Alpha Heroes & Spitfire Heroines discussion

Authors & their stuff > Anne Stuart

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (ladykatherinebookgoddess) | 18 comments Who wants to discuss Anne Stuart novels?

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I will admit that she can make me like what most authors cannot. The cold, cruel, seemingly heartless hero doesn't work for me all the time. Her Ice series featured men who often contemplated killing the heroine which is not a turn on for me. But she had a way of turning them around. I have read several by her and she has a way of writing that keeps me reading even when I don't necessarily care for the characters or situation. I can't think of any one in particular that could be listed as a fave though.

message 3: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tammymerlot) | 90 comments I haven't read any of Stuart's novels yet, with the exception of the anthology she wrote with Jennifer Crusie. That I liked! So one of these days I will get around to the popular "Ice" series.

message 4: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (ladykatherinebookgoddess) | 18 comments Her Ice books are really good. I agree it is a little disturbing that most of her Ice heroes contemplate killing the heroine. But, it most definitely makes for a more dramatic and obvious redemption of the characters.
Her historical romances are quite surprising as well, and not nearly as violent.

message 5: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB (melissaann) | 33 comments I enjoyed the Soldier and the Baby. The Ice series is very intense and has quite a few fans.

message 6: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz | 666 comments Mod
The only ICE book where I thought the hero could've really killed the heroine if he had to (but of course he wouldn't) was BLACK ICE which was why I liked it the least. Bastien (fabulous name!) was a tad too cold for me.

I've had zero luck with Stuart's older books so far. I didn't like TO LOVE A DARK LORD, NIGHTFALL or MOONRISE. I managed to get her entire backlist, even the illusive BARRETT'S HILL, but I haven't given any more a go since those three duds :(

message 7: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis | 2 comments I loved Stuart. My favorite Stuart is A Rose at Midnight in which the heroine tries to poison the hero in the first scene.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 39 comments I adore Anne Stuart. I'm always down for discussing her. She's my favorite author. I just read Ice Storm and I thought it was marvelous. It's my favorite in the series so far.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 39 comments I love Soldier and the Baby!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 39 comments Eastofoz if you decide you don't want her older books, email me. I am looking for a lot of the older ones like Barrett's Hill and the Demon-titled ones.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 39 comments A Rose at Midnight is an all time favorite of mine. Very different for a romance.

message 12: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 16 comments East, Bastien is actually my favorite out of all the heroes in the series!

message 13: by Eastofoz (new)

LOL Gatadelafuente! It took me an eternity to get her backlist so I won't be getting rid of any -but thanks for offering them a home ;) I managed to get new copies of THE DEMON COUNT and THE DEMON COUNT'S DAUGHTER. They're so skinny! BARRETT'S HILL is sooooooooooooooo hard to find at a reasonable price! I actually got it off a swap site if you can believe that one and it's in good condition too :D

Crystal! Bastien is your fave!?! I thought it was Peter --I must be mixing you up with another Ice fan. I loved loved loved Peter :D

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 39 comments Worth a try, Eastofoz. I don't blame you.

message 15: by Eastofoz (new)

LOL! You know I got a copy (for free and in good condition even) of Christine Monson's Stormfire and only because I asked in a forum if anyone wanted to give away a copy and there actually was someone! So like you said it's worth a try :D

message 16: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 16 comments Oh East, Peter is absolutely delicious too. But Bastien is still the yummiest of the group. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 39 comments For some reason, Killian really got me. I love them all from that series. I didn't think Bastien was too dark. He was bonafide for what his job was. I was impressed that Anne didn't play nice with him and thereby cheat the readers.

message 18: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (ladykatherinebookgoddess) | 18 comments I absolutely loved all the Ice books, save for Fire and Ice. I think she could have gone a different direction with Reno.

message 19: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 117 comments Fire and Ice was my first book by her and I have to say that Anne is my kind of writer. I love how she writes tension.

I love reading and writing tension.

I can't wait to read more of Anne's books.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 39 comments You know how much I love Anne. I'm glad you enjoyed FAI. It's my favorite in the Ice series.

message 21: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 117 comments Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "You know how much I love Anne. I'm glad you enjoyed FAI. It's my favorite in the Ice series."

The library better have more of her books for sale.

I love her writing. I hope all the other books have tension and bad lines from the heroes.

I love a bad hero with a white heart.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 39 comments In my opinion, tension and good dialogues are hallmarks of Anne's writing. And she does dark heroes better than no other writer. I think you like most of her other books.

message 23: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 117 comments Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "In my opinion, tension and good dialogues are hallmarks of Anne's writing. And she does dark heroes better than no other writer. I think you like most of her other books."

Yes, she has dialogue in her stories. I like that. I guess, because I am a dialogue writer as well.

message 24: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (ladykatherinebookgoddess) | 18 comments I am very excited for her forthcoming trilogy...she is going back to historical romance it would appear.
Silver Falls was so intense! I need some historical escape from Anne. Plus, I need something else to look forward to since KM Moning is wrapping up the Fae series =)

message 25: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 117 comments Anne Stuart writes Historical romances as well?

message 26: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (ladykatherinebookgoddess) | 18 comments Arch- Read Lord of Danger! It is my all time favorite Anne book and one of my favorite books of all time!

message 27: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 117 comments Katherine wrote: "Arch- Read Lord of Danger! It is my all time favorite Anne book and one of my favorite books of all time!"

I'll see if I can find it Katherine.

I'm mostly into contemporary books, but read some historical books.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 39 comments That is so cool she's doing a historical. I absolutely love Lord of Danger, Katherine. :)

message 29: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (ladykatherinebookgoddess) | 18 comments Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "That is so cool she's doing a historical. I absolutely love Lord of Danger, Katherine. :)"

Simon Navarre is my romance novel dream man!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 39 comments I love Simon as well.

message 31: by Eastofoz (new)

Need some help with the title of an Anne Stuart book:

The plot is something involving a woman who's married to a gay husband who gets killed & she's then given in marriage to a warrior who's owed a favor by the King. It was written in the late 1980's possibly. Ring any bells?

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 39 comments Hmm. I don't remember one with a gay husband. Are you sure it's Anne Stuart?

These are her medievals, and I don't think it's one of these:

Lord of Danger
Hidden Honor
Lady Fortune

message 33: by Eastofoz (new)

I thought it was odd too Danielle but I haven't read everything of hers yet. Someone asked me if I knew the title and that's the info they gave me.

message 34: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Jun 23, 2010 08:04AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 39 comments I'm pretty sure that isn't a Stuart. There is a book where the heroine is married, Shadow Dance, but I don't think he's gay. He's impotent, I think. It's not medieval though.

message 35: by Eastofoz (new)

Thanks Danielle.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 39 comments You're welcome.