Here Be Magic discussion

Book Talk > You have to read it!

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Jan 03, 2012 03:45PM) (new)

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 61 comments Mod
Every now and then a book comes along that you want to stop strangers in the street to recommend they read it. The book is wonderful, memorable, indescribable...well, share it here. We're all fantasy lovers and our TBR towers can always go higher!

I'll kick off with just two books from last year (though there are a ton more I'm itching to shout "read them"). The first is Patricia Brigg's River Marked. The second is Shirin Dubbin's Chaos Tryst. It's pure coincidence they both involve shifters ;)

Chaos Tryst by Shirin Dubbin River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs

message 2: by Shona (new)

Shona (ShonaHusk) | 1 comments Mod
Oh, you have to read the Dark Age Dawning series by Ellen Connor. LOVE IT!
Nightfall (Dark Age Dawning, #1) by Ellen Connor Midnight (Dark Age Dawning, #2) by Ellen Connor Daybreak by Ellen Connor

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Kick ass apocalypse. Oh, these look gooooood.

message 4: by Shawna (new)

Shawna Thomas (ShawnaThomas) | 8 comments Mod
Okay, I loved River Marked. I should have looked at this thread before I posted about my TBR list. ; )

message 5: by Regan (new)

Regan (ReganSummers) | 13 comments Mod
I have to recommend Stacia Kane's Downside series to anyone who's looking for dark urban fantasy. Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4) by Stacia Kane Sacrificial Magic, the fourth book, comes out this year.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Regan, Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series hooked me on urban fantasy. Off to check out the Downside.

message 7: by Jeffe (new)

Jeffe Kennedy (jeffe_kennedy) | 1 comments Mod
I love both Ilona Andrews and Stacia Kane - well worth the reading time. Andrews' The Edge series is excellent, too.

message 8: by Jenny (new)

The Edge series feels really different to Ilona Andrews' Kate stories. Hasn't hooked me as much, tho I definitely enjoyed the latest, Fate's Edge

message 9: by Jenny (last edited Jan 20, 2012 04:09PM) (new)

I finished Shona's Dark Vow a week or so ago and I've had to exercise enormous willpower not to share the review early ... I have a schedule for my Australian Women Writers 2012 Challenge, and dammit, I'm gonna keep to it!

But finally, it's Saturday and here's my review of this brilliant Western distopian fantasy novella http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... My review boils down to: read it! Loved the characters and the fabulous world Shona creates.

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Carina Press is not doing my book budget much good, but my goodness, can you guys write! Just yesterday I read Priestess of the Nile AND The Stubborn Dead (because I'm greedy that way, want to read everything!) and they were fantastic! I was transported to other worlds and caught up in the characters' dramas. Don't Bite the Messenger had exactly the same effect.

I love stories that take me to another place -- much cheaper than airfares and I don't get travel sick ;)

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Luiken | 6 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "Every now and then a book comes along that you want to stop strangers in the street to recommend they read it. The book is wonderful, memorable, indescribable...well, share it here. We're all fanta..."

No new Mercedes Thompson book this year :( but the third Alpha and Omega book Fair Game (a related werewolf series by Patricia Briggs) is out March 6th. Can't wait!

message 12: by Jenny (new)

I have it on pre-order -- not desperate, much! ;)

message 13: by Shawna (new)

Shawna Thomas (ShawnaThomas) | 8 comments Mod
I love the Alpha and Omega books. But I really want a new Mercedes Thompson book! : )

And I agree. I'll read anything Andrews writes. Now I have some new Carina books to read.

message 14: by Seleste (new)

Seleste deLaney (SelestedeLaneyauthor) | 2 comments Mod
For me, this was Allison Pang's Abby Sinclair series (starts with A Brush of Darkness).

I also read a lot of YA and Break by Hannah Moskowitz (contemporary non-romance) is phenomenal, as is Incarnate by Jodi Meadows (other-world dystopian).

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Chaos Tryst (other topics)
River Marked (other topics)
Daybreak (other topics)
Midnight (other topics)
Nightfall (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ellen Connor (other topics)