Shrink Rap (Psychology Books) discussion

All about Books > Wild Children

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:17AM) (new)

Rebecca | 3 comments I'm looking for a few good books on wild children (feral children, "wolf girl", etc.)

I've already tried Encounters with Wild Children and Savage Girls and Wild Boys but neither of those were quite I was hoping for.

Any suggestions?

message 2: by Jonathan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:18AM) (new)

Jonathan Ridenour | 8 comments Don't quite know what you are looking for. If you are talking about kids that have been abused and their trauma a good pop psych book is A Boy Called It.

message 3: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:18AM) (new)

Rebecca | 3 comments Wild children are kids who grow up in isolation from other human beings, and often without language. Sometimes this can be from extreme cases of abuse/neglect (like in the case of Genie, the girl who was locked in her room with minimal human contact until she was 13) but it is often because the children are literally lost in the wilderness as infants or toddlers and they are taken in by packs of wolves, bears or other animals.

I'm looking for books that focus more on the cases of children raised by animals.

message 4: by Melinda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Melinda FeralChildren.com seems to have quite a few resources on feral children. They also have a list of readings.

message 5: by Selena (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Selena (selenacurrently) St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves: Stories
by Karen Russell

Is that what you're looking for?

message 6: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Rebecca | 3 comments From what I scanned on amazon, that looks like a collection of fictional short stories.

Ideally, I would like to find a book by an animal behaviorist that details how and why packs of otherwise predatory animals take in human "foster children"...

as well as...

books by social psychologists about the effect it has on the children.

message 7: by Jonathan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Jonathan Ridenour | 8 comments Check out David Buss, he basically coined Evolutionary Psychology and talks a great length about these topics. Consider The Evolution of Desire or one of his many other books...