Public Librarians discussion

Support Staff

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Bob What is the ONE thing Professional Librarians can NEVER say?
"I don't know."

That's where the invaluableness of Support Staff comes in to play.
Support Staff are not afraid to say "I don't know."

"And furthermore, I don't care!"

God bless the Professional Librarians of the world, because without them, the Support Staff would be working all the easy shifts and they might have insurance benefits.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The truly Professional Librarian WILL say "I don't know." But will follow it up with "Let's find out."

Your best Support Staff are not afraid to say "I don't know. Let's ask the Professional."

message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt | 8 comments All levels of library workers are important and make libraries work. From the pages who if do their work correctly make it possible to find materials, to the director.
I really don't like the divide in our profession between MLS holders and Non-MLS holders. It takes many disciplines for our multi layered profession, and people should respect all.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Having risen from the ranks of page to the position I now hold, I couldn't agree with you more.

In fact, young MLS holders fresh out of library classes don't always appreciate the knowledge and personal experience that the non-MLS person has to offer. My 30+ years of working with the public don't qualify me as a "professional" and they don't count for anything if I leave my current employ for another library just because I don't have those three magical letters.

Yet, if I do take classes and become a "professional" my duties won't change and I price myself out of my position at the library where I work. Damned if I do and damned if I don't.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (sarcare) | 2 comments I've always thought the purpose of a well trained librarian--whether MLIS or not--is not to know everything, or even anything, but to know how to find the information. So we say "I don't know" all the time, because WE don't know, but they also say--"Let's find out" or "Let's look in some of our databases, and hopefully we can find somethings!"