Nerdfighteria discussion

John Green
This topic is about John Green
Nerdy Books > The Best John Green Book

Comments (showing 1-50 of 64) (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) What, in your opinion, is the best John Green book ever written?
Is it Looking For Alaska, the awesomely depressing book about Miles and Alaska?
Is it An Abundance of Katherines, the humorously humorous book about a dude who's obsessed with girls named Katherine?
Is it Paper Towns?
Or Will Grayson, Will Grayson?
Or, do you just hope it's The Fault in Our Stars?

At the moment, I think Paper Towns is the best Green book. Hopefully TFIOS will even beat it!

message 2: by Kiana, ftl (new)

Kiana | 209 comments Mod
I'm rooting for TFIOS! But out of those, hmm... I'd have to agree with you about Paper Towns.

message 3: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) Paper Towns is AMAZING.

message 4: by Kiana, ftl (new)

Kiana | 209 comments Mod
It really is!!!

message 5: by Katharine (last edited Mar 27, 2012 12:10AM) (new)

Katharine (spellkatharine) | 3 comments I'd say it's a tie: Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns. Sure, they may be similar(especially the characters) but they are also different in so many ways . If I really HAD to choose between them, I'd say Paper Towns. I understand that LfA is a more popular choice but I really loved how Paper Towns delved into the issues of identity, self-discovery and what-not. Plus, the metaphors in the book were really, really well played out.

message 6: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) I agree with you in choosing PT over LfA. Another thing I have to say is that Paper Twons is simply more fun to read while still maintaining a sort of literary quality.

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat (SugarAddict) | 15 comments You forgot about Let It Snow!

I find that LFA and TFiOS were similar in mood, as for WG2 and AAK both had that looking-for-someone thing. Papertowns was in a class of it's own, and LIS (or at least Green's part) was a light romance with that hint of comedy that you like to curl up with during the winter.

message 8: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (ljulio06) | 1 comments paper towns is my favorite -- it is extremely relevant to my life, and it speaks to the idea of how we think about other people and how we connect with them, which is a subject i often find myself pondering.

message 9: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) I find Paper Towns is relevant to about everybody's life. The whole idea of not thinking of a person as more than a person is something that happens in everybody's life...you can't tell me you haven't thought of a person as perfect, knowing that they, in their own way, were just as flawed as you.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I LOVE ALL JOHN GREEN BOOKS. I CANNOT CHOOSE.

message 11: by Manfred (new)

Manfred Matela (MrSpoon) | 11 comments Well I've only read Looking for Alaska and The Fault In Our Stars, and I must say that I think LfA was way better than Tfios. For some reason I just thought Tfios was too predictable...
I did like Peter Van Houten's creepy appearance in the back seat though, made me laugh xD

message 12: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) See, I thought LfA was predictable too. Predictability doesn't always bother me though. I mean, as long as there's a good storyline behind it, I don't really care.

message 13: by Kiana, ftl (last edited Apr 12, 2012 03:46PM) (new)

Kiana | 209 comments Mod
I agree. I think most of us knew that in LfA, Alaska was going to die, and in TFiOS either Hazel or Augustus would die

message 14: by Muse (last edited Apr 13, 2012 04:28PM) (new)

Muse | 179 comments Haha. I didn't know.:P (view spoiler)

message 15: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) You guys need to hide those spoilers...We don't want to ruin endings.

message 16: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Welsh (KatrinaWelsh_) My favourites are The Fault In Our Stars and An Abundance of Katherines.
The writing and the characters just broke me in TFioS.
But I could relate to Colin in Katherines.

I haven't read Looking for Alaska in a long while though so, I'll give that one another go to see.

message 17: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) LfA is my third favorite of his.
...is it super nerdy that my JG books are organized in order of love? From mildly in love to ZOMGIEFFINGLOVEEVERYTHINGABOUTTHISBOOK!!!!!!!

message 18: by Manfred (new)

Manfred Matela (MrSpoon) | 11 comments Colby wrote: "LfA is my third favorite of his.
...is it super nerdy that my JG books are organized in order of love? From mildly in love to ZOMGIEFFINGLOVEEVERYTHINGABOUTTHISBOOK!!!!!!!"

That is absolutely super nerdy! But the nerdier the better I say :3

message 19: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) :D

message 20: by Claire (new)

Claire | 2 comments I'm in love with TFiOS,
but I guess my vote isn't very accurate because I haven't read paper towns yet /:

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

To be honest, I think that Looking for Alaska is amazing. But then again I love all his books and have read all of them. I just finished Paper Towns a week ago and it was amazing! Please read all his books.
DFTBA!

message 22: by Emma (new)

Emma (thepottergames98gmailcom) For me, it has to be TFiOS. It was an amazing book! John Green did a wonderful job to make you feel....well there is no feeling to describe it. But, Looking for Alaska would come in second.

message 23: by Hana (new)

Hana | 14 comments TFIOS and Will Grayson, Will Grayson are currently rap-battling for the title of my favorite. But I have a special place in my heart for Katherines, because it was the first one I read.

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna (annaa_gd) Paper Towns and An Abundance of Katherines :) can't choose between those two. I just love the characters.

message 25: by Hazel (new)

Hazel (Stay Bookish) (staybookish) Definitely TFIOS. I think it's awesome that John wrote the story through a girl's perspective flawlessly. Also, the issue that TFIOS deals with, disease, is more realistic than the issues in his other books.

Also, I have the share the same name with Hazel Lancaster. So call me biased.

message 26: by Melisa (new)

Melisa (melisaandnoble) | 1 comments I started with TFiOS, and although I read all of them, it is still TFiOS. There is this thing about it, and if you have read it, you would understand. All of John's books are amazing, but the feeling I get from TFiOS is like no other. Second would be Alaska..
I normally hate death in novels, but the aspect of death in both stories made it worthwhile.
That was hard, actually ordering my favorite John books. My heart hurts now.

message 27: by Myre (new)

Myre (ohmyre) | 2 comments I love Paper Towns the most!

message 28: by Mekayla (new)

Mekayla Sciuto | 1 comments My favorite would have to be Will Grayson, Will Grayson but, I don't know why. It just is.

message 29: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Morales | 1 comments I know that I might be a tad late on this post but I started with AAK and ended with PT but my favorite was and still is LfA. It's everything: romance, self-identity, religion, comedy. It's transformation which is apparent in all John Green books but yeah, LfA is my all-time favorite.

message 30: by Ally (new)

Ally (HeyyitsAlex) | 2 comments I going to be late also and say my favorite is definitely Paper Towns it was my first and will always be my favorite

message 31: by Aidan (new)

Aidan | 1 comments Paper Towns

message 32: by Salam (new)

Salam Almahi (Salam_Almahi) | 1 comments Looking for Alaska

message 33: by Marci (new)

Marci | 3 comments Anna wrote: "Paper Towns and An Abundance of Katherines :) can't choose between those two. I just love the characters."

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves An Abundance of Katherines. It's funny! And seemingly underrated.

message 34: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Moore | 1 comments Paper Towns is my favorite, but The Fault in our Stars is a close second.

message 35: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy (CassidyReadsSometimes) The Fault in Our Stars is my favorite, but I love Looking for Alaska

message 36: by K-L (new)

K-L (WeirdCityReport) | 3 comments I'd have to say Paper Towns. It was the very first JG book I had ever read, way back when Vlogbrothers was Brotherhood 2.0 - circa 2007.

message 37: by Sukriah (new)

Sukriah | 1 comments tfios..but i'm looking for looking for alaska..

message 38: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 2 comments For me, looking for Alaska is the best book of John green although tfios made me cry.

message 39: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Minyard | 4 comments mine has to be the Fault in our Stars. it is an epic love story in which the boy and the girl unfortunately both have different types of cancer. It leaves off very well, so I loved the book

message 40: by Annie (new)

Annie  | 2 comments I think right now looking for Alaska (for Me) but I don't want to pick one because what if he writes another one that I love more?

message 41: by Alisha (new)

Alisha | 1 comments This is a really late comment but I think it's Looking for Alaska. The characters are so intriguing and I love the mystery of it all

message 42: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 7 comments My favorites, best first :
tfios
paper towns
looking for Alaska
will grayson will grayson
aak
let it snow

I really liked Johns intro to Esther's book but that isn't a book

message 43: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Currie | 1 comments {WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS!}

Right so I thought that the hole predictability thing is kinda true. I could see that someone was going to die in TFIOS but honestly i thought it would be hazel but moving on, i didn't predict that alaska would die I thought the whole countdown thing was to the big prank, not the 'incident'. Well yeah thats my view

message 44: by Agus (new)

Agus | 6 comments My favourite John Books is tfios but I love the others so much. Paper Towns is like a masterpiece for me, so perfect.

message 45: by Anna (new)

Anna Lembke | 5 comments I would say that each one is better than the others in certain aspects.
Looking for Alaska is by far the most deep, philisophical book he has written. I would also say that it is the most realistic.
The characters in The Fault in Our Stars can't be bested by any of his others, and the feeling are more powerful in this one.
An Abundance of Katherines is the most nerdy and humorous.
Paper Towns is the easiest read, and has what I think is the most interesting plot.
Will Grayson Will Grayson has the most diverse, unconventional writing style.
So, all said, I could never say what my favorite is, but I am a sucker for good characters...

message 46: by Chris (last edited May 20, 2014 02:21PM) (new)

Chris (chriswill2012) | 1 comments I love all his books, but Looking For Alaska is hands down my favorite. It is nostalgic and beautiful and heart wrenching. I haven't read AAK, but this is the order I'd place them in from favorite to least favorite (though still in love with):
1. LfA
2. WG2
3. Paper Towns
4. TFIOS

message 47: by Devin (new)

Devin | 1 comments Thus far, I have read "Looking for Alaska," "The Fault in Our Stars" and "Paper Towns" and have been blown away by how much I enjoyed each of them.

However- if I have to choose the best- "Looking for Alaska" wins. It was original, refreshing, devastating, and all-encompassingly the perfect coming of age novel.

message 48: by Kassie (new)

Kassie (kassierosie) My favorite was TFIOS.

message 49: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lebel | 2 comments I realize it's his most popular book but I think tfios was fantastic and much different then paper towns, looking for Alaska, and an abundance of Katherine's which to me seemed like the same protagonist over and over. Not that they weren't great because they were too.

message 50: by Rachelandstuff (new)

Rachelandstuff | 6 comments If it was a 'gun-held-to-my-head' scenario, I would most likely pick Looking For Alaska. As much as I adore and love all of John Green's books, there was something about lfa that struck a chord with me.

Whether it was the depth and complicity of Alaska - screwed up and broken - or Miles simply searching for something to make him great, it was an incredible story & the characters felt like your friends - you knew them so well - their personalities jumping off of the page.
However I do feel that saying lfa is my favourite does not do his other books justice. If anything, I believe that all of his books are of the same immaculate standard.

There was just something about lfa.

I often say that a good book will do 4 things:
1) Make you laugh.
2) Make you cry.
3) Make you unable to stop thinking about the characters and the story for a considerable time after finishing it.
4) Make you think about a certain subject or theme - and if you have already thought about it, it tweaks your ideas, and makes you think more in depth.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread