La Cosa Nostra discussion

Accardo

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Craig (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Craig (Phillipwardlaw) | 3 comments Mod
The Genuine Godfather
By William F Roemer,Jr

For those who have read it.What are your thoughts on it?

message 2: by Rick (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Rick (RickMattix) | 28 comments It's a pretty fair book. It's easy to see of course that Roemer admired Accardo, a feeling he obviously didn't share for other Outfit members. The early chapters dealing with the Capone era have a lot of inaccuracies tho and Roemer might have been better off there with a researcher or coauthor more familiar with that period. Some, but not all, of these errors stem from his trying to inject Joe Batters into all the crucial episodes of the beer wars and possibly also from a desire to build him up a little. Accardo was a Capone gunman of course and was likely more prominent than anyone realized at the time (he was certainly noticeable in the early '30s) but Roemer seems to really stretch things there. Being a biography, he couldn't very overlook Accardo's early years but he doesn't seem to have researched them very well. He also includes the commonly repeated myth (where it comes from I have no idea but it's appeared in several books now) that "Tough Tony" Capezio was struck by lightning on the golf course in 1955. He wasn't. It was a simple heart attack that killed Capezio, tho he was golfing at the time. Roemer of course is on much firmer ground when describing the 1960s period that he witnessed firsthand. It's a worthwhile book but I think Roemer's first, Man Against the Mob, was much better.

message 3: by Craig (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Craig (Phillipwardlaw) | 3 comments Mod
I see your point.But that one and Joseph Bonanno's book Man of Honor are by far my favorits.

message 4: by Rick (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:33PM) (new)

Rick (RickMattix) | 28 comments Accardo is a fascinating guy. One of the Mob's true "untouchables" even moreso than Gambino and Lansky. He and Joe Aiuppa (who once sold machine guns to Dillinger) were the Outfit's last real survivors from the Capone era.