Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Books divided in 2 or more volumes

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carla (new)

Carla (whitelady) | 6 comments I was wondering what's the policy for books which are divided into 2 or more volumes in different countries.

I mean, in Portugal each book of the George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire", is divided in two volumes. For example, "A Game of Thrones" was published in two volumes entitled "A Guerra dos Tronos" and "A Muralha de Gelo". Should I combine these two with this one ->A Game of Thrones?

Christina Stind | 60 comments I've been wondering this as well.
I have a Danish translation of "Anna Karenina" in two volumens and I'm not sure how to add it and how to combine it.
I don't want it to count as two books so I've been thinking about adding it with the cover for volume one (only difference between the two volumes is the color) and then writing in the description that it's a two-volume edition of this book.
Any thoughts?

JG (Introverted Reader) | 480 comments We aren't supposed to combine volumes of a work with the original work. If I only read volume 1, and you've read the whole book, we haven't read the same thing, but that's how it would appear if they're combined. I hope that makes sense.

Christina Stind | 60 comments Exactly - but when I have read both vol. 1 and 2 of my Anna Karenina, I have read the entire book and I would like to have my version linked with all the other Anna Kareninas out there.
That's why I suggest putting them up as one book but stating that it's a two-volume version...

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Christina, What I would do (and I don't know if this is correct) is not combine your volumes 1 and 2. Then, in order to show Goodreads members that you've read that book (for compare books or other purposes) I'd also add another full version of the book to your shelves. In the review field, if you want, you can put links to volumes 1 & 2 of the book(s) you actually read. Does that make sense?

It comes up a lot. I read His Dark Materials as one book but also added the three books to my shelves separately for compare books purposes; they're really 3 books.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Oh, and the reason I wouldn't combine is that some members might have read only volume 1 or volume 2.

It's not a perfect system, but I think my solution will work. It adds an extra book, or two depending on how you look at it, to your shelf but the one time this came up for me, in my opinion, even though it didn't feel that comfortable to me, it wasn't a huge deal.

message 7: by Carla (new)

Carla (whitelady) | 6 comments Lisa, I guess your system makes sense. I already add some editions in english, because I couldn't find or add (due to lack of time) the portuguese versions of them. Guess it gives you a little work but it's better than nothing. :D

Christina Stind | 60 comments I understand why you would want to do it like that, Lisa - but I just don't like it...
I want my shelves to be correct and to reflect the accurate number of books I've read (that's why I haven't added anything I read before I became a member) so I don't want Anna Karenina to count as two books...
I admit that I'm a bit of a control freak with this - but taken that into consideration, don't you think my idea of adding the two volumes as one book and noting it in the description, will be the best way to do it?

message 9: by Lisa (last edited Nov 17, 2008 05:48AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Christina, Yes, you can manually add it and do that. I understand and basically agree with all of your explanation.

Edit: I'd put all the information you have for both volumes in the book description field. There's a lot of room there so add all the information you have. Thanks. It will make it easier for other members to find that 2 volume book and add it to their shelves. If it has 2 ISBN or similar numbers, add them to that field as well.