Vegan discussion

Recommended Vegan Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rift (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Rift Vegan (riftvegan) | 2 comments What are your "must reads" for vegans?

I highly recommend Gary Francione's Introduction to Animal Rights: Your Child or the Dog? I'm currently reading Rain Without Thunder: The Ideology of the Animal Rights Movement.

Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World was pretty good, tho it's been a while since I've read it.

I've actually got a pretty long list tagged "Animals - Nonfiction" but a lot of it has welfare leanings. Any other recommendations?? TIA!

Happily Vegan,
rift

message 2: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Heather Hofmaster (livingdeadgirl) | 3 comments Oooh, those all look good. I remember looking at Vegan Freak a little bit. It's been a while since I've read stuff like this...I'll have to get over to the library :D

message 3: by Laloofah (new)

Laloofah | 12 comments Hi rift (and everyone!)

My list is more geared toward non-vegans exploring veganism for both ethical and health reasons, (though I still enjoy re-reading and referring to them, even after 7 1/2 years of being vegan).

In no particular order...

"Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating" by Erik Marcus
"The Vegan Sourcebook" by Joanne Stepaniak
"The Food Revolution" by John Robbins
"Mad Cowboy" by Howard Lyman
"No More Bull!" by Howard Lyman
"The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell, PhD

And tops on my vegan "to read" list are...

"The World Peace Diet" by Will Tuttle, PhD
"The Dreaded Comparison: Human & Animal Slavery" by Marjorie Spiegel

message 4: by Amalthea (new)

Amalthea | 3 comments The book I am currently reading is "Vegetarian America: A history" It is a history book focused on the vegetarian movement. I must say it is a little disorganized, but overall a very interesting read with good information. I recommend it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and group. I'm really excited to find a 'vegan' group! On my 'must-read-soon'(meaning, it is on my night stand)...

"The China Study" by T.Colin Campbell.PhD
"The World Peace Diet" by Will Tuttle

I would LOVE to read either of these as a group?! Is that something we could do? Is it something anyone would want to do?

message 6: by Laloofah (new)

Laloofah | 12 comments Hi, Dharma!

Have you read either book since you posted that note? I've read The China Study about three times, and my copy is - as often happens - on loan to someone. :-) I think you'll find it very interesting. I found the second half of the book particularly illuminating. (Dr. Campbell is the nicest man, if you ever get a chance to hear him speak, don't miss it!)

The World Peace Diet is still in my stack of "to reads," don't know when I'll get to it, but I've sure heard great things! My life is too hectic and unpredictable these days to offer to read it along with you, but I hope you'll post your impressions of both books here!

Happy reading! :-)

Laloofah

(PS - Hi, Rift and Amalthea!) :-)

message 7: by pinktheory (new)

pinktheory I really want to read The China Study...even more so now that it seems to be a good read. Gary Francione also has a new book out: Animals as Persons: Essays on the Abolition of Animal Exploitation. Anybody have a chance to read it yet?

message 8: by dara (new)

dara Has anyone read Meat Market? I'm curious.