The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > The Hour I First Believed; Wally Lamb

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianeld) I had high hopes for this book, and although it's very good (parts), it is not the page turner I had hoped for. I still have another 300 pages to go (it's 750+ pages). What are your thoughts?

Maranda (addlebrained_reader) (mannadonn) | 133 comments That saddens me. I want to read this book because I loved I Know This Much is True...

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie I hated She's Come Undone so much that I'm not sure I could give another one of his books a shot, but I did think that I Know This Much is True looked interesting. The Hour I First Believed really doesn't look like something I'd read.

Maranda (addlebrained_reader) (mannadonn) | 133 comments I have heard many bad things about She's Come Undone but I have never read it. However, I do recommend I Know This Much is True whenever I can. I wonder if there are any other opinions out there...

Anyone read both these books and can give an honest assessment of thier similarities and/or differences?

message 5: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments I loved Couldn't Keep It to Myself: Wally Lamb and the Women of York Correctional Institution
But this was non-fiction.

I readShe's Come Undone
It was OK...not anything special for me.

message 6: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments I can not wait to read this book! I KNOW THIS MUCH IS TRUE is one of my favorites.

message 7: by Theresa Shook (new)

Theresa Shook | 2 comments Hello..I loved "Shes come undone" the second time i read it..when I was in my 20's I hated the book and wasnt able to get past 25 pages...but when I was in my 30's I read it again and now it is one of my favorite books !

message 8: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments Theresa, I hated She's Come Undone my first time too! I was 20 when I read it- long before it was an Oprah book. I had read a review and they made it sound like it was going to be a funny book-so far off the mark!!! I read it again years later when it was an Oprah book and everyone was going on and on about it and I really liked it.

I loved I Know This Much is True and both books written by the women of York Correction-I'l Fly Away and Couldn't Keep it to Myslef.

Is this new book out yet or do you have an advanced copy?

Maranda (addlebrained_reader) (mannadonn) | 133 comments Joanie,

The Hour I First Believed came out last Tuesday so you should be able to find it anywhere...

message 10: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments Great, thanks!

message 11: by Marsha (new)

Marsha I really enjoy Wally Lamb's work. I'm going to see him read 12/3 and can't wait!

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Just finished this book and I thought it was AMAZING!! Favorite read of 08!

message 13: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments I just got this for Christmas. I couldn't resist reading a little even though I'm technically reading Sookie book #2. I'm so happy to be reading Wally Lamb again-I've missed his stuff!