Horror Aficionados discussion

The Tomb of Terminated Threads > Books you love from Genres you hate

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ravenskya (new)

Ravenskya  (ravenskya) Since we all love horror here, I thought you guys would be a good crew to ask this of:

We all have genres that we avoid like the plauge... but what are books from those genres that you loved?

For Example: I hate Romance, Scifi, and Westerns

However I loved "Ender's Game" from the Scifi Genre... for a while it was in my mental list of top 50 books ever read.

I don't much care for Fantasy but I LOVED the Lord of the Rings series and the Narnia books.

Hows about you guys?

message 2: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 177 comments I don't like mysteries, but I love Raymond Chandler -- at least, The Big Sleep and Farewell My Lovely, which are the two I've read.

I'm not a Western fan either (at least, I assume I'm not -- never really read them) but Lonesome Dove is one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read.

message 3: by Ravenskya (new)

Ravenskya  (ravenskya) I have often wondered if that is when a book trancends from just being fiction to being literature. If it goes beyond it's genre and becomes accessable to everyone... even those of us who may not be fans of that type of book.

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Cathy, I hate westerns but couldn't get enough of Lonesome Dove.

I don't care for most science fiction, but like Bradbury and books like Darwin's Radio.

message 5: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 25 comments I don't like westerns either. I have Lonesome Dove but haven't read it yet. Is it really good? I also don't like mystery or crime as much. I'm going to give them a try though.

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Dylan, you won't want Lonesome Dove to end. It's fantastic. I envy you your first read.

message 7: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 25 comments Well then, I'll have to start it soon than. :D

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 139 comments Rob, The Time Traveler's Wife is shelved in fiction at the Bookstore that I work at. I think its more fiction than romance. But thats probably a matter of opinion.

As for me, I am not so much into Romance, but a friend highly recommended "Silent Honor" by Danielle Steele. You can't get anymore "romance" than that and I truly hesitated. I read it and found myself really intrigued. It's about the Japanese internment camps during WWII. I have to say I really enjoyed it. I can't imagine me reading any other Danielle Steele's anytime soon, but I have to say that this one got me.

message 9: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 25 comments I for one like the romance genre. Well at least Nicholas Sparks. I was teary eyed after seeing The Notebook, and I've started reading it too. IMO, it's way better! He has a beautiful narrative writing style. If you like romance, then I suggest anything by this author! :D

message 10: by Mrsbear (new)

Mrsbear (msbear21) | -5 comments I don't like sci-fi but loved Robert A. Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. I listened to the audio book while at work and couldnt get enough.

message 11: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 25 comments I'd like to read that one too! :D

message 12: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I've never read Stranger in a Strange Land either. But I'll put it on my list.

About Danielle Steel: I guess I'm a snob about her books, but I remember reading her first ever book called The Promise and really enjoying it. It's got a premise all women love: A mousy woman is in love with a rich, handsome man, but his mother is against the relationship. The woman has a car accident that disfigures her face, and the mother pays her off with plastic surgery to stay away from her son. Suffice it to say they meet back up later. It's actually an enjoyable story, and I'm sure Steel's other books are very readable. I just can't bring myself to crack open any of her others.

I detest chicklit but enjoyed The Devil Wears Prada and Bridget Jones' Diary.

message 13: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 0 comments Tressa...that description of that Steele book makes me want to throw away all my horror and delve into romance lit..................NOT. :-)

message 14: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 25 comments No kidding. Just because there's sex in the book doesn't make it good. I love Sarah Piborough, but not because of the sex scenes. I basically skin read those parts.

message 15: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 0 comments He said skin....huhuhuhuhuh! (old beavis and butthead reference!)

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments "Tressa...that description of that Steele book makes me want to throw away all my horror and delve into romance lit..................NOT. :-)"

LOL. Aw, Acknud, I figured you for a closet Steel fan. Are you sure you don't have a big paper sack in your basement stuffed full of Steel's finest?

As a young lady with romance on the brain, that Steel book served me well and satisfied me greatly...that one time. I swear it was only that one time!

I'm not going soft guys, I'm deep into Carrion Comfort and loving every minute of it. It's deliciously, frighteningly scary.

message 17: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 0 comments I just finished the closest I will come to romance. Check out You suck by Christopher Moore.

message 18: by Ravenskya (new)

Ravenskya  (ravenskya) I hope you read the first one in the series before digging into You Suck! I LOVE Christopher Moore

message 19: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 25 comments What's the first one?

message 20: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 0 comments I didn't know it was a series. What is first?

message 21: by Ravenskya (new)

Ravenskya  (ravenskya) Bloodsucking Fiends is the first one, then "You Suck" then sort of a side story is "Dirty Jobs" which was my fav of the three. I have to admit, I prefered "Bloodsucking Fiends" to "You Suck"

message 22: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 0 comments I just got Bloodsucking Fiends in the mail the other day. Guess i read them in the wrong order.

message 23: by Ravenskya (new)

Ravenskya  (ravenskya) That's okay though, they are still great books - probably among the funniest I've ever read

message 24: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 0 comments I know You suck made me laugh alot.

message 25: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments I really don't like westerns, but I really loved Dancing with Wolves

message 26: by Donald (new)

Donald (nocdar) Chick lit is a genre I could do without, But I've read a couple of books from Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. They are light reads and Janet is a funny writer.

message 27: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments I would not classify Jodi Picoult as chick lit. It is neither light nor humorous

Kathy wrote: "I don't much care for chick lit but have recently been borrowing or buying anything I can by Barbara Delinsky & Jodi Picoult."

message 28: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments Okay. It's just to me Chicklit is more Bridget Jones zaniness and fluff which is what created the genre. I think of people like Jodi Picoult as just general fiction (and usually quite somber at that)

message 29: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments Bridget Jones Diary was Helen Fielding. I enjoyed Devil Wears Prada - that is Lauren Weisberger.