What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's Book- war, rationing, lots of potatoes [s]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:16AM) (new)

Rebecca | 37 comments Since I solved my first mystery, I thought I'd post another book I have been trying to remember.

I read this in 5th grade (1993-4).
Historical fiction.

I think the main character was female. She lived with her mother in a little apartment, and the air raid sirens were so loud they would shake the walls. Bombs fell nearby... very scary. She had to stand in line every day for rations, and all they got was potato gruel/soup. There was this fence around town that you weren't allowed to cross, and oneday she crosses it with a boy.

Any ideas?

message 2: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Rebecca | 37 comments bump.

message 3: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:47AM) (new)

Tara (snowytara) | 24 comments Just a couple of questions:
Fiction or non-fiction?
Any idea on the setting--London, maybe?
And although this is kind of silly, it's WWII, right?

message 4: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:50AM) (new)

Rebecca | 37 comments Fiction.

And believe it or not, I have no idea.

I feel like the title might have been someone's name... perhaps starting with a 'J'... I don't know if I even read the whole thing, so everything I mentioned may have occured in the first chapter. Which means the rest of the book (actual plot) could consist of just about anything.

message 5: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Rebecca | 37 comments another bump. I am hoping someone new to the group might recognize this... I've been looking everywhere!

message 6: by Heidi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Heidi | 1 comments By any chance was the girl Dutch and did they smuggle gold out of the town on sleds?

message 7: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Rebecca | 37 comments HAHAHA, nooo... but sounds like another book I posted about called Snow Treasure. Here is the original post:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show_g...

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 37 comments Bumping in the hopes new members will be able to help me.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 37 comments bump.

message 10: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 52 comments Are you sure she crossed the fence with a boy (not a girl)? I don't REALLY think this is it, but your description has some things in common with As the Waltz Was Ending by Emma Macalik Butterworth.

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 37 comments Thank you so much for helping, Wendy, but I don't think that's it either. I don't remember the main character being a dancer, and I think the title was very short. I really think the title was someone's name that starts with a J, but who knows. Also, when the book starts, you are right in the thick of things with the war, so you don't get a sense of what life was like before.

When they crossed the fence they were leaving the city area and stepping into a snowy field with some trees. They had to be careful to avoid the guards. I think when they come back into the city/town there is a bombing in the streets, but my memory of this is really fuzzy.

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily (emmy1066) | 49 comments Hi Rebecca. Probably not, but worth a shot:

The Sky is Falling
by Kit Pearson
In the summer of 1940 as the war in Europe begins to intensify, a reluctant ten-year-old Norah and her five-year-old brother Gavin are sent by their parents to safety in Canada where to Norah's dismay they are taken in by the rich Ogilvie family.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Falling-K...

message 13: by Morgen (new)

Morgen | 20 comments I'm trying very hard to find your book, Rebecca!

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 37 comments Oh my gosh!!! KT, you are my hero!!! That has to be it!! I can't wait to go back and read it now. It took a little over a year for this thread to be solved, that must be a record for us. Thank you so much!!