The Book Challenge discussion

a-m > KiwiKathleen's Twelve-Cubed Challenge

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) I'm always much better at reaching goals when I have written them down, so this is a great forum.
My challenge for the coming year (and today is the 14th of November in New Zealand, so my challenge will finish on the 13th November (in New Zealand) 2009:

Read 12 books from "My Bedroom WaitShelf"
Read 12 books from my "Waiting to Read" database
Read 12 books from the book "100 Christian Books that Changed the Century" (in chronological order, of course) - (and potentially quite difficult to actually find the books, seeing the first one was published in 1899 - however, I have read that first one, and am plodding through the second).

That doesn't sound like a lot, but I also will have all the reading I am required to do for my study (7 papers to complete my degree), and there are the books that we read for the Book Discussion group from my old workplace (prior to abandoning paid employment and becoming a mature (aargh!)full-time student). The latter will probably only be 7 or 8 books next year, so that's not a lot. And then there's the occasional book that my daughter has borrowed from the library and says, "Mum, you'll love this", and rather than add it to my database I take the opportunity and read it immediately.

But if I'm disciplined, I can do it.

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) Well - it's nearly Christmas Day and I'm behind in this already. I haven't read a single thing that isn't for my study since my current course started on November 17th. This mighn't be manageable!

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) Ha! Picking it back up and there is promise. Progress to date:

"My Bedroom WaitShelf" - 1 book read, 11 to go.
(=Unwrapping His Message)
"Waiting to Read" database - nothing yet read, 12 to go.
"100 CBCC" - 1 book read, 11 to go.

In my defence (for being still rather behind), I have read 3 books for the course I'm currently doing, am halfway through a recommended-but-boring-but-I-really-should-finish book (recommended by my Supervision person), and have read the novel my son gave me for Christmas.

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) Going well(ish).

"My Bedroom WaitShelf" - 1 book read, 11 to go. STILL (though there are 2 books on my wading-through pile beside the bed that are getting there).
"Waiting to Read" database - 1 book read (= Nine Parts of Desire), 11 to go (but the 2nd begun already. This is good!).
"100 CBCC" - 1 book read, 11 to go (but again the 2nd is partially completed).

I still need to pick up the pace - I'm now 2 months since beginning this Challenge ...

And the Defence says: Since my last posting I have also read another book for my course, have finished the recommended-but-boring book, and have read a completely new novel, which unfortunately doesn't fit in any of my 3 categories because it wasn't on my database or my shelf and was only written recently (so clearly isn't one of the chronological 100, which starts at the beginning of the 1900s).

However, the Defence hasn't got a leg to stand on, says the Prosecution. The case is Black and White. Sadly. So I'll either get it right or I won't. No excuses.

message 5: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) MBW - unchanged
W2R - 2 books read (and the 2nd still in progress, but I read another one from the list in between = Immortal in Death)
100 - slowly progressing but the total is unchanged

message 6: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) MBW - 2 books read, 10 to go. Yes! (just finished = Whykickamoocow).
W2R - 4 books read, 8 to go. (just finished = The God of Small Things, Rapture in Death)
100 - groan .........

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) I've been roaring through J.D Robb's ".. in Death" series and that is knocking off my Waiting to Read list very nicely. I'm wondering slightly if I'm not cheating by following one series rather than reading a range of authors/titles from my list, but then again I did have all of these listed separately and they're fun.
So where am I now? Well - it's 2 and a half months since I started this challenge. I've done:
MBW - 2 books read - that's alright, especially as there's another 1 halfway through.
W2R - 6 books read which makes me halfway to goal already (added = Memoirs of an Invisible Man; Ceremony in Death)
100 - still plodding ...

message 8: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) This is good - I'm getting ahead of myself in the two easy sections:
MBW - 3 books read and the halfway-through one still going (added = The Lovelock Version)
W2R - 7 books read (added = Vengeance in Death)
100 - only 1 chapter of #2 to go ...

message 9: by Kathleen (last edited Feb 09, 2009 12:43AM) (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) YAY!!! Finished that last chapter, and have started the next book, and I think I'm going to enjoy this one.
My Bedroom Waitshelf - 3 books read.
Waiting to Read - 7 books read.
100 Christian Books That Changed the Century - 2 books read.
I started the Challenge on the 14th of November . . I wonder if I can read the 3rd "100" in 5 days to get that total to 1 for each month ... though I'm well ahead on W2R. That, however, is potentially easier so I don't think I can rest on my laurels. College has started, but University has another 3 weeks to go, so I can still get some advance reading done.

message 10: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) I think I've been enjoying my ".. in Death" series too much!!! Soon I'll have read enough of them to complete the Waiting to Read portion of this Challenge, and then what'll I do? Will I have to leave any more of them until I've completed the other 2 portions? I think I WILL have to do that. Oh dear.
So here's my current status:
MBW - 3 books read; and 3 half completed
W2R - 9 books read (added = Holiday in Death, Witness in Death)
100 - 2 books read; #3 going quite well

message 11: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) This has been really nice - I'm staying a few days at a friend's to get away from everything, and I've been READING. So I've added to my tally quite nicely:
MBW - 5 books read (added = The Scornful Moon, Darkhouse), & the other 1 half completed still more or less half, but it's one of those dipping-into books anyway
W2R - 10 books read (added = Judgment in Death)
100 - 2 books read (unchanged )
Might finish another today...

message 12: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) I've miscounted somewhere because my Shelf lists 19 but I'm just adding one to a previous 17.. . .
Found it! Didn't add one of the completed half-completed books. So:
MBW - 7 books read (added = The Blue Rose (finished a few days ago), The People's Act of Love)
W2R - still 10, and have a couple waiting at the library for me
100 - still 2, and have been a bit challenged this week re reading online.

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) Slowing down. University started at the beginning of last week (March 2nd) and now I have tons of Required Reading to do, and tons of extra-reading to do for assignments ... Where am I right now then?:

My Bedroom Waitshelf - 7 books read, with 1 sitting out in "the Vault" to dip into while I have short study breaks, and another dipping-into book at my bedside (it's a slow-dip type of book), and mind you I'm also reading through 2 Art magazines, but I can't really count those because they're not BOOKS, and I'm very slowly putting the stamps into last year's NZ Collection (very beautiful annuals with all the Stamp Releases of that year) and reading the articles that go with those ...

Waiting to Read - now 11, with 3 on order at the library

100 CBCB - slowly, slowly

message 14: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) I left out Miss Potter, which was an easy read admittedly, but it's still a book and was from my bedroom waitshelf. I read it a few days ago. So:
MBW - 8 books read
W2R - 11 (the 11th was Conspiracy in Death)
100 - 2

message 15: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) I started BookCrossing a little again, so I got a book off my WaitShelf that I picked up at a BookCrossing meeting (in November 2007) that I had managed to get to. So:
MBW - 9 book read (added = Notes from a Small Island)
W2R - 11 books read
100 CBCC - 2 books read
I'm concluding reluctantly that the last 12 is unrealistic. It might be different if I could read them in print, but I really don't like reading online, and that is the only way I'm going to get hold of most of the 100. Ah well - at the end of my Challenge I'll make an adjusted estimate for my next Challenge. Not a problem.

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) A tardy ..in Death book came in to the library, so I rollicked through that. I'm also currently reading 2 others from that Waiting to Read list - they'd come up in conversation with other people (not the ones who originally recommended) and had a pertinence to my studies, so I thought it a good idea to get them from the library despite the wads of Required Reading for University. I'm coping.

Currently therefore:
MBW - still 9, with 2 in progress
W2R - 12 (added = Loyalty in Death), and 2 in progress
100 CBCC - still 2, but getting closer to the end of the third one

message 17: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) Yes!!! I finished #3 of the 100CBCC list. I do hope, that as I move through the book and closer to this century, I might find some of them in a physical copy. I DON'T like reading online. But ...
Anyway:
MBW - still 9, I think
W2R - 16 (added = People of the Book, Midnight in Death, Betrayal in Death, Interlude in Death)
100 CBCC - 3 (added = Up from Slavery)

Yes, that adds up - I have 28 books listed in my 12-cubed challenge category. I'm clearly not going to complete the 12 in the 100CBCC, but I'll more than compensate in the other 2.

message 18: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) Something has happened to my arithmetic. My category says 31 books, but I thought I've only added 2... Oh no - another ".. in Death" as well. Okay, so:
MBW - 11 (added = The Verge Practice, The Wide White Page (which I've been reading over the last couple of months so has appeared here as a dipping-into book in progress), which reminds me that I must say that I've removed the other in-progress book as I know I won't get back to it until next year when I have the time to do all the exercises in it)
W2R - 17 (added = Seduction in Death
100 CBCC - 3 (I've located the next one, and will start reading it when my eyes are less tired than they are now)

message 19: by Kathleen (last edited Jul 13, 2009 10:12PM) (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) My Bedroom Waitshelf has now reached its total, and I think, as I'm way over in the Waiting to Read category, I should stop recording those. Maybe I'll just top up the totals every now and then. So:
MBW - 14 (added = The Knot Garden, The Ghost, The White Mists of Power)
Actually - no. I'm going to take the surplus ones out of my Book Challenge category so there are only the first 12 in each of MBW and W2R. And I'll record now only my progress in the 100 CBCC.
Where that is at the moment is that I've started #4. I think I could be a little hopeful that I'll catch up on it .....

message 20: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) Things just get in the way - but the biggest obstacle in this book challenge now is that I'm having to read online. I hate it! Still, I have finally completed #4 of the "100 Christian Books that Changed the Century".
So:
MBW = Done.
W2R = Done.
100 CBCC = 4.

message 21: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) I mucked about trying to download a copy of my #5 of the 100CBCC, till I discovered that all I was getting were recorded versions. No thanks. So then I managed to find a copy through AbeBooks and purchased it (nice and cheap) along with a few others from the list. And then I dithered about starting to read it. But I have begun and I will persevere.

message 22: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) Sometimes one has to accept that ultimate success is not achievable. Here we are a week into October, and though I finished my first two parts of this Challenge (which were the My Bedroom Waitshelf = 12 books, and the Waiting to Read = 12 books), I haven't got a chance of finishing the 12 from 100 Christian Books that Changed the Century. Ah well, such is life. I have, however, just finished #5 in that last list. Not too bad, considering I have waded through several that I haven't enjoyed at all.

#5 was "Hurlbut's Story of the Bible", published 1904 and a roaring success, apparently. I have reviewed it.

message 23: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) In June I did some searching on AbeBooks and got a few copies of upcoming books for my 100CBCC, so I have #6 to begin on immediately. It's an edited version - the editor has simplified his writing style, and made the language inclusive. I applaud both editorial changes. It has also had Study Notes added. Right now I'll just read the original author's writing. If it's any good (a very subjective comment, I know) I'll use it later for prayer and reflection.

message 24: by Kathleen (last edited Oct 26, 2009 05:16PM) (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) Finished - the 5th of 100CBCC (=The Power of Prayer). But it's not something to use later. I'll keep it, but only for the sake of the collection.
MBW = Done.
W2R = Done.
100 CBCC = 6.