Horror Leisure Book Club! discussion

Monthly reads > Beware Discussion (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 231 comments Mod
Here's where we post only SPOILERS! If you haven't finished the book don't read any of the posts in this topic. Enjoy!

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks... I really didn't care for the book all that much. Too much nonsense and too many random things, like - gee I'm a random guy who's going to try to pick you up at a pool and I just happen to know a guy who has already been dealing with your issue... etc

message 3: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 75 comments I really liked it. Of course, I'm a Laymon fan anyway, but this was especially fun to read for me. I picked it up at the store and wound up reading the first 40-50 pages standing there in the aisle.

Books don't grab me right away like that very often. I must have been in just the right mood for it.

I don't always like to have every little plot device explained to me. Makes me feel like I'm being talked down to. I like figuring out things and feel that some things just happen and don't really need an explanation.
I've randomly started talking to people before. Usually when they are doing something interesting to me or having a problem. Like reading books I like or having computer problems. So that didn't bother me at all.

although, I bet if I read it again, some things WILL bother me. The first time I read a book (or watch a film) I read for the entertainment and don't look for things like mistakes. Unless they are so glaring I can't ignore them!

That's why talking about them is fun for me. We all see things differently and I'm always curious as to other opinions. there have even been a few times when my opinion was changed because of it! Rarely, but it happened! -grin-

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) I loved the beginning, until it turned out to be an invisible man... but then I was able to swallow that, until we got to all of the voodoo and it just became "too much magic for just one book" to be scary to me. I really hated to Private Inv. Character... they played him up to be some Dirty Harry type and in reality he added NOTHING to the story at all... he didn't come up with any solutions, have any special ideas, or even any decent skills. His whole bit could have been cut from the story. Then you have the voodoo folks who can do all sorts of magic, and obviously want to do harm to folks... so why can't they find the invisible man with all of the divination skills etc?

I guess my problem with it was that I have to be able to believe in it to find something scary... but there was just too much over the top stuff for me to buy into it enough to be scared.

message 5: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 75 comments Yeah, the invisible man was a bit much for me as well. I groaned out loud at that one.

I am of the opposite feeling about the PI/assassin. I felt he helped tie the story together and offered relief from the main characters at times. I feel that you need to have a secondary story for that reason. It gives you time to mull over what's going on with the main people. Kind of a little break in the action.
Although to be honest, his character was kinda thin. A little more commitment to him would have helped a lot, IMHO. More fleshing out of the character.

I know what you mean about being able to believe in the story though. We might disagree on this one but I am the same as you really. Even though it's obviously fiction, it has to make some sort of sense in my mind for me to enjoy the story.

I think that may be one of the hardest things for a writer. Putting in enough info to make most readers happy while not boring them or coming across as condescending. It's not an easy task!