You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Perfect Xmas movie?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I love watching a christmassy film in December and I have a certain few that I must watch every year near xmas:

The Holiday - such a cute film, I could watch it over and over again.

The Nightmare Before Christmas - Love this film. When I was at uni in Aberystwyth (I think it was for Halloween) they showed this in the cinema. Such an experience to see it on the big screen. Don't think the bf appreciated it though :)

The Muppet's Christmas Carol - My all time favourite :)

Elf - so very funny, when my mum laughs at Will Ferrell doing a huge burb you know it's good :P

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) What?! No It's a Wonderful Life Jenny?!

I also like to watch Miracle on 34th Street with the kids, lovely film, if a bit cheesy! (But what's Christmas without a bit of cheese?!)

message 3: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I've never seen 'It's a Wonderful Life' :O

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) OMG Jenny, you have to go out tomorrow and buy it! It is such a beautiful movie! Mind you, it's usually on TV at some point over the festive period! You MUST see it!

message 5: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I have been told! I will put it on my blockbuster list and watch it asap :)

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 52 comments I like Love, Actually

message 7: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Oh I forgot that one!! Love that film!!

message 8: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments It's a Wonderful Life is my favorite movie of all time!!!!! Plus, the fictional town is based on a small town not far from where I live. Sorta cool.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) What about a Charlie Brown Christmas?

I always liked the Disney version of A Christmas Carol, but it's nearly impossible to find these days.

I also like The Last Holiday. The one with Queen Latifah in it. It's not exactly a Christmas movie, but it occurs at around the same time.

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I loved the holiday...it was sooooooo cute.

message 11: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkibfabulous) You guys have picked some really great ones! The holiday's just don't seem right if I haven't seen "Miracle on 34th Street" Love It!!

I really enjoyed "Love, Actually," too. I am going to have to watch that one again, soon.

How about "A Christmas Story." I really like this one, too. It's so reminds me of Christmas as a kid.

message 12: by Melissa (last edited Nov 16, 2008 08:11AM) (new)

Melissa (melitious) Okay, let's see. I watch all of the Christmas movies I own on repeat from Thanksgiving through January! lol

Love, Actually
While You Were Sleeping
Muppet Christmas Carol
A Christmas Carol (George C. Scott version)
Scrooged
Miracle on 34th Street (the old version, which I don't actually own)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the Jim Carrey version)
Elf

And, Heather, do you mean Mickey's A Christmas Carol? It's on one of the Disney Christmas compilation DVDs.

And, I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life, but I think I will make an effort to actually watch it this year.

message 13: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments Nikki,

I agree "Miracle on 34th Street" is another one of my favorites. It has to be the old version though!

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie OMG how could I forget ELF!!! I love that movie!!!

Cottenheadedninnymuggins..=)

message 15: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 5 comments For me I love:

It's a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Story
Christmas Vacation

message 16: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments Elf and Christmas Vacation crack me up! They're great!!

message 17: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkibfabulous) Jamie,

Yes, it has to be the old one!

message 18: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkibfabulous) Oh, Stephanie I forgot ELF, too! Hilarious!

message 19: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) Oooh what's the Griswald's Christmas one? My hubby loves that film!

message 20: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments It's a wonderful life is on it's way :) Good old blockbuster. It best be good now :P

message 21: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) Oh you won't regret it Jenny!! Let us know how much you enjoy it :)

message 22: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 52 comments It's a Wonderful Life is a good movie! I hope you like it.

message 23: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments I tear up thinking about certain scenes. I'm such a cheese!

message 24: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Oh no not a boo hoo job!! I'm such a wimp with films!

message 25: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Young (hannahyoung) Aww, I love 'Miracle on 34th Street' too :) I've only seen the version with Mara Wilson in it though (didn't know there were other versions!) One of my favourite Christmas films is 'The Greatest Store in the World' - love it! Then of course there's 'The Snowman' and 'The Bear' if they count as films :)

message 26: by Jenny, honorary mod - inactive (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Watched It's a Wonderful Life. I loved it :) such a cute film. Reminded me of a Christmas Carol a little. Thanks for recommending it :) Has put me in the christmas spirit yay :)

message 27: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) Ah Jenny, so glad you enjoyed it! It is a classic :) We always try to watch it on Christmas Eve.

message 28: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristinalawhead) I think my ultimate christmas movies are A Christmas Story (NEVER gets old haha) and Rudolph! I could watch both over and over around Christmas and still love it each time. Always watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the original Boris Karloff one) Love the Mara Wilson Miracle on 34th St. too!

I also like A Charlie Brown Christmas but I don't know it that well, and I like to watch Beauty and the Beast and Harry Potter around that time.

message 29: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice Definitely 'It's a Wonderful Life'. I have never missed a year in watching it. :)

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 147 comments Ok all you old movie fans, here are two for the season you need to see: "The Bishop's Wife" (Cary Grant and Loretta Young and David Niven) and a fabulous sleeper called "It Happened on Fifth Avenue."

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 147 comments Judy wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Ok all you old movie fans, here are two for the season you need to see: "The Bishop's Wife" (Cary Grant and Loretta Young and David Niven) and a fabulous sleeper called "It Happe..."

You'll love them. I promise. Plus the choral scene in Bishop is lovely.

message 32: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Hmmm my favourite (forgive the kid in me) are The Grinch, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman and White Christmas (I adore Bing Crosby).

message 33: by Alice (new)

Alice I really like Elf, a nightmare before Christmas and Love actually.

message 34: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Alice wrote: "I really like Elf, a nightmare before Christmas and Love actually."

Love A Nightmare Before Christmas and Elf!

message 35: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments Kimberly wrote: "Hmmm my favourite (forgive the kid in me) are The Grinch, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman and White Christmas (I adore Bing Crosby)."

You are allowed to be a kid at Christmas.

message 36: by Alison (new)

Alison Forde | 269 comments Going t my sister's tomorrow for an wevening of christmas related crafting and White Christmas viewing - Sisters, sisters, there were never such devoted sisters

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51511 comments Alison wrote: "Going t my sister's tomorrow for an wevening of christmas related crafting and White Christmas viewing - Sisters, sisters, there were never such devoted sisters"

Debra and Almeta, would you agree with Alison's last comment?

*stirring up trouble*

message 38: by Alison (new)

Alison Forde | 269 comments I enjoyed Bad Santa last night - not one for family viewing!

message 39: by Kimberly (last edited Dec 22, 2011 11:08AM) (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Alison wrote: "Going t my sister's tomorrow for an wevening of christmas related crafting and White Christmas viewing - Sisters, sisters, there were never such devoted sisters"

I've been singing that for days, unfortunately I don't enjoy my sister's company very often lol.

message 40: by Kim (last edited Dec 23, 2011 06:12PM) (new)

Kim (catmommie) Christmas Vacation and White Christmas - I always cry when Bing's singing it to the troop in the mess hall

message 41: by B (new)

B Our family begins the season by watching Elf at Thanksgiving then on Christmas Eve we watch It's a Wonderful Life. :)

My favorite Christmas movie of all time is The Bishop's wife with Cary Grant and Loretta Young and I find an evening to watch it every year!