Page to Stage discussion

Off Topic > Off-Topic: Reviews

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) | 91 comments Mod
I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we could post reviews of shows we see, even if they're not related to literature.

Alison, how was Hairspray?

message 2: by Alison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Alison Oooooo--my own question! Hairspray was cute, fun, and fabulous. I loved the music and the choreography. The story was irreverently funny and tackled some pretty big issues involving self-image and desegregation (I had no idea). I wanted to buy the soundtrack, but the line was long. I have seen neither movie, but now I want to see both. That Tracy was so precious, I wanted to squeeze her.

Anyone seen either movie?

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

I've seen both movies. The original John Waters version is so cheesey. The new movie was really good, although some of my favorite songs were either cut completely or shortened. But the choreography is fantastic, and James Marsden was so good as Corny Collins.

As far as the cast recording goes, you can download it on iTunes. I recommend downloading some songs from the Original Broadway Cast, and some from the Mostion Picture Soundtrack. Personally, I can't stand Marissa Jarret Winokur's voice as Tracy (too nasal) and Niki Blonsky sounds much better, but like I said there's a lot cut from the film version.

message 4: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 4 comments Personally, I loved the John Waters version, haven't seen the new one, but I really want to. I really loved Ricki Lake, but I think I will love the new girl too. I am going to try not to compare the two when I see the new one, rather take it on its own, because I do think it will have some dramatic differences. Either way, great story!

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

My good friend Kyle Martin is touring as the Piano Man in Movin' Out and we went to Reno to see it today (and got to go backstage! Yay!). Kyle was fantastic, as were the rest of the cast and band. But it's not a show I probably would have gone to had Kyle not been the lead.

But if it's coming to a theatre near you, I recommend you find out when Kyle is performing (the role is so demanding, it's shared by two singers) and go see it! He's awesome. And go to the stage door and tell him I said hi!

message 6: by Alison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Alison Sounds good. I stood in line for over an hour this week for tickets to the stage version of High School Musical (I have kids). Hope it's good! It's not until January, but I'll keep you posted on my critical analysis (haha).

message 7: by Alison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Alison By the way, I saw that Hairspray: The Movie goes on sale November 20.

message 8: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Tiffany | 3 comments Les Mis is my all time fave. It was just superb! I have also seen Annie Get Your Gun with Tom Wopat and Marilu Henner and Cats (not a favorite). I have seen tons of other shows at local theatres, schools, etc, but these were actually Broadway touring companies. Wicked is coming close by (4 hours) and I am dying to see it.

message 9: by Alison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Alison Tiffany: where is Wicked going to be showing? If it's close to you, it's pretty close to me.

Cats bites!

message 10: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Go see Wicked!!! It's wonderful. But don't expect the book. Enjoy it for its beautiful music and comedy.

message 11: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Tiffany | 3 comments It's going to be in St. Louis at the Fox Theatre. It starts right around Christmas time and ends after New Year's. I wish I could go but to much going on to go at this time of year!

message 12: by Alison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Alison Thanks for the tip! Not too far from here. I'll look into it.

message 13: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 4 comments in a whisper....i liked cats....shhhhh

message 14: by Alison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

Alison Entertainment Weekly's website has posted their 25 favorite movie musicals. It's kind of fun to see. Hairspray is included. If anyone can't log on and wants to, send me a message with your e-mail address, and I'll e-mail it to you. I'm thinking all 25 would be a nice Christmas present.

message 15: by Marlaina (new)

Marlaina i totally know a guy that's works for EW. any one knows Mike auseillo?

message 16: by Charly (new)

Charly | 46 comments My wife just got in from the road company presentation of "Happy Days The Musical" she said it was entertaining, with good voices, with mostly new songs. Didn't go so I cant do more than relay the message.

message 17: by Charly (new)

Charly | 46 comments We saw a production of Hair last night performed by the Rhode Island College Theatre Department and it was awesome. Every now and then you come across a college production which is top notch and this was such. There were some absolutely marvelous voices and an evergy leve that befit the musical.

Anyone else follow college theatre?

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Did they get nekkid?

message 19: by Charly (new)

Charly | 46 comments It was very well done. They turned their backs to the audince as the lights lowered and after moving to the music in a sort of shadow dance they gradually formed a tableau which to the artistic credit of the group was so strategically planned that no one was really "exposed" and then they went to black for the break.

message 20: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 70 comments Mod
Similar to what happened, Charly, when my college did Hair 2 years ago. They were up on a balcony and they were backlit in such a way that you didn't really see a lot. I think you could see the women's breasts, but not that much else...most of the audience applauded and hollered anyway!

message 21: by Charly (new)

Charly | 46 comments In truth the talent level and the voices were so awesome the audience was far more caught up in that than the nudity scene.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

I don't know if I've said this before, but even if I had it bears repeating...

If you get the chance to see Billy Elliot, do! It's the best show we saw last fall in NY.

message 23: by Charly (new)

Charly | 46 comments My wife and daughters just saw The Color Purple in Providence and she said it was the best show of the season. Very good.

message 24: by Alison (last edited Jun 14, 2009 08:42PM) (new)

Alison Had the opportunity to see Curtains this week here in Memphis. Somehow Memphis got the rights to do it outside of L.A./New York first (no idea how--certainly not the cultural Mecca of...well, anywhere). Anyway, one of the high schools here did it, then our community theater. One of my girlfriends played "Nikki". I thought it was an EXCELLENT show--great songs, cute, and funny--very entertaining. Then I read the original reviews of the Broadway show which were mixed, but with great things to say about David Hyde Pierce in the lead (Tony). Kind of burst my bubble a little (the negativity). But I'm telling everyone to go see it--I thought it was hilarious. I think it's already or about to start a national tour.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

I have seen the original with David Hyde Pierce and I liked it a lot! I don't know if I'd want to see it without him though.

message 26: by Becky (new)

Becky | 22 comments I am so jealous! I love the CD with David Hyde Pierce and was just thinking its a show I would love to see, if it ever makes it to the west coast. On a different note, Catch Me if you Can is debuting here and I'll be seeing it in August!

message 27: by Alison (new)

Alison Our Leitenant (I can't spell that!) was actually very good (and O.K. much cuter than DHP). But it probably helped that I had nothing to compare him to.

Catch Me If You Can is on Stage?

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky | 22 comments Catch Me If You Can is a new project from the Hairspray "team" (I'm not sure if its just the producers or what!) It opens in Seattle this August!

message 29: by Charly (new)

Charly | 46 comments We are going to Menopause the Musical this Sunday. It is being billed as a humerous review.

Will report after the show.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Alison: we just got word that Curtains is currently playing (or just about to open) in Parkersburg, WV. So it sounds like as soon as the rights became available people snatched them up!

message 31: by Charly (new)

Charly | 46 comments Well we saw Menopause the Musical today and it is absolutely hilarious. It deals with the isssues of the Change in songs rewritten to popular music of mostly the 60's and 70's. Its about a 90 minute show that has you laughing for most every one of them if you have had any exposure to someone going through the change.

The show is sponsored by a charitible foundation and is touring. they also sell merchandise like cardboard hot flash fans with proceeds going to ovarian cancer research,

You can check out menopausethemusical.com

Not exactly your taraditional father's day celebration but it was great fun and the voices were very good as was the choreography.

message 32: by Alison (new)

Alison I guess so, Sarah. I enjoyed it.

I actually heard Menopause was hilarious, too, despite having an unfortunate title. :)

10 days 'til Wicked for me!

message 33: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 70 comments Mod
I'm looking forward to seeing a production of Carousel next week. I ought to have paid attention to where the theatre was before buying tickets though--apparently the theatre is 2.5 hours away! Oops.

message 34: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 70 comments Mod
Got back from the theatre last night at 12:30pm after having gone to see Carousel. I love the musical, so in some ways it was worth the 5 hour drive, on the other hand, I don't think I'd ever go to this theatre again just to see the show.

The set was simple but effective, the costumes horrendous, and the acting/dancing/singing ability of the cast was mixed.

message 35: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 70 comments Mod
Looking forward to seeing South Pacific at Lincoln Center next week.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Speaking of South Pacific and Lincoln Center, did you hear that Kelli O'Hara had her baby? A boy.

message 37: by Becky (new)

Becky | 22 comments I'm excited because the tour of South Pacific is coming this way later this year, or early next so its on my list to see!

message 38: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 70 comments Mod
Just saw South Pacific at the Vivian Beaumont on Saturday night, which I very much enjoyed. The set was excellent and worked very well for the show. The replacement for Kelli O'Hara was good, I thought. (The person from Grease I think?) A 30 piece orchestra playing live is always a treat (particularly after that pared down version of Carousel with 2 pianos I saw 3 weeks ago).

Mary Stuart with Janet McTeer and Harriet Walter was a real treat to see two such fabulous actresses perform live. Had some issues with the directorial concept--didn't totally work for me, though I can guess at what they were going for.

Little Mermaid--hmmm, well I've loved some of the other Disney musicals (seen Mary Poppins four times, Beauty and the Beast twice), but I was disappointed in The Little Mermaid--not to mention that I felt a lot of the concept/costumes were "borrowing" from other shows like The Lion King and Mary Poppins. I felt like the show couldn't quite make up its mind what it wanted to do. I enjoyed some of the new numbers, particularly the one Flounder had, but it was not as intrinsic as some of the new songs added to Mary Poppins.

message 39: by Sarah (new)

I don't even want to think about how the music of Carousel must sound with only 2 pianos. What a tragedy, since that is some of the best music Rodgers & Hammerstein wrote.

message 40: by Rachel (last edited May 25, 2010 06:43PM) (new)

Rachel | 9 comments I saw Wicked back in November, I think two Sunday's before Thanksgiving. It was fantabulous!! LOVED it. Since then it has taken top in my favorite musicals, out-beating Phantom (which I saw spring '09 for my birthday). I had Donna Vivino's (Elphaba's) standby Meredith Kaye Clark, but she was still amazing. I mean, you have to be to play the role. In my opinion it's one of the most demanding female roles on Broadway, both emotionally and physically. The costumes and scenery were amazing and stunning. The music is great. I listen to it a lot.

I also saw Little House on the Prairie around Christmas. And I have to say that I really did enjoy it. It's quite a bit different from her actual life, but what adaptaions haven't been? Her books even were. The set and costuming was simple. The actors were great. Melissa Gilbert was surprisingly good. I also had Laura's standby and she was good. I really loved the music in it.

message 41: by Katri (new)

Katri (Valancy) | 7 comments It's way too long to be posted here, but I thought some of you might be interested in reading my review of the Budapest production of Spring Awakening, which I saw this March. It's a very unusual production of the musical - basically it's staged as a modern school class putting on the show and there's interaction between the actual story and this meta-level of the classroom play - and very interesting and well-made, and I did my best to describe it and compare it with the usual production, the previous Hungarian production and the Wedekind play. You can read it here: http://musicalvillage.proboards.com/i...

message 42: by Charly (new)

Charly | 46 comments Not sure if this is off topic, but I wasn't sure where to put it. We saw Trinity Rep's performance of Camelot last night. I think this would meet the criteria because it is supposed to be an adaptation of TH White's "A Once and Future King." It was absolutely wonderful.

message 43: by Charly (new)

Charly | 46 comments My wife and daughters saw a touring company of Les Mis last night at Providence Performing Arts and said it was the best version they had ever seen.

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 9 comments Yay! I wish I could have gone when it came to Denver, but they were a lot of money and I didn't plan it ahead of time. THough I am hoping (no, going to go to) Wicked when it comes in May.

message 45: by Charly (new)

Charly | 46 comments They have a very reasonable season ticket package at the location my wife goes to.

message 46: by Charly (new)

Charly | 46 comments We saw a wonderful presentation of Merchant of Venice last night. I guess it doesn't really fit here since it was written as a play. Interesting take on some of the characters. Providence's Trinity Rep Company always puts their own stamp on a play.

message 47: by Charly (new)

Charly | 46 comments Saw a masterful performance of King Lear last night. Our local company Trinity Rep is doing a collaborative with Dallas Theatre. It will be there later in the year.

message 48: by Charly (new)

Charly | 46 comments Saw Frank Galati's adaptation of The Grapes of Wrath last night. While the cast performed well with what they had as a play, the script was not anywhere near as true to the play as it could have been.

The performance was done in the round with a musical group to support the scene changes which would have otherwise been cast and furniture.

If it comes to town and you have read the book you may wish to save your money.

message 49: by Charly (new)

Charly | 46 comments We saw an adaptation of Beowulf into a rock music show, at Providence's Trinity Repertory Company recently. There were a few jokes along the way that you got if you had read the poem. A somewhat tongue in cheek and not overly gorey or gruesome performance.

Less than half the audience stood at the end. Usually this troop has the entire audience doing a standing ovation. I was not among the standees but my wife was.