Janet Tronstad - Dry Creek & Other Stories discussion

Mrs. Hargrove's place > What's the worth of an apron?

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 1204 comments Mod
Mrs. Hargrove often wears one of those old-fashioned bib aprons in the various Dry Creek books. She comes from an era where an apron was an important part of a woman's daily life. Do you ever wear an apron?

message 2: by Angela (last edited Dec 26, 2011 10:15AM) (new)

Angela Holland (bookaunt) I don't personally wear an apron. But my husband's grandma wears one around the house all day until she is done working for the evening. You rarely see her without one.

message 3: by JanetTronstad (new)

Aprons used to be almost a uniform, didn't they Angela? I suppose it was to save on washing the dresses in days when people had fewer clothes.

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela Holland (bookaunt) I think they were part of the uniform. It makes sense if you think about it though, it would save on your clothes. Everything would land on the apron instead of your clothes, maybe I need to start wearing one, lol

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (welachild) | 24 comments I wear one every once in a while. My moms is definitely a part of her daily routine, she wears one in the kitchen and when she cleans.

message 6: by Wyndy (new)

Wyndy | 1 comments I used to wear one all the time, now only when I remember. I'm very messy and an apron saves my clothes from stains that simply don't come out. My friend's mother was from England and she always wore a smock over her clothes when she was cleaning or cooking. I always thought that it was a great idea, covered the whole top and no ties.

message 7: by JanetTronstad (new)

My friend, Darlene, wanted to share more about aprons and asked me to make this comment for her.

Grandma's Apron -- The principle use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a holder for removing hot pans from the oven; It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears. From the chicken-coop the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven. When company came those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids; and when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms. Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove. Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron. From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled it carried out the hulls. In the fall the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees. When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds. When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner. It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron" that served so many purposes.

message 8: by Rose (new)

Rose De | 2 comments I love that story, Janet. :-)

I often wear one -- they are pretty and spare my clothing.

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela Holland (bookaunt) Janet - that is a nice story. We had a lady at church one time who did a skit with old aprons and it was similar to your story.

message 10: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (Mitzi_wanham) | 100 comments My Grandma was a lady with an apron round her waste...i had a whole poem about what she used it for and was still a lady, but can't remember what it all was. it might have been My Mother was a lady. not sure.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jennafraugh) | 126 comments I wear them all the time! I have several different ones. Even have of my grandmother's old aprons. I love them. They are so homey and keep the clothes clean.

message 12: by Kimberly (last edited Dec 27, 2011 08:31PM) (new)

Kimberly I wear an apron when I bake cookies but rarely any other time. I like them but if I know Im not going anywhere...I dont care if I get dirty its half the fun!

message 13: by Judy (new)

Judy | 277 comments I have one but never wear it. It's a cow pattern.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 147 comments I wear one once in a while when I bake, but not regularly.

message 15: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Hansen (goodreadscomValerie_Hansen) | 16 comments Barbara wrote: "I wear one once in a while when I bake, but not regularly."

My memories of my grandma seem to always include an apron. Funny, but that's the way I picture her. I bought some fabric a while back, intending to make aprons for fun, just never got around to doing it. There are some nice retro patterns for sale now. And if you really want a shock, look up how some of them are priced on the internet! Whew. Grandma had no idea!

Val

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jennafraugh) | 126 comments Valerie wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I wear one once in a while when I bake, but not regularly."

My memories of my grandma seem to always include an apron. Funny, but that's the way I picture her. I bought some fabr..."

i love the retro ones! But they are expensive. I found a free tutorial on pinterest for sewing aprons, so I want to try it out one day.

message 17: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Jennifer wrote: "Valerie wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I wear one once in a while when I bake, but not regularly."

My memories of my grandma seem to always include an apron. Funny, but that's the way I picture her. I bo..."

I love Pinterest for that stuff :)

message 18: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 252 comments I am older so remember aprons on Mom and grandma a lot, but dont wear them myself except an occasional time or two. It is probably something that should come back into style...

message 19: by Susan F (new)

Susan F | 71 comments My grandmother always wore an apron. She had everyday aprons and 'fancy' ones for Sunday or when guests were coming over. She sewed gingham aprons that she hand embroidered with a cross-stitch pattern.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jennafraugh) | 126 comments Kimberly wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Valerie wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I wear one once in a while when I bake, but not regularly."

My memories of my grandma seem to always include an apron. Funny, but that's the way ..."

ME too!

message 21: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) I wear a bib apron every time I go into the kitchen! Reason: I'm a messy cook! I've ruined blouses unprotected!

I have mine from estate sales. I even bought a vintage pattern for bib aprons at one for the day they can't be found any more!

Forget the frilly half aprons!

message 22: by Jan Marie (last edited Dec 31, 2011 07:26AM) (new)

Jan Marie Newby | 2 comments Like many others, I wear aprons only occasionally. My mother-in-law, on the other hand, was seldom seen without one. When we would go to visit, especially on holidays, she would almost always meet the women at the door with an apron for each. It was her unspoken way of letting everyone know that they were expected to help in the kitchen. Not that I ever needed a reminder of that! However, some of the sisters-in-law wouldn't lift a finger to help until it was time to eat - then they were first in line! LOL

message 23: by Susan F (new)

Susan F | 71 comments Jan Marie, Your mother-in-law sounds as though she was a character. I like it.
Lyn, I'm a messy baker. :)

message 24: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) Well, then, SF, I'm not alone! And yes Jan Marie's mil was my kind of gal!

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 135 comments I loved your Apron story Janet. =)
My Grandmother used to wear one,..and I have a couple that I wear sometimes.
I really like Aprons, they look nice and save getting your clothes dirty!

I have a e-friend, who is going to be opening up a
apron store on etsy.com soon!

message 26: by JanetTronstad (new)

I found this poem at several places on the internet and thought you'd enjoy it --

The strings were tied, it was freshly washed, and maybe even pressed.
For Grandma, it was everyday to choose one when she dressed.
The simple apron that it was, you would never think about;
the things she used it for, that made it look worn out.
She may have used it to hold some wildflowers that she'd found.
Or to hide a crying child's face when a stranger came around.
Imagine all the little tears that were wiped with just that cloth.
Or it became a potholder to serve some chicken broth.
She probably carried kindling to stoke the kitchen fire.
To hold a load of laundry, or to wipe the clothesline wire.
When canning all her vegetables, it was used to wipe her brow.
You never know, she might have used it to shoo flies from the cow.
She might have carried eggs in from the chicken coop outside.
Whatever chore she used it for, she did them all with pride.
When Grandma went to heaven, God said she now could rest.
I'm sure the apron that she chose, was her Sunday best.
-by Tina Trivett-

message 27: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (welachild) | 24 comments I love that poem! And it's so true.

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jennafraugh) | 126 comments Aww I love it!

message 29: by Melody (last edited Jan 08, 2012 10:54PM) (new)

Melody | 304 comments I wear an apron at work. I scoffed at the idea at first, but now whenever I start to make food and stuff without one on, I go crazy! I find myself constantly needing to wipe my hands on it, such a blessing not having to always find a cloth or paper towel!

message 30: by JanetTronstad (new)

I wear an apron when I do major cooking as well. In fact, my sister got me an apron for Christmas with chickens on it (she knows I have a thing about chickens).

message 31: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 603 comments Mum use to wear aprons when she was cooking she had quite a few and had quite a few. they were the half aprons. I use to have a few of those to. In High school we had to wear the pinafore type apron which went over the head and tied up at the sides. Then we made one with a bib in home ec and I wore that when I cooked. someone use to get flour everywhere.
i dont have one now.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 76 comments I wear one when I am baking. They can be very usefully

Janet Tronstad - Dry Creek & Other Stories

unread topics | mark unread