The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this series. Sadly Jordan passed away last year but Brandon Sanderson is completing the last novel.

message 2: by silvia (new)

silvia  | 282 comments i've started it this year. read book one and have the 2scnd on the tbr pille. hoping to read it before the end of the year but its so long... It will ruin my reading average.

the series is so huge it takes a lot of effort to read it. I'm not sure if I'll be abble to do it. I'm focusing on it one book at a time

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

bnoir: I think they are quick reads. The fourth book which is really long I read in about 5 hours while my daughter was in surgery. They are so addictive. I really want to start reading them all again in June because the final book comes out in the Fall of 2009.

message 4: by silvia (new)

silvia  | 282 comments It took my almost a week to read the first book :P

message 5: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments The problem with this series is that I can't read just one. If I read the first book again then I will be compelled to read the entire series. I'm actually planning on doing this whenever Saunderson finishes the last book. I can't wait to revisit Rand and all the Aes Sedai again.

message 6: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments I've just read the Second One. Couldn't pick up another.. maybe when i came to know that it was such a long series, I decided to quit.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Logan: the next book is said to be out Autumn of 2009. I want to re-read the whole series. I check monthly for an exact date! I am so OCD for this series!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Fiona: you got to keep reading they get really good. I love the Lan and Nyneve, but I would have to say that the whole story and characters just amaze me!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Atishay: don't be scared by the length. they are quick reads.

message 10: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments Yeah, but they were sooooo.... slow, and this comes from someone who has read LOTR 5 times. I don't know, maybe I need to give it some time. I'll pick the other parts again if I'm in mood.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 437 comments I think I stopped reading at the same point Fiona did. I loved the first 3 or 4 books, but then nothing seemed to happen in the last 1 or 2 I read. At the time I was reading, there was no end in sight for the series, so I gave up on the whole thing.

message 12: by Robinhj (new)

Robinhj | 6 comments
I loved the first half then it started getting bogged down and the main characters started getting irritating. Equally irritating are the many womens groups. The 'Witches', the 'Wise women' and the 'Sailors' are all just the same characters with different names and costumes.

What is it with male authors and their love for bossy 'Great Aunt' characters that treat all the men like naughty children and get away with it? Is there something Freudian at work here? I find characters like Polgara from the Belgariad etc. irritating enough but Jordan has given us about 100 in one book!

I will probably read the last book if my wife or daughter buy it but I don't think I will be re-reading the whole series. It probably would have made quite a good 6 part series but he just pushed it too far.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the first 7 or 8... I stopped because the next books hadn't been published yet. I remember enjoying them, but I'm not sure I want to go through the whole series again, and I don't want to go read only the last few books.

message 14: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 338 comments I got irritated halfway through because nothing ever seemed to get resolved. You can carry a series on forever, but for goodness sake, don't carry the same problems through the whole series! Resolve some things and create new problems or I am going to get mightily bored and disconnect with the story. I may give the series another go if people say the last book wraps things up sufficiently.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 5 comments I was very sad when Robert Jordan passed away. I've found that unfinished novels that are finished by someone else aren't usually the same. But there will hopefully be closure. I agree that it dragged on and on during some very long chapters. And my favorite characters sometimes didn't get mentioned again. Sometime next year - maybe during vacation - I'll have to go through the whole series again, to get up to speed for the last one. I do this every time there's a long wait for the next in a series - which means I often have read the first one 6 or 10 times more often than the later ones!

message 16: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I loved the first one, but by the fourth book I just couldn't get myself to read the rest.

message 17: by Jane (new)

Jane (jane_jones) | 51 comments IT's a shame he died before he finished - but all in all I think this series was too long.

message 18: by Robin (last edited Dec 21, 2008 12:57PM) (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments They are such an icon in the industry it is embarrasing for me to say that I've not read them - especially considering I'm married to a fantasy writer. My TBR is very long at this time but maybe before the last one comes out I can get around to seeing what's what.

Wife of GR author: Michael J. Sullivan | The Crown Conspiracy (10/08) | Avempartha (04/09)

message 19: by Sara ♥ (last edited Mar 03, 2009 02:30PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) My problem with the series is that they've gotten SO SLOW. Before he died, Robert Jordan said something to the effect that the series should have ended in 6 books, but that his publisher wanted him to extend it, so he did. I really wish he would have stuck to 6 books.

And I CANNOT keep track of the characters anymore. When I sit down to read, I have to have one of the SEVERAL websites like this one: http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~karlh/wo... , specifically dedicated to keeping the characters straight, up in front of me, or I'm completely lost! There are HUNDREDS of characters! It's ridiculous!

I haven't read Book 11 yet, and I won't until Book 12 is about to come out. I need to find a summary of the first 10 books, because I'm starting to forget major plot points...

I'm really sad he died though. But his wife took copious notes about what was supposed to happen in Book 12, so I'm sure it will turn out all right. I've heard good things about Brandon Sanderson. I really wanted to read the other 2 prequels Robert Jordan had planned though. Has anyone heard if Sanderson is going to do those as well?

message 20: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I've read the first three and greatly enjoyed them. I'm hoping to pick up the rest as soon as I finish a substantial amount of books on my mount TBR.

message 21: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica | 50 comments I couldn't finishe the series. Got to about book 7 and just got to bogged down in the multiplying story lines and hundreds of characters. I told myself I'd read them all when the series was finished but I'm not really feeling any desire to do so.

However, I disliked most of the couples. They all seemed so hasty and thrown together.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Avempartha (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael J. Sullivan (other topics)