see what happens.. This incident happened shortly after a promotion on a KDP

message 1526: by Linda (new)

Linda Jenkinson (linjen) | 2 comments I published through Kindle because of Amazon.com. I think just about everyone that shops online shops there at least sometimes. So KDP select was no problem. The only downside is that you only have the two promotional items and you can only use one of them per enrollment period, which is 90 days.

message 1525: by Will (new)

Will Moore | 7 comments I'm not actually in Select, but I do publish through kdp. I also publish through Kobo and other retailers, via D2D.

For my last book, I sold loads through kindle, and only a few through all the others put together. So, for the next one I'll be using kdp only, so will go Select for the extra benefits.

I should say, I'm in the UK.

message 1524: by Scott (new)

Scott Hildreth (ScottHildreth) | 1 comments I have used KDP select exclusively, and have been very pleased with the results. My promotions (Countdown)have gone extremely well, and the Kindle Unlimited allows people to receive free books. My experience with Kindle Unlimited is that the 'purchasers' actually read and review, as compared to the "free giveaway" readers merely getting another book which sits on their Kindle unread for potentially ever.

Since my first book, I have not had a free giveaway.

I typically sell around 6-10,000 copies of (erotica)ebooks upon the first six weeks of release.

Hope this helps.

message 1523: by S. (new)

S. Aksah | 100 comments Done a few promo. Only managed like a few dozen of download and a few reviews. Can't complaint too much judging from the response here it seems.

message 1522: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 336 comments I recently tried another ad campaign with The Fussy Librarian. It's a fairly new site and is still building readership, but I had a decent spike in sales. Not as much as my Countdown promo with ENT, but their prices are very reasonable. They're also one of the few sites that will let you advertise a book at full price, which is what I did.

message 1521: by Jack (new)

Jack Knapp | 646 comments I looked at ENT, decided I didn't have enough lead time. Went back to Amazon to try delaying the Countdown, found I couldn't; once scheduled, it was locked in. But I do plan to contact them next week, see if they'll feature Darwin's World when the Countdown for that starts in about three weeks. I'll probably go for the ordinary listing instead of the 'featured' listing. Maybe, a few months from now, I might pay the extra bucks, assuming Combat Wizard fits what they're willing to feature.

message 1520: by K.J. (new)

K.J. Farnham My first Kindle Countdown Deal is going on right now. It started on Thursday and ends on Tuesday. I advertised on Facebook the first day and only saw a few sales as a result. Then Ereader News Today featured my book on Friday, and that's when the sales picked up. Sales are still trickling in. I agree with Ken; the Countdown Deals probably only work in conjunction with advertising. I highly recommend ENT. I am trying Riffle (which is just as reasonably priced as ENT) for my next Countdown Deal in late November. Good luck to everyone. This marketing game is tough!

message 1519: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 336 comments I think promotions like Countdown only work, these days, when they;re heavily advertised. I've done several, with and without paid advertising. The one that produced the best results was when I advertised on E-reader News Today.

message 1518: by L.L. (new)

L.L. Thrasher (LLThrasher) | 14 comments Many of the long-time members of the KDP Community Forum feel that free promotions are worthwhile when they make only the first book of a series free; if people like the first one, they're likely to want to read the others.

Linda

message 1517: by Paul (new)

Paul | 42 comments I tried the KDP Select - got over 4000 downloads for a nonfiction book but got few reviews and not many sales. That was two years ago. The next year I tried it with two additional ebooks and got a fraction of the downloads...and few residual sales. In May and June of this year, I put three books on the countdown program to see if it was any good and got about 50 purchased at 99 cents. I get almost no borrows anymore. I don't know what's up with Select or Countdown, but they aren't working for me.

message 1516: by Norm (new)

Norm Hamilton (normhamilton) | 153 comments Mark wrote: "Should mention that, after a freebie giveaway, sales tripled for a few days, then doubled for about ten days after that. Of course, the bookbub ad costs me 90 bucks. I blogged on it here: http://ww..."

My experience with KDP Select was that I had hundreds of downloads -- no expense. I wrote about it on my blog. There's two follow up posts.

So, I moved a lot of free books, but it didn't make any difference to the paid sales ... I also didn't get a single review out of the deal.

Norm Hamilton, Writer, Copy-Editor, Proofreader
Author of From Thine Own Well , Sarah’s Embrace , The Digital Eye
Website
Email

message 1515: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 4 comments I have also done giveaways that made zero dent on sales. These days, you need to put out ads for freebies for it to make a difference it seems. Crazy huh.

message 1514: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 4 comments Should mention that, after a freebie giveaway, sales tripled for a few days, then doubled for about ten days after that. Of course, the bookbub ad costs me 90 bucks. I blogged on it here: http://www.markmatthewsauthor.com/201...

message 1513: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 4 comments Norm wrote: "Mark wrote: "I am in Kindle Select and incredibly happy with it."

Excellent, Mark. What is it about Kindle Select that has made you happy? Exposure? Sales?

How has it worked for you? It'd be gre..."

The number of borrows and Kindle Unlimited purchases have matched the number of buys, nearly. That has been the biggest. I am guessing this outweighs what would be purchased on other sites. Also, I did a Bookbub freebie giveaway, which really helped. (16,087 downloads) I am mixed on this, however, as it always causes the "I don't even like this genre" one star review. And I am sure some who got it for free may have eventually bought it. I am going to try my first kindle countdown deal soon.

Biggest thing is, the number of kindle select/borrows has been huge. More and more publishers are using it, it seems.

message 1512: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Norm wrote: "Mark wrote: "I am in Kindle Select and incredibly happy with it."

Excellent, Mark. What is it about Kindle Select that has made you happy? Exposure? Sales?

How has it worked for you? It'd be gre..."

I'm interested in knowing also. I haven't done Select just KDP and free give-a-ways.

message 1511: by Norm (new)

Norm Hamilton (normhamilton) | 153 comments Mark wrote: "I am in Kindle Select and incredibly happy with it."

How has it worked for you? It'd be great do see some positive feedback.

Norm Hamilton, Writer, Copy-Editor, Proofreader
Author of From Thine Own Well , Sarah’s Embrace , The Digital Eye
Website
Email

message 1510: by Mark (new)

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 4 comments I am in Kindle Select and incredibly happy with it.

message 1509: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) Norm wrote: "How do I register for the Unlimited Program?"

Caroline wrote: "I'm not entirely sure but Kindle Unlimited is automatic, I believe when you are signed up for KDP.

If your book is enrolled in KDP Select, it will be available for free to Prime and Kindle Unlimited subscribers.

When you log in to http://kdp.amazon.com, look at the KDP Select column on your Bookshelf page. Next to each book you've published, it will either say "Enroll" or "Manage Benefits."

(It also says "Info" if you want to see when your current enrollment ends, and if you're set to automatically enroll again at that time.)

message 1508: by Caroline (new)

Caroline I'm not entirely sure but Kindle Unlimited is automatic, I believe when you are signed up for KDP. It is the newest program they have. Feel free to correct me here.

message 1507: by Norm (new)

Norm Hamilton (normhamilton) | 153 comments Bradford wrote: "Those of you in the KDP Select program may be enrolled in the Unlimited program as well. Have you noticed that the borrows under Unlimited are contributing to an increase in your Book Rank numbers?"

How do I register for the Unlimited Program?

message 1506: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Yes, earlier today I was at 9,380. So under 10K is a lot better than 3 or 4 million in rankings!

message 1505: by Bradford (new)

Bradford Smith (BradfordSmith) | 38 comments Those of you in the KDP Select program may be enrolled in the Unlimited program as well. Have you noticed that the borrows under Unlimited are contributing to an increase in your Book Rank numbers?

message 1504: by Miss M (new)

Miss M (MissMuffett) | 59 comments Bradford wrote: "Caroline wrote: "1,000 copies is awesome and don't you get some money from their big monthly pot? "

Nick said he enrolled on Amazon's KDP, not the KDP Select. You don't get anything from the month..."

But you can't use the free promotions he mentioned unless you're in Select, so he must be in the program.

message 1503: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Bradford wrote: "Caroline wrote: "1,000 copies is awesome and don't you get some money from their big monthly pot? "

Nick said he enrolled on Amazon's KDP, not the KDP Select. You don't get anything from the month..."

Thanks, I did not know that.

message 1502: by Jack (new)

Jack Knapp | 646 comments And you don't get anything from those free downloads.
You DO get a bit from 'borrows' and from discounts offered through KDP Select's Countdown deals.
The problem with free downloads? I've probably got a few hundred of them on my various devices; I'll probably read them at some point, at least some of them. Maybe.
Downloads doesn't equate to readers, and readers do not mean reviews.

message 1501: by Bradford (new)

Bradford Smith (BradfordSmith) | 38 comments Caroline wrote: "1,000 copies is awesome and don't you get some money from their big monthly pot? "

Nick said he enrolled on Amazon's KDP, not the KDP Select. You don't get anything from the monthly pot unless you're enrolled in the KDP Select program.

message 1500: by Nick (new)

Nick (NickVellis) | 2 comments Caroline wrote: "Nick wrote: "I enrolled on Amazon's KDP. I have pitifully few sales. I have used the free promotion resulting in over 1,000 downloads. When the promotion ends there are, however, no accompanying fo..."

That is an amazing number. I was very surprised. I hope I do get something from the pot of $ but I'd like to make a sale or too.

message 1499: by Anita (new)

Anita Dickason (anitadickason) | 22 comments I ran my first promotion over the weekend and was pleased with the number of downloads, though it was not near as many as you had. I am a new author in the fiction area, so my objective was just to get my book out there to create visibility. I waited to run the promotion until I had published my second book and am hoping if someone liked this book, they will be interested in ordering my second book, or even the non-fiction. Whether it works, is another question.

message 1498: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Nick wrote: "I enrolled on Amazon's KDP. I have pitifully few sales. I have used the free promotion resulting in over 1,000 downloads. When the promotion ends there are, however, no accompanying follow on sales..."

And that is THE question we all want answered. Good luck everybody. 1,000 copies is awesome and don't you get some money from their big monthly pot?

message 1497: by Nick (new)

Nick (NickVellis) | 2 comments I enrolled on Amazon's KDP. I have pitifully few sales. I have used the free promotion resulting in over 1,000 downloads. When the promotion ends there are, however, no accompanying follow on sales or reader reviews. Its great to give it away but how do you make a sale?

message 1496: by Anita (new)

Anita Dickason (anitadickason) | 22 comments I just went through this process in publishing my second book using Smashwords.

My first book,ebook only, is on Amazon in the KDP Select program, and yes it is only for 90 days. During the 90 days, it can only be sold on Amazon. The reason I elected to enroll in KDP Select, is the five day promotional program that lets a user download for free. I wanted to be able to use that promotion. Once my 90 days is up, I will not renew. The book will still be sold on Amazon, but I can then go through Smashwords to distribute the book to other retailers.

My second book, ebook only, was through Smashwords. I excluded distribution to Amazon and uploaded the book direct to Amazon, but did not select enrolling in KDP.

The reason for the dual publication had to do with the ISBN numbers and distribution from Smashword to Amazon if you are using one of their ISBN numbers. I was also concerned over the reported delays in Smashwords publishing the book.

I am experimenting to see what is the best combination in publishing a book, so this has been my experience so far.

message 1495: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 187 comments Okay just so things are clear for everyone.

KDP is Amazon's self-publishing program. Having a book on KDP DOES NOT mean that it is exclusive to Amazon.

KDP Select, on the other hand, is a special program available on KDP. KDP Select runs for 90 days and means that your WILL have your book exclusively on Amazon for that period of time. KDP Select will AUTOMATICALLY renew at the end of the term unless you check the box to opt out of it. KDP Select allows you to have one promotion of either a Kindle Countdown (99 cent) or 5 day free promotion. It also puts your book into Kindle Unlimited.

So you CAN have a book on KDP without having it in Select, allowing you to have your book on Smashwords, iBooks, Google, etc. But you won't have it in Kindle Unlimited then and you won't have the option of special promotions on Amazon.

message 1494: by J.p. (last edited Aug 13, 2014 10:43AM) (new)

J.p. Sitler | 8 comments I always give an honest review of a book I have read and a thorough one so you can see I have actually read the book. I will definitely research the law part since it is only in amazon's interest to sell more books. What I found was..."We don't allow anyone to write customer reviews as a form of promotion and if we find evidence that a customer was paid for a review, we'll remove it. If you have a direct or indirect financial interest in a product, or perceived to have a close personal relationship with its author or artist, we'll likely remove your review. We don't allow authors to submit customer reviews on their own books even when they disclose their identity." A fellow author's review is not a promotion but paying someone to promote it is....

message 1493: by Christa (new)

Christa Watkins (christawatkins) | 137 comments J.p. wrote: "Getting reviews on amazon is important and by reading each other's book and writing reviews it can be really helpful to get your rankings up on amazon. Goodreads of course is a good place to get the word out. "

I should point out that Amazon doesn't like this practice, and some readers frown upon it as well because there's always a question of whether or not the reviews are honest. In addition, the content of the review must disclose if a review was given in exchange for a free copy or a review swap. This disclosure is required by US law.

message 1492: by S. (new)

S. Aksah | 100 comments Yep in kindle select

message 1491: by J.p. (new)

J.p. Sitler | 8 comments These days with self-publishing, authors support and work together to promote each other's work on twitter and other sites. Rave Reviews Book Club is a great site for authors. Getting reviews on amazon is important and by reading each other's book and writing reviews it can be really helpful to get your rankings up on amazon. Goodreads of course is a good place to get the word out. Competition among authors? People read more than one book usually! Have not had much luck with KP Select with regularly giving out free copies of "Fugue" a psychological thriller.

message 1490: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Neville (BarbaraNeville) | 9 comments Barbara wrote: "My first book is in KDP select for a second round, I gave away maybe 300 copies. The paperback and Large Print paperback are still available worldwide. Only the ebook is exclusive to Amazon. I trie..."

Also, KDP automatically renews after 90 days unless you tell it not to.

message 1489: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Jackson (ElaineJenny) | 74 comments Barbara wrote: "My first book is in KDP select for a second round, I gave away maybe 300 copies. The paperback and Large Print paperback are still available worldwide. Only the ebook is exclusive to Amazon. I trie..."

Thanks for that info, Barbara - I've since read further and see now where it says the KDP is for 90 days. I've got the paperback up on Amazon, and the electronic version is now 'under review' so I'm hopeful that will be up soon, too.

It's a real learning curve, isn't it - and made much easier by my fellow writers who've been so kind with information. I remember reading once on Goodreads that all authors hate each other - I can categorically say now that I have not found that to be the case at all. More power to our elbow!

Thanks everyone!

Elaine

message 1488: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Jackson (ElaineJenny) | 74 comments Caroline wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Hi Caroline -

Many thanks for your speedy reply - I'm sitting here with the agreement open in another tab! When you say you're through now - does that mean your book is only availa..."

It doesn't cost anything to publish with Createspace...:-)

message 1487: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Neville (BarbaraNeville) | 9 comments My first book is in KDP select for a second round, I gave away maybe 300 copies. The paperback and Large Print paperback are still available worldwide. Only the ebook is exclusive to Amazon. I tried the Kindle Countdown last go around and sold none. Kindle Countdown's don't seem to be promoted by Amazon in any way. I did sell a few on Amazon.uk Countdown Deals, maybe they promote them. When I went into the US site it was hard to even find the countdown deal. I plan to give it another try with the Large print edition, but am still not convinced that either promotion did much. However, it takes time. I have sold more paperbacks at the local farmers market then Amazon has so far. It acts as an impromptu book signing. My book is "On the Rocks" by Barbara Neville A humorous western action adventure. Best of luck to us all!

message 1486: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Elaine wrote: "Hi Caroline -

Many thanks for your speedy reply - I'm sitting here with the agreement open in another tab! When you say you're through now - does that mean your book is only available on Amazon f..."

Well, I like Amazon and will keep all my books there. I just want to try a few other places like Kobo or iTunes, which I know nothing about. I may change my mind as it all is so complicated. I have many other things to do.

Possibly, I'll try Createspace; what did it cost?

message 1485: by E.J. (new)

E.J. Jackson (ElaineJenny) | 74 comments Hi Caroline -

Many thanks for your speedy reply - I'm sitting here with the agreement open in another tab! When you say you're through now - does that mean your book is only available on Amazon for a specific period of time through KDP? I can't have read the small print properly then because I didn't realise that books are only available for a limited time - I assumed they were up until you took them down... boy, have I got a lot to learn!

I'll unpublish from Smashwords now, then, and hit 'agree' as soon as I know it's done - thank you again for coming back to me so quickly, really appreciate it.

Yes, I found Createspace MUCH easier for book formatting than Smashwords or (for the first hardback version) Lulu.com (guess I'll have to unpublish from Lulu too, now the paperback is up on Amazon as well)- and Lulu really messed up the cover printing too, which they'd never done before (have used them for other things and they were always fine). Yes,I created the books with Createspace and then published to Amazon - have to say it was easier than I thought it would be, and the CS preview tool is excellent.

message 1484: by Caroline (last edited Aug 13, 2014 05:44AM) (new)

Caroline Elaine wrote: "I've got my book up on Smashwords (for the electronic version) and Createspace (for the paperback). Now Createspace is asking me if I want to publish on Kindle, and to sign up to the KDP Select Pro..."

Hi Elaine,

Yes, I've done the KDP w/ Amazon like three times and I did take it off Smashwords first. I wanted Smashwords because a friend said he gets all his books from there and he is a prolific reader, however, I wanted to try Amazon, especially for the summer.

I'm just about through and will now attempt to put my book elsewhere for awhile.

Are you pleased with CreateSpace? Does it cost? Did you do Createspace and then publish to Amazon for e-book and paper?

Thanks,
Caroline

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 30 31
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Ghost of Caroline Wald (other topics)
Fast Times in Palestine (other topics)
The Dark Lord's Handbook (other topics)
The Prairie Companions (other topics)
The Other Alexander (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael R. Hicks (other topics)
Michael E. Henderson (other topics)
Jaye Frances (other topics)
Tracey Allen (other topics)
Ellise C. Weaver (other topics)
More...