Oly Reads discussion

Book Group Meetings > Oly Reads Book Discussion FIVE!

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Agathafrye (new)

Agathafrye | 751 comments Mod
So, we just had a raucous crowd get together for our fifth book discussion group. The people are evermorphing and ever-delightful- we had a pretty big group of ten this time. We started at the Royal for one drink (mmmmmango), then moved to the Spar when folks got hungry. Non-book discussion included the history of A1 steak sauce, some library gossip, Harry Potter's penis, and the show Dexter, among other random topics. Here's the list of books we all talked about (also on the Oly Reads "read" shelf, because someone read them):
* King Dork by Frank Portman (this one was controversial- panned and picked depending on who you asked)
* Debbie Harry Sings in French by Meagan Brothers
* What It Is by Lynda Barry
* Tweak: Growing up on Methamphetamines by Nic Sheff
* Life Sucks by Jessica Abel
* Marked (House of Night series) by P.C. Cast
* The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
* Cats in Cyberspace by Beth Hilgartner
* The Alcoholic by Dean Haspiel
* Through the Eyes of the Judged by various incarcerated youth
* The Gunslinger (Dark Tower series) by Stephen King
* Escape by Carolyn Jessop
* Ivy by Julie Hearn
* The Secret Knowledge of Grown-ups by David Wisniewski
* Undead and Unwed (Undead series) by MaryJanice Davidson
* Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
* You Suck: a Love Story by Christopher Moore
* Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin (consensus: great book, terrible ending)
* The Hoboken Chicken Emergency by Daniel Manus Pinkwater

I'll let others chime in from here... looking forward to next time!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 259 comments Mod
I had a great time, with lots of laughs, tonight at the book group. I really want to read Lynda Barry's new book! I'm intrigued by Shari's description of it as a mix of memoir and writing exercises.
I love how we always seem to draw our waitstaff into the conversation. I hope our waitress is inspired to go home and read something fun tonight!

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate HI All, I didn't make it, I needed to take a break instead, the weekend is too short and I had too much going on. Sounds like I missed a good one. Was a plan made for the next one?

message 4: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 22 comments I had a blast -- I'm so glad I went!
Looking forward to next time (Januaryish?)

message 5: by Agathafrye (new)

No worries Kate! As long as there's sustained interest, there will be another time. We're going to meet again in January, possibly at Judy (jpitchford) and her husband John's house. I kind of coerced them into having it, so I'll leave it to them to let us know if they really want to have it or if it was just the bourbon furnaces talking.

Forgot to mention: three new people attended this time- Sheri, Judy, and her husband John. There were also three return members from the infamous first meeting where we ended up rolling on the hill- Kristi, JD, and Kelsie (all troublemakers). Jackie and her husband Chris, Nitescribe (Alex), and myself rounded out the group.

Oh yeah, our waitress was reading "Eat Pray Love." Hurl. She didn't seem totally thrilled with it, either.

message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy (jpitchford) | 40 comments Yep, we're up for being the next hosts. Not a problem. Let me know if there are any Saturdays in January to stay away from.

message 7: by Agathafrye (new)

Maybe just the first Saturday of the month... otherwise, I'm flexible.

message 8: by Agathafrye (new)

Make that, maybe NOT just the first Saturday of the month, for the sake of clarity.

message 9: by Kristi (new)

Kristi | 48 comments Bourbon Furnace. Olyreads favorite fall cocktail.

6 oz hot apple cider
3 whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon
1 1/2 oz Elijah Craig Bourbon

Combine in stemmed mug and serve immediately.

message 10: by Kristi (new)

Kristi | 48 comments p.s. I'm not plugging that brand of bourbon. It was a copy and paste thing.

message 11: by Judy (new)

Judy (jpitchford) | 40 comments Yummy! I will practice making this most wonderful of cocktails so that it will be perfect by January's meeting

Now, if only we could figure out a way to make it glow...
;)

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate Judy, I don't know how it goes for the rest of the group but in my family the MLK holiday weekend is reserved for multiple birthday celebrations. That would probably be the 3rd weekend. Any chance that either the 2nd or 4th works best for everyone?

message 14: by Kelsie (last edited Nov 17, 2008 02:07PM) (new)

Kelsie (kelsierubich) | 18 comments Woo! Troublemakers in the house!! ;)
So, I have two ideas for the glowing bourbon furnace:

1. Get some of those floatie deals for tea light candles (the kind you can use in a pond) and plop one into the glass. (You would most definately have to drink this one with a straw!)

2. Get some tiny glowsticks (do they make these?) and drop 'em into the glass.

Anyway, it was great to hang with all of you! I had a great time and came away with some great book recommendations. I'm excited for our next meeting! Do I recall mention of a hot tub?

message 15: by Agathafrye (new)

Tiny moistureproof glowsticks! Genius! Second or fourth Saturday in January are both A-OK for me. And Kristi, don't think I'm not aware of your stock in Elijah Craig bourbon...

message 16: by Judy (new)

Judy (jpitchford) | 40 comments I am so totally going to look for little glowsticks. There have to be some out there! The 2nd or 4th weekend sounds fine. Anyone have a problem with either of those?

I won't be here on January 24th, so the 2nd weekend works better for me.

message 18: by Merwyn (new)

Merwyn Haskett | 46 comments Too bad we missed it, but we were sleeping in preparation for All Freakin' Night (which, by the way, I made it all the way through.)

message 19: by Judy (new)

Judy (jpitchford) | 40 comments It's sounding like the 2nd weekend in january may be the winner...

message 20: by Agathafrye (new)

Sounds good to me! Judy, do you want your address out for the world to see, or should I put tell people to call/email for more information when I post the event? The events are visible to all of goodreads...

message 21: by Agathafrye (new)

ALSO: Rummy, how was All Freakin' Night this year?

message 22: by Kristi (new)

Kristi | 48 comments Got the whole dang family, Democrats and Republicans alike, all glowy on Bourbon Furnaces at yesterday's T-day feast. De-lish with Labrot & Graham Woodford Reserve (a gentleman's burbon as JD calls it).

Have a great weekend reading and relaxing! Thanks Agatha & Jackie the librarian for your mad moderation skills...

message 23: by Agathafrye (new)

No Elijah Craig bourbon, Kristi! You're going to lose your sponsorship kickbacks! Way to get the family liquored up- it sounds like you had a fabulous day. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, although my kitchen is now a hazardous zone. I'm going to try to read four books this weekend before I have to return them, but I suspect failure is likely.

I am soooooo full! Two days straight of Thanksgiving feasting, including three kinds of pie! Now I'm vegging out in front of The Princess Bride with mom.

Glad to hear the bourbon furnaces were such a hit, Kristi!