harry potter haters discussion

Why Harry Potter sucks

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

Lauren Marie Why do books like Harry Potter suck?
a. They're boring
b. Completely uncreative plot
c. Way too complicated
d. It just sucks

you can't explain why books suck, they just do

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Rachel Yes, but then youre not enjoying it.

message 3: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Kenzie You don't have to enjoy something to read it.

message 4: by Roni (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Roni (V_A_B) i so agree with you mckenzie. you don't have to like it even though it is "good" and you can love something that is a completely crappy piece of writing. Plenty of people love science fiction, but (at least for teens i don't know about adults) most of it isn't very good. The one book I have EVER put down in the middle with no intention of ever finishing it was science fiction and the others I have read from that genre (mostly) aren't very good.
Usually it's the formula books, especially from the authors who pump out 5 novels a year, the ones in it for money, who aren't very good at producing quality writing. sometimes you will find that they wrote maybe one or two good books or, rarely, they are actually good quality authors(like dr. suess).
now my point is, some people think the quality of the writing is very good and others dont and like it or dislike it for that reason. Others will judge it either way (or even somewhere in between) regardless of the quality, or thier opinion of the quality. This is exactly how harry potter is. If you have read it you can judge it however you like. You could judge on quality, plot, genre, or even writing stlye, or you could judge by a combination of these. The only thing you should never judge a book by is it's cover or title or apperance in any way. Judging a book is like judging people.
That is all I have to say to every one of you. I will not reveal my opinion of harry potter as it does not matter to what I am saying. But listen to what I am saying, for it is not just applying to harry potter, I am talking about all writing.

message 5: by Sonny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Sonny Watching how Rowling created a perfectly good premise and hook and wrote so badly and long without killing it is part of the enjoyment of it. By writing badly, I mean not just that it's children's level prose that's written awkwardly instead of stylishly, but all the off-seeming extra features of the imaginary world she created. The preachiness about moral issues and the awareness of the characters of the extreme dangers of life in the world of wizards seem to come and go inconsistently according to the temporary needs of parts of each book's plot.

You don't have to think something is all good to like reading it a bit and imagining what it could have been.

message 6: by Jason (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Jason (Gireesh42) Good point, Sonny. She does have some fun stuff in there that she managed to brutalize. Like the story of the hallows, is sort of good legend material, but was woven in so awkwardly. The interaction between the past and the present could have been flushed out, creating a richer tapestry of history rather than providing back stories as needed.

Just imagine what the HP world would have been like in the 16th century. You've got Queen Elizabeth, known as the Fairy Queen, manipulating the muggle world with her wizard connections. Or even better: Henry VIII! No wonder he shat in the Pope's face! He had a bloody army of wizards backing up his divorce! Sweet.

Wow...I think JK owes me for this one--she's got a whole 'nother series on her hands.

message 7: by Kidz (new)

Kidz | 10 comments hello every body i just joined so i could say that everybody here that achuley is a harry potter hater is dumb.

message 8: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) | 639 comments wow katie, that language is kinda harsh... i, personally, would have tried to be a bit more creative... but i agree with you!

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie  | 279 comments what? that is creative. that "kidz" is like signing that EVERYWHERE. what else am i supposed to do?

message 10: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) | 639 comments well... ur right, that WAS creative... and kidz hasnt posted SINCE then, and i dont think that he/she will even come BACK here...

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie  | 279 comments good.

message 12: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) | 639 comments lol, be nice! :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

egh.
katie-snowfoot last few posts.

message 14: by Jamain (new)

Jamain (justcallmeJJ) The book is just to long and I get easily confused. And the book is sort of boring.

s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§» In regards to the first comment:
1 - The seventh and sixth were boring, I agree, but I don't think the others were really.
2 - I think she was rather creative, so I disagree on that point.
3 - So it's complicated but boring?

Jamain, maybe you just shouldn't read them then.

message 16: by Little Sparrow (new)

Little Sparrow (Ella) (LittleSparrow) I totally agree with Kenz. Except that the sixth book wasn't too good and the seventh was actually ok.
((Is that good typing, Kenzie?))

message 17: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) | 639 comments okay, i liked the books. i know, all u ppl who dont know me are staring at ur comp screen, mouths hanging open. lol, i like hp! but at the same time, i dislike it for reasons i posted elsewhere... somewhere... lol! anyway, this group was not created to be a place for the lovers to trash the haters. it was created so that ppl who dislike hp could hv sumplace to discuss their hate w/o feeling like they have to always defend their opinion. (hopefully i got that rite... i was just guessing)

message 18: by Jamain (new)

Jamain (justcallmeJJ) I didn't say all of them are. But I still like the movies.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

how can you not like the books but like the movies? it's the same plot and charcters! and the plot is ver creative! i haven't found another book about teenage wizards who fight against evil beings.

message 20: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) | 639 comments malienda? u hvnt read enough then. try the young wizards series by Diane Duane (hope i spelled her name rite). they're pretty good. and i dislike the movies more than the books, so... i dont get how u could like the movies more... think they leave out WAY too much... i wanted to see Peeves! lol!

s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§» ((What do you mean by 'is that good typing, Kenzie?'))

I think you spelled it right SS. (Snowsong)
I wanted to see Peeves too! But I loved the fifth HP movie! Incredible! Except Daniel Radcliff and Emma Watson. I loved Belatrix! (sp?)

message 22: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) | 639 comments mwh, bella was okay... and it wasnt the best movie, or the worst, so i wa happy. lol, thats the first time i been called SS... makes me think of a boat, lol!

message 24: by Morgan (new)

Morgan  | 31 comments Harry Potter RULES What do you have agingst him???

message 25: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) I don't believe magic and wizards and stuff are really 'good', to me it's more like witchcraft, and so I don't care for books like Harry Potter. Some books and movies with 'magic' in them (a few disney movies, LOTR) I don't have too much of a problem with, but the Harry Potter craze is rather disturbing to me.

message 26: by Morgan (new)

Morgan  | 31 comments Well I like to read it so who likes twlight?

message 27: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) Not me.

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie  | 279 comments thank you for sharing Morgan, so know that u people have an estimate of why we prefer otehr things besides harry potter, can u leave please?

message 29: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) | 639 comments why is this group suddenly so anti-hplovers? if they dont criticize us, i see no problem in them being here... but, i am one of us all, so my voice duz not rule, lol! anyways...

message 30: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) I'm not exactly 'anti-hplovers'. I just get frustrated when people who love Harry Potter come in this group and completely ignore who this group is for and what it is about-Harry Potter haters/dislikers sharing why they don't like it.

s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§» All we want to do is argue, simply because we are bored and find this entertaining. (At least Ella and I do.) You all seem eager to comply, and you don't get nearly as mad as some of the other groups I've been in. So thanx to everyone!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

ok, so one other series. wow. there sure are a lot of other books about young wizard in a school of magic fighting evil peoples.

message 33: by Katie (new)

Katie  | 279 comments okay, once again Kenz, u totally proved the point of Saved By Grace and I am trying to discuss. If you don't agree with this and the only thing u wanna do is..."All we want to do is argue, simply because we are bored and find this entertaining. (At least Ella and I do.) You all seem eager to comply, and you don't get nearly as mad as some of the other groups I've been in. So thanx to everyone!"

OMGosh! Seriously, this little paragraph of urs made me puck in my mouth and virtually spit it at u online. So Kenz, if you find this entertaining, to push people's buttons and make them mad, then get a life! You do this in other groups? (make them mad and see what they do) Right now, I am rather disgusted. Why, Kenz, are you in this group, besides that you are bored and find it entertaining? Because if that isn't bullying, (to torture people for entertainment) then what is?

s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§» I was being sarcastic.

Katie, you can't take comments people say that seriously. And spitting?

message 35: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) Yes, the spitting was a little much. She has a point though-this isn't the place for sarcasm. We're all just getting very frustrated that you won't be a little nicer or leave, and in our frustration, some of us have gotten very sarcastic and angry in turn.

It's a chain reaction, rather like yawning. Or you could say it's kind of like 'when mom is having a bad day, everyone has a bad day'. When you are, as you described yourself, annoying or rude and won't stop, some here get annoyed and frustrated and mad.

It affects everyone. And the fact that-sarcastic or not-you seem to enjoy all of this says a lot about your character. You know that you are pushing people's buttons and frustrating them, and yet you aren't stopping and find it amusing.

How many times must we go over this? Please, everyone-either talk about why you dislike/hate Harry Potter civilly. Or, if you are one of those few Harry Potter lovers who joined to amuse yourself and care little about how you act, then maybe this isn't the group for you. Especially if you can't talk about something relevant to this group and its purpose, respect those who actually joined to talk about why they dislike Harry Potter, or be nice about it.

s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§» You'll enjoy my newest post on the other thing too than. I'm just staying out of this from now on. You say to be the same way you are off-line, and so I am. Sarcastic, ditzy, and annoying. I'm just the way I am. Sorry if you don't like it.

message 37: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) You are quitting this group? Maybe I should too. Since I'm honest offline, I'll be honest online. I can't stand this. I loved this site, it was amazing, finally there were people who loved talking about books and were not ashamed to admit it. I enjoyed having conversations with other intelligent, respectful adults. (Though I did run into a few who were less than pleasant, but for the most part it wasn't so)

Then came the Twilight craze, and coincidentally or not, suddenly there were so very many girls younger than myself. At first I enjoyed it, made a few friends-I now have some AMAZING friends that are younger than me-but there were also those few. This is a book website, though it is social. It's not for teenage drama or who hates the other person more or who can get this person more annoyed. It isn't for people who are bored and want to get people mad at them.

It's for people who are serious about discussing books, book ideas, poems, and short stories with others and sharing their writing and their book recommendations. People who are crazy about books, not about arguing and mars candy and who knows what else, unless its about a book.

I can't stand it. There, I was blunt again-I'm getting more blunt offline too. PLEASE do not turn this site into disgusting, annoying, frustrating myspace-like drivel. We like books or we hate them or we haven't read them so please why don't we talk about THAT instead of how people are bad who won't stop eating candy, or stupid because they don't like Harry Potter...

You're online, no one really knows you, it's a clean slate. This could and should be the chance you take to show off your BEST side, to reach down really deep and go 'oh, I'm NOT just sarcastic and ditzy and annoying. I'm creative and I have this great idea for books and I love reading such and such a book...'

I think I'm done. I'm not sure. Was this my longest post in this group ever?

message 38: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) | 639 comments well saved by grace, if it wasnt ur longest one, i dont think i could sit still long enough to read a longer one. sorry, i get antsy in like, a minute... and i liekd twilight, but it was just another spectacular book, which i have read many of. how old are you anyway? i always incorrectly assume that this place is full of nothing but people my own age, and... whoops! u know? anyway, srry if this sounds mean, but i hv to say it: "if you dont like it, then why read those topics?" there, its out... and i feel slightly sad... *sigh* oh well... i know that if i dont want to read about sumthin, i dont... unless its a REALLY good book, then... *sigh* darn the alluring pull of books! lol!

message 39: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) I'm almost 19 and in college. I read Twilight as well, though I shouldn't have.

What I mean is...well, I must be slightly biased. At first, all the new people were exciting and great and I was 'yay, more people are coming to this site and discovering how awesome it is!' Then I found a ton of them were preteens and so many were creating insane groups, swearing to high heaven, and constantly using text language, screaming about Twilight and swearing and totally hating on those who didn't like it (myself-there's a nice little bit of history behind that), and it just put me off. I did make some great friends though-Veronique, Brigid, Sella, Laina, Seth, and others.

I've also noticed that my older friends don't talk to me much at all. I'm not sure if being with the 'younger' crowd has anything to do with it, but oh well.

I read these topics because they are a part of this group, which I am a member of. Why wouldn't I read them? It's just that it is almost painful, because, you know, I was so happy that there were other people that disliked Harry Potter. And instead of Harry Potter disliking, this group has been reduced to constant arguing-not debating, there's a huge difference-some name calling, etc.
I hate it when something starts out great or has great potential and then it is gone just like that.

message 40: by Katie (new)

Katie  | 279 comments Kenz, you are NOT being sarcastic! And i no sarcastic!

message 41: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) | 639 comments ya, i know what u mean saved by grace... and i use text abbrv cuz they is shorter, and im kinda lazy... and im 16, and can understand what you mean about younger people annoying the craziness outta you... *thinks of ppls* ya... not mentioning names, cuz that would be mean, specially if they come here and read it, but... *sigh* and the younger ppls rnt ALL bad.... i know quite a few that im great frends with! *winces at amount of text abbrv. in post* soory about that... i kinda do it without thinking anymore...

message 42: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) It's okay...that's not exactly what I meant, and I do have some awesome younger friends. I meant the younger kids whose sentences are pretty much ONLY numbers and abbreviations. As if they don't have the slightest idea how to spell.
Younger people not being all bad...I know they aren't. I mentioned, in my previous post, quite a few I am friends with. :)

Anyway,

Harry Potter is annoying, even though all I've really seen of the movies are the previews and like two minutes when I was flipping through channels. I mean, "Ooh, I'm Harry Potter, I'm so gifted, so cool, I'm awesome at that really weird game with the flying ball-thing that's alive!"

There, I got that out of the way and my posts have some relevance to what this group is about.

message 43: by Katie (new)

Katie  | 279 comments Yeah, I mean, he get's annoying...to me anyway...when everyone worships him. I mean it's bad enough that the Miley Cyrus propaganda has reached anything from shoe pillows to actual shoes, but putting Harry Potter, Lord of the rings, spongebob, and all of those other things out for sale, excessively. It is beyond annoying and I, personally think that people should cut down on things, and maybe then, it won't get so overbearing!

message 44: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) | 639 comments yeah, i can u twos's points. advertising is dumb, and most of those things make me laugh at their stupidity. lol saved by grace! i LOVE ur summary of hp! its not entirely accurate, but i like it anyway!

message 45: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) Thanks, Snowsong! But of course it's not accurate, I only watched like two minutes of it, and that is what I saw. It was all he was so great and gifted and everything just came to him...I don't know. I was immediately put off besides the fact that I don't watch those kind of movies so I changed the channel.

message 46: by Katie (new)

Katie  | 279 comments I think that the movies are strange, because they don't seem kid-friendly in anyway. I mean, i know children who are obsessed with him, dress up for him at Halloween, etc. Obivously, younger children know that stuff and watch the movies.

message 47: by Rose (new)

Rose  | 37 comments Ok sorry I only read the first and last posts in this discussion.
In reply to Lauren: you might think that the books are boring, and that's fine. but you simply cannot say that they're uncreative. The plot is pretty original - depending on how vague you go - I mean it's the basic good beats evil plot, but really other than that you've got to give Rowling a high five for originality. All the little gizmos ( i love that word) she comes up with and the whole story line - it's amazing... there are a couple things i might have done differently, though as seen below.

In reply to Katie: In general, as long as the child can understand the book it's really absolutely fine for them to watch/read it. Though I'm pretty sure that Rowling did not intend the book to be so widely popular among children and young adults.

message 48: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) | 639 comments *reads katie's post* to say or not to say... sure, y not... k, so ur sayin that more educational shows r bad too, cuz kids dress up like the characters for halloween? srry, just had to try and get the whole picture...

message 49: by Katie (new)

Katie  | 279 comments that really isn't relevent to what I was talking about. I was trying to make a point about how younger kids shouldn't be reading the book, and therefore, Harry Potter becomes a bad influence, because of all the things that make it bad, such as playing with wands and creating magic, which is totally unrealistic...and if you are going to ask, because you usually do, about how everything else has wands and magic...I would anwser it like this, 'This is a group for dislikers to come together, in the fact, that they want to discuss THIS book, not anyother one. SO, please don't ask that question or anyother question about other things that do not pretain to HP!

message 50: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) | 639 comments k, i'll stick to hp relevant q's from now on, no prob! this book can also teach good things though too, like the value of friendship. cuz if u notice, harry kinda alwasy has his friends with him to help through anything that might come up

« previous 1