Axis Mundi X discussion

The Hunt for Bin Laden story - new book out

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
From Military.com article:

Writing under the name "Dalton Fury," the Delta Force commander -- a major at the time - gives a detailed look in "Kill bin Laden: A Delta Commander's Account of the Hunt for the World's Most Wanted Man" how the unit prepared for, planned and executed its complicated mission.

For Delta, it was an unprecedented task. A force best know for lightning-fast counterterrorism raids, long range reconnaissance and high value target snatches, the operators on the Tora Bora mission had to work a hybrid plan that combined unconventional warfare, intelligence collection, long-range logistics and close air support - all while waiting for the call to swoop down on an Osama hideout at a moment's notice.

"We went into a hellish land that was considered impregnable and controlled by al Qaeda leaders who had helped defeat the Soviet Union," Fury writes. "We killed them by the dozen. Many more surrendered. ... And we heard the demoralized -- bin Laden speak on the radio, pleading for women and children to fight for him."

"Then he abandoned them all and ran from the battlefield," Fury adds with some satisfaction. "Yes. He ran away."

Wow... I'm going to be fascinated to read this first hand account of what went down on the ground out there. These guys tried their best, I'm more or less certain. I'm looking forward toward the insight that this book promises.

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
It should be a good read. I'll have to get it. thanks for highlighting it.