75 Books...More or Less! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive (Intros & General) > Favorite Genre?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karol (new)

Karol Do you have a favorite genre (or 2 or 3)? Let us know what kinds of books you like to read the most.

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) I read almost anything, but if I had to chose my favourite genres would probably be fantasy and historical novels.

message 3: by Penny (new)

Penny Poetry, classics, and historical fiction are my favorites. But, I'll read almost anything, too.

message 4: by Suziqoregon (new)

Suziqoregon I read a variety - I tend to bounce around from genre to genre. I tend to read mostly mysteries, though.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) Hmm I couldn't choose one genre. I like modern fiction mainly, (gory) crime & mysteries, some sci-fi or fantasy (witch or vampire stories mainly, historical fiction and some classics but I have to be in the mood! I'll give anything a go though!

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Christian historical Fiction

Historical Fiction

Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Speculative Fiction

Romance...

and on and on...

message 7: by *Nan* (new)

*Nan* (nan4471) I read several different genres but I lean toward some sort of mystery or suspense and they I also read alot of contemporary fiction.

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) Margaret, I love Christian historical fiction too. Have you read "The Mark of the Lion" by Francine Rivers? That's one of my favourite series.

message 9: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 89 comments Okay, I admit. I also love mystery and suspense...

Kiwiria, I have not read that series by Francine Rivers, but I have gotten my hands on the first one and plan to read it. They do look really good.

Francine Rivers Mark of the Lion Complete Set

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) Make sure you have the second one readily available when you finish the first, because it ends with a major cliff-hanger.

The two first can easily be read without the third though.

message 11: by Karol (new)

Karol Like most of you, there are several genres I enjoy - as a matter of fact, I'll read almost everything as long as there is nothing explicit (sex, gore).

I tend to read more mystery/suspense, historical fiction, and nonfiction than other things. But I've been known to read war stories, westerns, sci fi and romance!

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) My favorite genre is young adult fiction.

message 13: by Penny (new)

Penny This is my favorite Francine Rivers' series, too. Truly unforgettable. Redeeming Love is my favorite stand-alone.

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2 comments I love Francine Rivers also--and my favorite all-time book is Redeeming Love. But all of hers are very good. I hope to be able to read more books next year--I think I have read about 35 so far this year. Looking forward to hearing more from the group!

message 15: by Karol (new)

Karol Hi, Skybirdsmom. Nice to see you here . . .

message 16: by Angie (new)

Angie (wallabygold) My favourite genres would have to be classics, mysteries, historical fiction and have just started enjoying fantasies.

message 17: by April (new)

April (aprilc) I am all across the board when it comes to books! Right now I seem to be obsessed with vampires. I think that about 15 of the last 20 books that I have read were about vampires in some way, shape or form! But that is unusual for me. I like "light" and pop fiction for the most part - romance, mysteries, chick lit, some horror... I read for the pure (sometimes brainless) pleasure of it! If a book make me think too hard, I don't always enjoy it -- I was an English major in college and when a book gets that literary, I-probably-have-to-write-a-paper-about-this-tomorrow feel I tend to zone out!

Of course since joining goodreads, I have found that there are a lot of "new" classics that I should be reading, those that wouldn't necessarily be found on the airport paperback rack! I just read The Gargoyle (very literary) and that book should not be missed! I think having folks here to bounce my ideas off of has really helped me grow as a reader! I have missed having like-minded people to read with!

I look forward to being a part of this group!

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 265 comments Mystery and historical fiction. It's great when the two are combined.

message 19: by Matthew (new)

Matthew I have been hooked on Historical Fiction, especially about Ireland. I'm planning next to read some American Presidential Biographies. Rachel has introduced me to Fantasy (Piers Anthony)as well as Mystery (Ellis Peters).

message 20: by Linda (new)

Linda (saulteaux_woman) I'm also a historical fiction fan, I also love biographies, especially world leaders. I like knowing more about the politics that surrounded a certain situation like the Rwanda genocide, 9/11, etc. I also adore travel books, non-fiction. I love reading about places I'm going to or always wanted to be!

message 21: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I read just about anything with the exception of non-fiction.

message 22: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) My fav genre is the Memoir. Many of my already read books are made up of Memoirs/autobiographies.

message 23: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys0909) I read almost anything excpept romance novels, and sci-fi. My favorites are mysteries and thrillers, and contemorary fiction.

message 24: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I am definitely branching out... it used to be just contemporary fiction, but now I read Ya, historical fictions, fantasy, and mysteries. I am going to try to have a good variety for the book challenge.

message 25: by Merri (new)

Merri The only genre I usually don't like is sci-fi- with a few exceptions

message 26: by Mitabird (new)

Mitabird My favorite genre is paranormal romance, though I try to read a little bit of everything.

message 27: by Sandi (last edited Dec 30, 2008 08:23AM) (new)

Sandi (sandikal) I mostly read science fiction and fantasy, but I've branched out in the last six months or so and am reading a lot of literary fiction, mystery-thrillers and some horror.

I try to avoid vampire books, but I did read a Sherrilyn Kenyon book that was kind of shamefully fun. I'm not a fan of romance novels.

message 28: by Graceann (new)

Graceann (silentsgirl) I read a lot of different things, but my two favorite genres are historical fiction and biography.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) Mine is horror but find I am branching out to different books altogether. Maybe its my age!

message 30: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments My favorites are Science Fiction and Fantasy (especially since those categories are really broad and can encompass Adventure, Thriller, Horror, Mystery, Noir, Comedy, Tragedy and Romance- although I will freely admit that I prefer the Romance part as a garnish and not the main course!). But if you could look at my bookshelves you'd see a healthy amount of non-fiction too (mostly ancient history).

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mark of the Lion Trilogy (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Francine Rivers (other topics)